Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-21-2005, 08:29 PM   #201
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Ssssh, no talking, I'm trying to listen and understand what they're saying.
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #202
9mmCensor
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Haired Git
Ssssh, no talking, I'm trying to listen and understand what they're saying.
Listening is easy. Understanding is hard. Learning is what its all about.
9mmCensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2005, 11:48 PM   #203
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

I know this horse is more than dead, but this strikes me as particularly concerning. Note the highlighted section, taken from HERE bottom of page 77.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums

Last edited by nikhsub1; 11-21-2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Change Page Number to 77
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:06 AM   #204
snowwie
Cooling Savant

aww man, I was hoping it had unlimited reliability and was future proof to simulate intel's chips well into 2010.
snowwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 07:01 AM   #205
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Also note that not all I-TTV's are created equally. Intel appears to make specific TTV's for each particular CPU (the stated resistance is typically different between models). I don't know what TTV Swiftech is using but I suspect it is one of the newer versions, possibly even modelling a dual core CPU???
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #206
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmCensor
Listening is easy. Understanding is hard. Learning is what its all about.
Scott and Lee, you are referred to post#183
there are many things I may not discuss
please do not assume that because you are not told, that something stupid was done by Intel, Swiftech, or myself

why would anyone, having gone to the trouble to make a dual core TTV we will assume, then use it to replicate a single core - when such single core TTVs already exist ?
- apply this to Intel, Swiftech, and the guy doing the testing
all incompetent ? possible, but not probable

Scott
I accept that your questions are genuine; each model improves on that before
if the tool were so flawed, do you not think that a better one would be developed ?
you are assisting in the 'condemnation' of a test method about which you, and clearly Cathar, have no experience and little real info
I am unable to do other than share my experience in a general manner

it is rather strange that the only 'info' accepted w/o question is from Cathar, who has ok testing (we accept) but no hard data sets at all
yet those who do provide data are subjected to claims of bias, stupidity, incompetence, etc

Lee
I wish you luck in dealing with the IHS issue
there seems some (considerable by those who do such) anecdotal evidence that the AMD IHS/CPU TIM joint degrades with repeated mountings (and thermal cycling if sub-zero), I have not heard of this issue with Intel CPUs (anyone ?)
-> so if you use an AMD CPU, how do 'we' know its TIM joint was/is ok ? (how do we measure 'ok' ?)
I would suggest that a before and after test be defined to 'qualify' the internal TIM joint to eliminate this question (raised by Cathar and does need to be directly addressed)
it you groove your CPU, you could then play head games using all the different CPU temps available for a rainbow of C/Ws (of course W is not known either); a pissing contest par excellance (which I KNOW is what you do not want)

you will have difficulty 'selling' bare die data to IHS users w/o defining the correlation, a task I would not assume
perhaps better to present bare die and IHS data separatly, the user selects that which relates to their actual application

realism never hurt
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 08:41 AM   #207
Marci
Cooling Savant

Quote:
-> so if you use an AMD CPU, how do 'we' know its TIM joint was/is ok ? (how do we measure 'ok' ?)
Good question hereby exemplified - we get frequent cases of NEW as well as 2nd hand / subjected-to-frequent-mount-and-dismount CPUs exhibiting ridiculously high temps on a setup that with the same model CPU formerly produced much better results. Repeat mountings showed no evidence of solution. Removed IHS, and resulting temps beat the hell out of the previous CPU with IHS that exhibited peachy temps.

ie: (worded better) Storm G4, D5, HE120.1 and some unsuitable fan. All variables constant (ambient, liq temp, flowrate, pressure, airflow etc)

[3200+ sample A] under load at 38 deg C. [3200+ sample B] under load at 49 deg C. Cooling system not changed. CPU is only change. Repeated mounting to elliminate. Only point that we have no control over is the IHS > Die joint. Remove IHS from [sample B] and temps become sound. Better than [sample A]. Remove IHS from [Sample A] and temps match [Sample B]. The only establishable flaw - IHS. Becoming more and more frequent round here, and we only handle AMD CPUs. Very rarely ever have an Intel CPU coming thru our doors. Lucky if more than 5 a year vs a massive quantity of AMD in comparison.

Thus I tend to assume watercooling market is predominantly AMD based. Or enough so over Intel users to warrant testing being done in preference on AMD based simulation rather than Intel.

Don't have experience of Intel IHS flaw rate to compare. Did you gain any info on sales levels whilst at Swiftech Bill, Intel blocks vs AMD blocks?? Universality of Storm rules it's sales levels out form being useful, but 6000 series would be... Is my assumption based on our sales reflected elsewhere by anyone else (block manufacturer would be handy here - DD, Swiftech)? It's at the point where we literally don't consider Intel at all in any of our equations... technical, sales, purchasing or otherwise. This is over 9yrs of sales at highstreet component level, highstreet off-the-shelf PC level, and online via enthusiast aimed online store.

