Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #101
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
3) need to provide a mounting challenge to pHaestus
I thought this was a funny joke... then I started testing the MCW6000-A today. Joke's on you though. A couple of pieces of thin double sided tape (to hold the blue holddown onto the copper top so the block can't "wobble") and temperatures look reasonably consistent.

MCW5000-A mounting was much better... SocketA shouldn't be an afterthought

Jag: An across the board 2C temperature drop is really very impressive given the same general design. Why NOT optimize this internal layout fully (lots of expertise) rather than jump ship to some new design that undoubtedly will demand years of optimization?

SOME users are willing to pay to get extra performance (Iwaki pump users are a good example). MOST think that they fall into the above category but have not fully optimized ALL their components for best temps. For those users a block like the MCW6000 will be a lot more forgiving I think.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #102
Jag
Cooling Savant

pHaestus, I understand what kind of decision was made there with the MCW6000 series, the only thing is that it seems that others are able to jump to new designs and obtaining good results (Little River/DangerDen).
Of course, once a certain goal is met, improvements will be added.It's only natural.
But, if you take a look at this roundup of 21 watercooling kits made by a french site (sorry for the linK:www.presence-pc.com/article-93.html) you'll see that a Innovatek Premium XXS(12v) falls close of the Swiftech 22500(mcw5000), considering that it only has 1x120mm/55cfm Papst fan.
Now taking into account the cost and performance of the two (Innovatek - 0,21c/w and Swiftech - 0,2c/w), this time I just would like to see Swiftech a bit ahead of them all.
At the end of the article you'll see also a interview with Mr. Gabriel Rouchon where he states that Swiftech will remain with the top of the line product segment.(It's in french, but Google has a translation option).
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:07 PM   #103
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

We don't care about poorly tested kits on a French website. Comparing kits when talking about waterblocks is approximately equivalent to... Well, something really stupid. Swiftech IS ahead. If you missed that, you missed a lot. 0.01C/W worse than the RBX, for 13 bucks less? Hmm... I see your point.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #104
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

well...
There are a lot of good german engineers and I suspect the newer kits from those companies ARE quite good.
Unread 05-22-2004, 11:32 PM   #105
killernoodle
Thermophile

And even if they perform like crap you cant beat their craftsmanship
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:48 AM   #106
Jag
Cooling Savant

[quote=AngryAlpaca]We don't care about poorly tested kits on a French website. Comparing kits when talking about waterblocks is approximately equivalent to...

Who's WE? Is it because it's french?
If kits don't matter why do you people talk about oem market and main-stream.
Dou you expect to build a oem market selling individual watercooling components?
Furthermore, I wasn't comparing MCX6000 to the RBX.
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #107
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag
Don't get me wrong.
2ºC is a improvement, no doubt.
What I meant to say is that Swiftech has the potential to do much better, and it sure made us feel this way.
At least to me, I was expecting something close in performance to the level of the waterblocks released by Cathar, nothing less, and that didn´t happened.
This "market" is not an OEM market, and any enthusiast is willing to pay a bit more to get an extra performance.
So, there's two new words: "value" and "foster scale".
You can build anything with these two, but it won't be a Ferrari.
Everyone has the potential to do better. Things cannot happen over night. Bill hasn't even been there a year yet? and already they have this new block that IMO is a huge step in the right direction for average users and simpicity and performance. I can't think of another block that combines all 3 as well as this block. Performance is only ONE of the factors in buying a block and this one offers the best price/performance/ease of use that I have seen.

Also maybe you misunderstand Swiftech's real market. From what I understand it is the OEM market in specialty cooling. Not us enthusiests. Maybe that has changed in the last few years though. I bet they make their real money on specialty OEM cooling applications. Could be wrong though.

I don't expect ANYONE to come out with something as good as what Cathar has done with the Cascade. There just isn't alot of improvment (physically) that can be had. It just costs to much to make these kinds of blocks.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #108
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

[quote=Jag]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
We don't care about poorly tested kits on a French website. Comparing kits when talking about waterblocks is approximately equivalent to...

