Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-04-2001, 02:27 PM   #1
ck42
Cooling Savant

Default Another pump candidate for me

Was doing some reading in a aquarium thread FAQ. Apparently this pump is desinged to sustain high pressure in conditions where flow is restricted.

So, where all these other pumps out there lose their GPH when actually put into a system, this one should actually be able to pump close to spec even going through all the 3/8" line in a W/C system. Even nicer is the little dial control that let's you set the actual flow rate.

Any thoughts?

Hydrothrustor QV System 500 uses a quiet, magnetic concentric drive motor to pump water efficiently at high volumes. The pump, with its 9-10 PSI capability, is designed to gain speed as head pressure increases. It will continue to push water through the filter elements as they become clogged. 1.6 amp., 500 g.p.h. variable flow.

[This message has been edited by ck42 (edited 02-04-2001).]
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

/Me thinks "Expensive".
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2001, 04:07 PM   #3
ck42
Cooling Savant

$119...so yes, it's a little on the high side.

Latest news is I actually FOUND the friggin site finally where the Hydrothruster pumps are listed (Was NOT an easy thing!). The site listing is incomplete and pretty crappy.

They give specs on one of the pumps and call it a 'silent' pump rated at 70db!!!

70db is silent?!!!!

I've emailed them anyway to get the scoop.
Unread 02-04-2001, 07:07 PM   #4
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

While you are going for really big pumps, there are Supreme Mag Drive pumps that push 2400 GPH over 22" in head pressure.. hehe.. I'd bet you would blow a line off REALLY easily there... I think it only draws 110 watts though, so maybe it has a 'steep' flow/(head pressure) chart.. who knows.
Unread 02-04-2001, 07:19 PM   #5
ck42
Cooling Savant

Basically what I'm looking for is a pump that can ACTUALLY pump something like 250GPH after it's been installed in a system with something like a 14 pass radiator....instead of falling to something like 60GPH like that one review showed.

I realize that this high of a flow rate may NOT be optimal but, I would like to have the ability so that I can restrict the flow downwards in order to FIND the optimal flow point.

All the while, I need something that is no more than 30db in noise level and also does not generate too much external heat and does not add more than 1-2C to the water temperature.

Now....that's not asking for much, is it?
Unread 02-04-2001, 08:39 PM   #6
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Actually.. I really like my current pump (it's a Little Giant). I forget the model number, but it's on my old article here on the site.. it's one of the big blue ones.... has good flow at a better than normal pressure (mine is a 205 GPH at 3 feet I think.. max head is something like 9 feet?)... I have a 40 pass raditaor with 3/8" tubing, and it pumps a good amount of water.... nothing spectacular, but nothing to laugh at either.... there is a LOT of resistance through the radiator.
Unread 02-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #7
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

well ok this is my pump:

sicca idra waterpump 1300l/h 288GPH
Quote:
IDRA is a fully submergible pump driven by a permanent magnet type synchronous motor. IDRA has a flow regulator fitted to the front section, which premits precision variation of the water flow. The pump has a 1/2” threaded outlet coupling. It is also possible to connect flexible hoses with an inside diameter of 20 mm., using the adapter supplied standard. When a wide platform base is required, the folding suction cup feet fitted on the pump can be used. This pump delivers a total of 25watts
i've thrown the regulator out and put a REAL regulator in place ..

CK42?? something for u? not much heat..

------------------
OC'ing is my middlename
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2001, 08:25 AM   #8
ck42
Cooling Savant

Freaky:

Thanks for the input.

Well, there are lots of pumps out there that seem like they would be ok according to specs. The one thing right now that I'm not sure how to tell from spec or otherwise is how low the GPH rating will fall once it's put into a W/C system with all the restrictions in the water line.

One of my other candidates is the Eheim 1050. But I'm not even sure of this pump's ability to handle restrictive loading and backpressure. The Eheim seems to meet criteria 2-4 no problem though.

What I'm looking for again:

1. Sustained 250 GPH even when restricted.
2. Small enough to fit in a case easily.
3. VERY quiet. Less than 30db if possible.
4. Low heat production #'s.

As for #1, I'm not entirely sure if the head hight rating of the pump is what tells us what happens to the GPH rating. It might only be PART of the equation. I'll find out soon though. I'm going to try and contact some knoledgable people on this topic and I'll post the info.
Unread 02-05-2001, 11:24 AM   #9
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Ok.. some pumps come with a data sheet that tells you how much the flow rate drops with pressure. The Mag Drive pumps I have here have this chart published... IIRC, it looks something like a bell curve. The max head pressure is the maximum head pressure it will still pump the TINIEST amount of water at.. ie, it will pump nothing over this pressure (the zero crossing point, with X being pressure and Y being flow).

I believe (as I've read from other people) that the Little Giant pumps (except the small, black plastic ones) are a bit better for pressure than other pumps (I've noticed this too). Also, my Little Giant pump is noiseless. I can't hear the thing at all... when I tried a Mag Drive, the first thing I noticed was the noise... really bad.

The only thing is that Little Giants draw more current than Mag Drives (my 205 GPH draws 1.1 amps @ 110 VAC, and is submersible...). But it also has a higher max head pressure than a 250 GPH Supreme mag drive pump. And for size? It's about the same size as Mag Drive.... but it's not a plastic casing... it's metal.

Good luck!
Unread 02-05-2001, 11:46 AM   #10
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

I dig that one at the top!

I would love to have a clear pump that would rule!

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor
www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2001, 01:48 PM   #11
ck42
Cooling Savant

Ok....some GOOD news.
Just got off the phone with one of the engineers.

The dimensions of the pump are 8" long X 3.5" wide. Pretty hefty in size but workable....barely!

Flow capacity: 10PSI (100GPH at 20' !!) Forgot to ask if that 100GPH rating was max because the other specs state that it's a 500GPH pump. Crap!

Does NOT add heat to the water going though the pump.

Outer part of pump basically only gets warm to the touch.

And the big question....How loud is the friggin thing?
I told the guy the web page says it's spec'd at 70db. He agreed. I proceeded to tell him that 70db is NOT considered silent in my books. After some more talk, he said that the pump is VERY quiet...ie, if held at arms left running at full output, there is only a barely audible hum-hiss whatever.

So...everything sounds great except it's a little on the large side....total flow rate still under question....subjective noise level (loudness not determined exactly)

I'm going to call the guy back and ask about the flow rate.
Unread 02-05-2001, 02:44 PM   #12
ck42
Cooling Savant

Ok...got an email with the PDF for the pump. Here's the FlowRate chart. It IS a 500GPH pump.

Now...just wish I knew how to calculate head height based on what I think my system will be.

[This message has been edited by ck42 (edited 02-05-2001).]
Unread 02-05-2001, 02:48 PM   #13
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

Hehehe.. I like the shape of the curve of the Little Giant pumps in that chart.

As for calculating the head pressure, you can do it, but as the pipeing becomes more complex (ie, gradually curved, sharp kink, resistance based on flow rate (differential equations, etc)) it becomes harder. I had a page linked one time that gave formulas for figuring out head pressure based one 3 things:

1) Type of material used (different material have different flow resistances, everything else being equal)

2) Diameter of tubing (or pipe)

3) How many bends or 90 degree angles you have.

So, if you have a mix of diamters (think tubing -> radiator here), materials, curved pipe, etc.. it'll be hard to calculate but you can get an idea. Use altavista, and search for calculating head pressure.

Rich W.