Quote:
perhaps better to present bare die and IHS data separatly
Indeed - if no solution can be decided upon, simply (?) do both. Satisfies all arguments - before folks fall out past point of restore, which no-one wants. *passes round the chocolate biscuits*

However, those results only self-comparable unless all have access to same TTV and same Diesim - or correlative formulae provided to calc. Back to the same old worms... new can.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:06 AM   #208
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Stew is a source of 1st rate chocolate biscuits

cannot comment on sales, but Intel is not to be ignored
not everyone will pop the lid, that being said the longevity of an Intel CPU is worth considering - which apparently some do (?)
I do not use CPUs as heat sources, but were I to do so it would never be an AMD CPU due to the IHS TIM joint
- CPU heat is just heat, source size/TIM joint only difference

I have burned up early TTVs, I have never had an internal TIM joint separation, but I have sucked bonded TCs out of the groove while removing sinks (and pulled sockets off the board !)
the IHS succeptability to internal detachment depends on the TIM material, an AMD problem I believe (could be wrong, eh)

BTW, IF IHS detachment is an AMD issue, wth is all this Intel TTV crap with no known instances of a TTV debonding ?
'what if' is such fun
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #209
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

let me add something to the CPU IHS grooving discussion:
the IHS measurement in conjunction with the 'internal' CPU temp (any source), plus the bogus Watts, can establish a ref C/W for the internal TIM joint,
its degradation can then be tracked (no help if an initially 'poor' TIM joint though)

would work for any CPU with an IHS,
but I still would not use an AMD CPU (unless bare, which testing I do not do)

note that I initially drilled all wb bps, I have measured a lot of TIM joints and I distrust them as much as Cathar; huge sources of variability in every installation
and if degradation of the internal TIM joint is occurring, . . .
what is the point ?
cheaper I guess, if OCing is a hobby then CPUs are consumables

this last point leads to another conclusion:
if an enthauast uses an AMD CPU, it should ALWAYS be bare (else the performance 'advantage' is illusory)
??
(another made this same observation several pages ago)

Last edited by BillA; 11-22-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #210
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered

Scott
I accept that your questions are genuine; each model improves on that before
if the tool were so flawed, do you not think that a better one would be developed ?
you are assisting in the 'condemnation' of a test method about which you, and clearly Cathar, have no experience and little real info
I am unable to do other than share my experience in a general manner

it is rather strange that the only 'info' accepted w/o question is from Cathar, who has ok testing (we accept) but no hard data sets at all
yet those who do provide data are subjected to claims of bias, stupidity, incompetence, etc
No Bill, I do not claim stupidity or incompetence at all. All I am questioning is the TTV and its reported data, not the integrity of the people doing the testing with it, let's get that clear. I can appreciate those detailed things which you can not discuss. I am also very happy that this discussion has stayed somewhat civil, as I have said before there is no witch hunt here, we just want anwsers as does everyone else. Bill, if you can answer good, if not I understand; were any of the TTV's that were used socket 775 with the newish IHS as opposed to the old brick style IHS?

Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #211
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

RE the IHS with AMD vs. Intel; Intel used to have poor IHS to core mating, back in the Northwood days. I experienced a 2.6 which after removing the IHS I lost 9C, with 3 other Northy's that I popped the lid I lost about 3C. Intel today has a MUCH better way of bonding the IHS to the core and it is virtually impossible to remove the IHS from an Intel CPU today. I fear from what I am hearing that AMD has garbage IHS to core bond, until they fix this issue it would be best to pop the lid, this I am sure of.

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #212
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

current and applicable, if not defensible would not be used (goddammit Scott, you know me)
there is a 'bad' data set, the causes of which are speculative as some crucial facts/conditions are not known
but there are many good sets of data, both before and after the 'bad' set was generated

the TTV data is also generally confirmed by their CPU based testing

this is an amazing rush to prejudgment, nay outright condemnation, by an authority in the field
but I could be the fool instead:
Cathar has had a MCW55 for a number of months,
could it be that he DID test it and knows for a fact that the Apogee (derived from the MCW55) cannot possibly equal the Storm ??

the plot thickens
Cathar, did you test the MCW55 ?
anything you wish to share ?
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #213
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Bah I got locked out of forums and couldn't reply earlier. I (lol?) forgot my password.

Anyway my rationale for sticking with AMD CPUs for testing is due to the diode being accessible for my data acquisition. Motherboard readings are both coarse and unreliable and that's a bad combo.

But while playing with my hacked up AMD64 I quickly noticed something that probably plagues all modern CPU users: the damn things pop out of the sockets when you try to unmount coolers! This bends pins, this can mess with my wiring, and this probably affects the TIM interface as well over time. It also gives me pause before spending a lot of time getting test numbers (imagine if I have to start over with a new CPU every couple weeks!).

If I were to "pop the top" on my test box then this would be the reason why.
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #214
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

And to be fair, questions regarding the TTV started to surface LONG before the Apogee block, want to make that clear. As per Bill's testing (I think) the MCW55 just about matches the Storm as per Swiftech's data. A post by Les went largely ignored in the beginning of Sept. as seen HERE .

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #215
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I hesitate to suggest such heresy, but are no Intel CPUs candidates for OCing ?
focusing on the overclockability capability of the sink (yes I understand that there is compression/loss of 'sensitivity'), but even so ?

if you go with AMD do consider popping the top just for consistency
- just like resurfacing a heat die, need to add this devil to the mix too
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #216
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
I hesitate to suggest such heresy, but are no Intel CPUs candidates for OCing ?
Hehe Bill, I run my P4 at 4530Mhz every day, 24/7 at load too folding. Here is what it will do with my plain'ol water setup lol.

Validated: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=19923
Attached Images
File Type: png 5ghz.png (18.5 KB, 22 views)

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #217
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

lol
so can we save ourselves some grief and, for durability, use an Intel CPU to characterize CPU/sink performance when an IHS is used ?
(AMD data would be equal or worse depending on the TIM joint - lord that must tickoff someone loving AMD)
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #218
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Yes for IHS based CPU's Intel is where it is at in terms of IHS to core integrity IMO. Also, the NEWER IHS are far better than the old IMO.

New style

Old

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #219
Marci
Cooling Savant

And AMDs current IHS is similar to old style intel as shown above - more or less identical tbh. Whereas Intel's NEW IHS is very similar to earlier AMD CPUs... K6-450 era...

altho obvious refinements due to die shrinkage.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #220
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

ok, groove it to the exact center to take no more than a 40ga TC (smallest from Omega sets the size)
think about the TC tip and getting the IHS top surface temp

hope Lee or pH wants to do this, it would address the larger portion even of the enthauast users and 100% of the more casual owners who upgrade

err, not the AMD one
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #221
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Wow that looks good there Marci, didnt realize they switched. Now, can that lid be easily popped? Or have they gone to solder/epoxy as intel has? FWIW, I tried to get a soldered/epoxy'd ihs off of an Intel cpu, to no success. I stuck in in a 400 degree oven for an hour, froze it overnight, soaked it in googone, nothing worked. Believe it or not, the CPU still runs to this day.

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #222
Orkan
Cooling Savant

This whole IHS removal should just be excluded from the minds of testers. Until now, waterblocks that were tested were tested against "stock" cpu's. No modifications required.

Now... all of a sudden a company creates a WB specifically to address the new/larger heating surface... and testers think that it should be discounted because "real enthusiasts" pop off the IHS? Ridiculous.

I've been overclocking since 1996. If I'm not an enthusiast... I don't know who is. Yet I REFUSE to take a knife to my $600 X2 4400+ processor. It ISN'T going to happen, and I am quite sure I am not alone here.

Why would you risk your investment, when you may be able to accomplish the same cooling with a different waterblock? Not saying either way which block accomplishes this, but that is the claim.

I want the block that can cool my $6-800 processor as it is sold, so if I need to RMA it... I don't have to get out the epoxy and try to rip someone off.
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #223
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkan

Now... all of a sudden a company creates a WB specifically to address the new/larger heating surface... and testers think that it should be discounted because "real enthusiasts" pop off the IHS? Ridiculous.
No, I suggest you go read the thread, this is NOT about popping IHS's. The AMD ihs to core integrity is SHIT, no two ways about it. And, you obviously have not been reading or you would KNOW that Intel IHS's are almost impossible to take off

aNonForums
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #224
Orkan
Cooling Savant

I have read the thread, but seemingly mis-interpreted.

I fail to see the correlation between the AMD->core joint, and the performance of a waterblock.

If you take the same CPU, with its borked IHS... and test two waterblocks... the amount of heat given off by the cpu does not change. The IHS interface remains constant... whether it is borked or not.

ie: the amount of heat a waterblock can remove from said cpu... does not change based on how well the IHS is bolted on.

WB performance vs IHS problems?
I don't see how the two relate. I understand that it makes getting an accurate temp reading more difficult, but I don't see how it relates to the performance of the block.

Exact same heat source, two different blocks. I do not understand how the heat source being screwed up in some way affects the WB's ability to remove the heat.
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #225
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

"Until now, waterblocks that were tested were tested against "stock" cpu's."
not
only those not having or making a heat die, many have made heat dies (not only me)