Who's WE? Is it because it's french?
If kits don't matter why do you people talk about oem market and main-stream.
Dou you expect to build a oem market selling individual watercooling components?
Furthermore, I wasn't comparing MCX6000 to the RBX.
it is the POORLY TESTED part that is the main issue. Who knows how well they really do.
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:28 PM   #109
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Looks like it performs up there with Cathars stuff from pH's testing...

Unread 05-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #110
Jag
Cooling Savant

Jaydee please note: [quote=Jag] "... I understand what kind of decision was made there with the MCW6000 series.
Final note quoting you: "this one offers the best price/performance/ease of use that I have seen. Taking into account the market segment intended to reach, you're dead wright, and in this specific subject, Swiftech and Mr. Bill Adams came on top, managing to keep this delicate balance (taking in consideration the overall economy aspect).
A better definition of the direction watercooling will be taking in the future will validate (or not) the present opinions, we all are giving.
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #111
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Based upon the graph jaydee presented, no, we don't need to define it better.

This is top of the line performance, low price, all combined with a socket mounting system.

jaydee, where did you get that graph?
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #112
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca

jaydee, where did you get that graph?
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=9633
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:04 AM   #113
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Was going to start writing up reviews and came across this one. Why bother now...it's already been ClubOC approved!
Unread 05-24-2004, 08:39 AM   #114
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

pHaestus,

Great sarcasm! Keep up the good work!

Yeah, I always love the extent that sites like this go to in ensuring that they have a consistant test bench.

Anyone else still hate reviews that use ONBOARD tempreture measuring sensors and almost no real explaination of the testing method?

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #115
killernoodle
Thermophile

Wow, have you ever seen such a low temp difference between case temp and CPU temp as measured by my unreliable motherboard sensors? Absolutely not! Stop making fun of the guy, he knows how to write a good review. pH, you could learn a thing or two from his uber testing method.

As for the block, I think it is a great accomplishment that swifty could build a block that had the effeciency of the WW and the low cost of the thermaltake I'd buy it if I didnt already have a WW.
Unread 05-24-2004, 09:20 AM   #116
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Was going to start writing up reviews and came across this one. Why bother now...it's already been ClubOC approved!
hmm . . . .
not a lot of meat in that review
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2004, 10:28 AM   #117
UnloadeD
Cooling Savant

Well, I really like the block myself. Kinda reminds me of Hoot's pin/fin block without the maze. I'm really glad to see the move away from aluminum and the push fittings. I do wish the fittings were more like the ones on this rad:

Maybe in a next rev? It seems like they would be much more secure. Can't wait to see if the 1/2" version is a big improvement. Also I wonder if they are gonna do a tec version like the others. Mounting doesn't seem to lend itself to a tec, but I'm sure that hurdle can be jumped easily. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what comes outta the shop next.

peace.
unloaded
UnloadeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #118
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
hmm . . . .
not a lot of meat in that review
Hey, wait! They had a very nice picture of a digital caliper reflected in the baseplate...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #119
xgman
Cooling Neophyte

I need to see a review of the 6002 version with 1/2" barbs.
xgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #120
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

xgman:
Performance will be identical except a slightly higher max flow rate. It's more for ease of use with 1/2" systems than anything else.
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:45 PM   #121
syncmaster
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
xgman:
Performance will be identical except a slightly higher max flow rate. It's more for ease of use with 1/2" systems than anything else.
Do you think there would be greater temp changes, or would be minimal?
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #122
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster
"performance will be identical" Speaks for itself.. Or are you asking a different question?
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:48 PM   #123
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster
the graph would look identical... in a system the slightly lower restriction would get you a slightly higher flow and hence a minimal temp gain...
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #124
syncmaster
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
the graph would look identical... in a system the slightly lower restriction would get you a slightly higher flow and hence a minimal temp gain...
Thanks guys that answered my question!
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote