Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south
Default Thermochill PA160 in US - When?

Does anyone have a timeline as to when the PA160 will be available form US distributers?
Unread 05-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Marci
Cooling Savant

A small quantity have been shipped to DangerDen iirc, so contact them to preorder out of that batch. They should be receiving them anyday now... Another batch will be on it's way to them within the next 2 weeks... either way, shouldn't be more than 4 weeks before they have stocks available if the first batch is already taken up...
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Many thanks.
Unread 05-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Cathar
Thermophile

Been playing with the PA160 radiator here which arrived early today, and have been getting some good results with it which pretty much shows that in every way it meets its design expectations or even exceeds them slightly, but I really need to cross-correlate my own results with a known quantity (i.e. measure a radiator myself that someone like Bill has and attempt to correlate/verify). Am truly doing a poor-man's version here though - no pressure testing and no actual air-flow measurements - just measuring performance with various fans attached and what I believe to be a fairly constant heat-load (110W +/- 3W or so), and measuring the delta between water-discharge and air-flow in.

With the Tricod fan on-board, which I don't have an exact PQ curve for but I would estimate it to be around a 45CFM free-air flow fan and in many respects seems quite similar to the L1A at 7V (since I have both fans and can run the L1A at 7V side-by-side with the Tricod at 12v).

Anyways, with the Tricod at 12.0v the radiator achieved a C/W of ~0.044, and with the L1A (~69CFM rated fan) at 12v, the radiator achieved a C/W of 0.031. Given that the L1A has a rated 30dBA noise level, I would say that the Tricod is perhaps ~20dBA in comparison. These were both achieved at a ~7LPM flow rate.

Would love to see the radiator tested on a more robust and accurate testbed. Wasn't Phaestus setting himself up to measure radiators?

As for the PA160's size, when I pulled it out of the box my first thought was "This isn't going to fit", but I dry-placed it in the 3 computer cases I had here and it snugly fit in the lower front of all 3, providing close to maximal use of the available lower-front space.

One thing I noticed was that it came with barbs/fittings of extraordinary length, at least a full 5cm (2") long in the barbed section, not even including the thread or spanner knurl. Needless to say I did not use the supplied barbs, but instead used some 1" barbed length fittings, and this made for a much more compact look.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
Marci
Cooling Savant

Yep, we received stocks of short stumpy fittings which were superb, but on reorder they sent stupidly long fittings that I also don't particularly like... am still trying to get short ones in quantity again...

I too had the same initial worries of the size of the thing against a case, but found the same. Tried it against a GlobalWin 802, Akasa Eclipse, LianLi PC60, Chieftec Dragon - all the classic designs that most others seemed based on these days, and it fitted without issues.

Last edited by Marci; 05-09-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Cathar
Thermophile

I should add that I was extremely pleased with the build quality and finish too. Easily the best finished radiator that I've handled, and the shroud is sturdy and excellent. Truly a clear step up from the common hack-jobs of reclaimed car cores (whether old OR new).

I'm really stoked about the performance that I'm seeing from it though. In every respect it allows the marriage of ultra-low noise fan use with good cooling performance, and for moderate fan noise offers what I consider to be great performance for something that can be compactly and easily be placed inside the case.

Gives me great joy to see the concept be brought to life as a reality. Thank you indeed Marci/Thermochill.
Unread 05-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
Marci
Cooling Savant

S'been a pleasure to be of service to ya d00d!
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

worth mentioning too the new shrouds.
they look very good.
http://www.thermochill.com/ps120.php
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
Marci
Cooling Savant

Just fabricated from the drawings I put up on overclockers.com at the beginning of the year after piles of e-mails asking if we could make and supply them... dunno why I didn't bring those out earlier!
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci
Just fabricated from the drawings I put up on overclockers.com at the beginning of the year after piles of e-mails asking if we could make and supply them... dunno why I didn't bring those out earlier!
Yeah I have 2 on the way... Any chance of ever seeing a single pass 120.3?

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
Marci
Cooling Savant

What would the justifiable gains be of having a single pass HE120.3 over it's current form?? (I'm not being sarcastic, just wondered if you could explain your particular need for it... from what we've seen of other single pass rads on the market, they appear not to be selling particularly well and bearing in mind minimum quantities for manufacture to keep the price as it stands for current HE120.3, it's a risk making up a batch that may sit and stagnate over a year... If there's a justifiable reason and necessity for a HE120.3 being made in single-pass form then it's easier for me to get it approved by the powers that be...)

