Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-14-2001, 01:21 PM   #1
Alives
Cooling Savant

Default Efficiency rating on waterblocks

Is there an efficiency rating on all these waterblocks that are floating around? as in a graph showing gph vs. amount of heat absorbed? Maybe someone with a calorimeter could do some tests and get some free waterblocks?
Alives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2001, 02:23 PM   #2
ck42
Cooling Savant

Alives:

If those numbers existed, there'd be no doubt which one performed best!

Where's the fun in that?

Seriously, pretty much all the people building these things are not scientific institutions. They are all just trying to use good sense in their designs.
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2001, 02:45 PM   #3
Alives
Cooling Savant

yeah but maybe the maze 1 is just as efficient as the maze 2 and only a couple more joules are absorbed by the maze 2...its not a bad assumption. It would also apply to heatsinks as well. I want a quantitative analysis not a qualitative one.
Unread 03-14-2001, 02:53 PM   #4
ck42
Cooling Savant

I think you're beating a dead horse...trust me, I think I'M the one who killed it.

No amount of bitching to these waterblock creators will get them to actually to the required tests to properly determine these figures.

You are prolly right about the Maze1/Maze2 thing...but, w/o numbers, we have to just go by the 'it makes sense that it should be better' type of analysis.
ck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #5
Alives
Cooling Savant

Im not saying they should test their blocks. Im saying some grad student who has access to calorimetery labs should do it. It wouldnt be hard to do either. You could do it with a thermometer and a styrofoam cup.
Unread 03-16-2001, 05:04 PM   #6
phreenet
Cooling Savant

Hey I took two years of Chemistry (Chem I and ChemII) let me tell you, if you want accurate results DO NOT USE a cup and thermometer. But that would be a cool thing. To be able to finally say which block is the best. But then again, that would only leave one company left to dominate over all others. then we will have a monopoly and everyone else would go out of business, and then inovation would be bought and crushed as that one company ruled all. Do you really want to buy your block from a company called Microwaterblock???

------------------
Blah Blah Blah
Overclocked Dual PIII 933
sitting on a VP6 mobo featuring liquid intercooling.
AIM[SN]: PhreeNET
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2001, 05:23 PM   #7
Freakyfrank
Cooling Savant

nah...

i'd buy a mac2-blok..

[This message has been edited by Freakyfrank (edited 03-16-2001).]
Freakyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2001, 04:49 AM   #8
Alives
Cooling Savant

The cup and thermo would be fine for this application. I've had up to half a semester of organic...dropped that shit. But really...this is important stuff. The design is only better if it takes away more heat...and if this inst the case then even though it may look good, its a piece of junk...kinda like those hondas with the fake sponsors...
Unread 03-17-2001, 08:15 AM   #9
phreenet
Cooling Savant

LOL, I hate people who think their hondas with teh coffe can muffer are the shit...Right....

------------------
Blah Blah Blah
Overclocked Dual PIII 933
sitting on a VP6 mobo featuring liquid intercooling.
AIM[SN]: PhreeNET
phreenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2001, 08:16 PM   #10
grep
Cooling Neophyte

if you had a temp sensor at the waterblock inlet and another at the outlet the difference in temp should tell you its efficency. higher = better. But its really not quite that simple, a little water moving slowly will heat up a lot, while a lot of water moving very fast will only heat up a little. So we also need to measure the flow speed and volume of the water.

Ron