Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-19-2001, 02:15 PM   #1
Squishyface
Cooling Neophyte

Default interal vs external radiators?

Which is optimal for a water cooling setup without a chiller....an external or interal radiator?
Are there brand names that are better or is a junkyard the best source?
Is the best fan setup a bunch of 120mm...or a room fan, like a 24" monster ?
Sorry for the recent flurry of posts, but i'd like to set up my watercooled system with the least problems...perhaps even save enough money for a geforce3 *mwahaha*
And thanks for all your replies, cablepro

------------------
1.2Tbird @1352 air cooled. Soon to be watercooled :P
Squishyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Well, technically an external radiator would be better as it would be cooled by room temp. air instead of case temp air. Those big-ass junkyard radiators work really well, but they are usually not needed with just basic watercooling. The best setup? Depends what you are trying to cool... Let us know and we'll see what we can suggest.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2001, 04:49 PM   #3
phreenet
Cooling Savant

I perfer keeping everything inside the case just for the sake of neatness. I would get a Hayden Radiator if I were you, they are by far the best. People rarely call them by their names they just seem to denote a size a be done with it, most common size is the 4x4" verison. I use one of those myself and it works let me tell you!. But they make other sizes as well. If you want to external mount it, check out how the people at SwiftTech do theirs, http://www.swiftnets.com/barebone.htm . Another fine radiator is the DangerDen cooling cube, http://www.dangerden.com/product_pages/radiators.htm . They also sell larger models of the Hayden 4x4 Radiator. The only problem with the small 4x4 Radiator is that they are hard to find sometimes. I got mine at http://www.millisec.com . When you get a 4x4 radiator from them @ $45 bucks you also get a nice Sanyo Denki 92mm fan with chrome guard. Sanyo Denki's are only second to Panaflo (my opinion) because they are super queit and move a considerable amount of air. Also just for reference if you do get the 4x4 radiator, those are the same used in just about every watercooling project on procooling dot com, so that has to tell you something
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2001, 05:10 PM   #4
Squishyface
Cooling Neophyte

oops...forgot to include why i'm watercooling.
I'm gonna slap a 176W pelt on my 1.2TB and its gonna generate a whole hell of alot of heat at around 1.5G :P (90W if you can believe that little radiate program).
I think i'm gonna need a big radiator to even attempt to get the water back to room temps.

------------------
Unread 02-19-2001, 05:14 PM   #5
phreenet
Cooling Savant

Is that the same radiating program that Unaclocker has on his site? Where can I get that, I cannot get to his site for some reason
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2001, 10:30 PM   #6
Squishyface
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah, radiate is that little program that calculates wattage of cpus. I believe i got it from unaclocker's site. I searched on hotbot and couldn't find it. Maybe start a thread about it and someone will pop a link to another copy of it. If i knew how to set up a website, i'd put it on that...but i don't sorry

------------------
Unread 02-22-2001, 09:58 AM   #7
geroxx
Cooling Neophyte

I looked all over his website and could not find that program. Does someone have a link?

Thanks
geroxx is offline   Reply With Quote