Sidenote: for those interested I added production photos onto the ThermoChill site showing their fabrication in progress... see http://www.thermochill.com/plant1.php
Unread 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #12
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Marci I think you underestimate how single pass rads would sell if available I would bet my left nut that single pass 120.2's and 120.3's would outsell the dual pass version 2:1. Justifiable gains? Hmmm, a bit better flow rate and a bit better overall rad performance, as to how much is anyone's guess.

Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
aNonForums
Unread 05-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Size isn't a factor for me since I'll be putting this rad into a MountainMods UFO2 case.

Do I need to worry about whether I'm pushing or pulling air though this rad?
Unread 05-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #14
Marci
Cooling Savant

nikhsub - that wasn't the answer to the question I asked you. I've SEEN sales figures of singlepass rads vs regular rads, and the singlepass rads aren't moving. Justifiable means I need more than "hmmm, a bit better"... To get it passed management and the thousands of pounds of outlay to put into production, I need hard factual or hard theoretically confirmed info... Cathar produced all the theory etc and groundwork for the PA160, hence getting it into production wasn't a difficult task... financially, it's still a risk, but much less of a risk... If you can point me to info that would allow me to justify it to those that it needs justifying to, I can see what I can do... don't forget peoples' wages are at stake...

Pulling air thru a rad is always better, no matter what the rad, due to the nature of the fan and it's airflow profile (I think!)... so, side without shroud wants to be against a rectangular hole in front or top of case... with shroud and fan mounted on the opposite face pulling air into the case thru the core.
Unread 05-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Marci, I was under the impression that you just need to use different tanks. Anyway, I don't have anything quantifiable, as usual. pHaestus has a single pass BI3, wonder if he has any insight on the single pass vs. dual pass of the same rad?

aNonForums
Unread 05-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #16
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

I don't have anything quantifiable either; yet I agree nikhsub1 about single-pass radiators.

Since Radiical has released it's single-pass radiators a lot of people seem to have been recommending those instead of the normal versions; and what some people recommend is what other people buy.
Though I must say this happend very recent and again this isn't quantifiable and certain.
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #17
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Hmmm, I really don't want to mod the case if at all possible. How about another shroud on the "front" so that it could bolt up dirrectly to a 120mm fan opening, or even an aluminum or acrylic adapter plate?
Unread 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #18
RaptorRaider
Cooling Neophyte

The shroud is already on the 'front'.
Just connect the shroud to the fan and the other side of the fan to the case.
RaptorRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #19
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
The shroud is already on the 'front'.
Just connect the shroud to the fan and the other side of the fan to the case.
What he wants to do is have the fan 'pull'... He doesnt want to mount the bare side of the rad to the case. Another shroud is what you would need.

aNonForums
Unread 05-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #20
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Correct-a-mundo.
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #21
Marci
Cooling Savant

Another shroud would surely pose a restriction on the whole rad, reducing it's 160mm exposed surface down to the area of a 120mm hole... again defeating the purpose of the rad...

Why make/buy a low restriction rad, just to restrict it again during the mounting? Why go for the "how it's recommended" option on the orientation and airflow direction of the fan if you're not going to go with the recommended option for the air inlet? The benefits of one will likely be negated by not going with the other...

Easier and more satisfactory solution to me which would offer the best performance in your case would be to make do with pushing air thru rather than pulling, and mount rad < shroud < fan < case.
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #22
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Marci, I was under the impression that you just need to use different tanks.
That is the case, but again, minimum quantities to justify the workforce and keep the cost down to the same cost vs production rate of the current HE series.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't have anything quantifiable, as usual. pHaestus has a single pass BI3, wonder if he has any insight on the single pass vs. dual pass of the same rad?
A decent review showing the above with performance figures that highlight the benefits of single pass would certainly help things... but the same hurdle applies there as applies to getting the same info for a PA160 vs HE120.2...
Unread 05-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #23
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci
A decent review showing the above with performance figures that highlight the benefits of single pass would certainly help things... but the same hurdle applies there as applies to getting the same info for a PA160 vs HE120.2...
Well If you make me a single pass version and send it to me, I'll surely test it against the dual pass

aNonForums
Unread 05-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #24
MaxxxRacer
Cooling Savant

marci after im done with the current line up id be happy to do a review of it. nice comparison review between all the rads. (refering to a single pass tripple or double)..

provide some pressure drop numbers for it too.

but thinking about it from a logical standpoint i dont see why sinlge pass wouldnt outperform better. EDIT FOR REDEMPTION, but there is still the same total volume of water in the rad as a double pass at ANY given point when the system is running. and it most surely would provide some help in the flow restriction department.

Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.

Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 05-09-2005 at 09:56 PM.
MaxxxRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #25
Cathar
Thermophile

How does the water spend less time in the radiator?