Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-21-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
Stolid
Cooling Neophyte

Default Putting it all together

Hey guys, I was talking with Kevin last night, and when this topic arose he said to post up to the board. Anyway, I've been reading up on water cooling and I think I understand all the parts, but I'd be interested in how to put them together - physically. That is to say, where do I use Artic Silver and such. I'm interested in starting this system with just water cooling it initially and when I get that working putting a peltier in, so directions for both methods would help. Thanks a lot,

Stolid
Stolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 04:36 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

2 Words:

Duct Tape
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 04:55 PM   #3
phreenet
Cooling Savant

Hey it would be advised to keep reading, if you are at the point where you are still asking how it goes together then you arent at the point of doing it yourself. Its better to have a system that works then a system underwater. Keep reading, you will catch on.
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 05:59 PM   #4
SYX
Cooling Neophyte

lol it's funny how so many people ask this before getting water cooling like its something huge. hell im 16 and i did all the moding myself including soldering, 2nd waterblock-heatsink, etc, etc..

its not hard to figure out.. you put grease where u want good contact (read: cpu+coldplate or waterblock)...
SYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 05:59 PM   #5
SYX
Cooling Neophyte

http://masters.peon.net/syx66/pc/hth.htm
Unread 02-21-2001, 06:19 PM   #6
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

you mean hooking it all up? Well here... you'll need the following componenets minimum.
-Waterblock
-tube
-hose clamps
-radiator
-pump
-reservoir (optional)
Now you just connect the tube so the water goes from the pump to the pump to the radiator to the waterblock and back to the pump. If you have a reservoir, put it right before the pump.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 07:06 PM   #7
phreenet
Cooling Savant

SYX!!!! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO THE SIDE OF YOUR CASE. lol I saw that on virtual hidesout site, man why did you beat the case. Computer abuse is on the rise in the nation
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 09:35 PM   #8
Stolid
Cooling Neophyte

From my understanding it goes something like this:
CPU - Artic Silver Epoxy - Cold Plate - Water Block - Hose Clamps - Hose - Radiator w/Fan - More Tube & Clamps - Radiator - Back to Water Block w/More Clamps

That sound about right? Anyway, I was just wondering about a few things because - like I mentioned to Kevin last night - if the Epoxy is a glue, and just plain Artic Silver just conducts heat - why sell the plain stuff? Going to use regular glue - yeah, sure.

Anyway, later
Stolid

Stolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 10:07 PM   #9
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

You don't use a cold plate unless you have a peltier. Otherwise, it is useless. As far as epoxy vs. regular thermal paste, epoxy is PERMANENT so it would be best to not attach it to a CPU. You can use waterblock mounting clips to stick the stuff to the CPU.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2001, 11:00 PM   #10
SYX
Cooling Neophyte

Lol it does look beaten but those are actually holes I made before to hold down a copper coil I wanted to use as radiator in my first watercoolnig attempt.. now I painted over em, but on pick they look like dents not holes hehe...
Unread 02-21-2001, 11:01 PM   #11
SYX
Cooling Neophyte

Need to get a big plexi glass window )