Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-23-2001, 12:27 PM   #1
mosulliv
Cooling Neophyte

Default Ideas on how to build a water cooling rig on a tight budge? I Need help!!

Ok. You're talking to a college student here who's about to start another semester, so I have very little money left right now. I haven't OC'd my processor yet because I'm not sure if the current temp. is too high. (measured by asus pc probe and bios: cpu = 49C-50C idle and case temp = 35C idle) I'm thinking that in order to OC this i'm going to need water cooling. I want to build my own rig to save money, so I desperatly need ideas on how to find or make a radiator, what to use for a resevior, and where to find a cheap pump that will work. If anyone can help me out on any of this I'd greatly appreciate it. (I REALLY REALLY want to be able to OC)
256 MB pc 2100 DDR RAM
GeForce 256 DDR
mosulliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2001, 09:51 PM   #2
ondaedg
Cooling Savant

get a heatercore to use as a radiator. junkyards have them for cheap. got mine for 30.00 new at auto parts store. you can get a MAg Drive 250 pump for around 35.00. If you want a real cheap waterblock, buy one used off of someone either here or at the for sale/trade at hardocp
Unread 07-24-2001, 07:47 PM   #3
JasonC
Cooling Neophyte

I have currently been doing pretty much the same thing you are looking for (low budget watercooling system on college budget). For my radiator I went to a scrap yard, asked them for a copper heater core about yay big, handed them $10 and I had myself a 76 caprice heatercore rad.

For waterblock, you really gotta just buy a MazeII. You can go cheaper though.

Tubing and hardware, go to home depot. Cheap stuff.

Pump, again, buy a MagDrive 250GPH for about $45. If you wanna go cheap here, you can, but since you're going to be at college, I'd recommend getting a reliable pump.

With that setup you've spent about $105 including your Home Depot hardware.

Assuming you have some fans or something to put on the rad, the rest is just construction.

email me at kayak334@hotmail.com if you need any further advice since we are attempting to build similar setups (although since i started I have splurged quite a bit over budget).

Jason
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2001, 10:27 PM   #4
David
Cooling Neophyte

I used a Du-Bro fuel tank for my res. like in DH3, works well. I've got the 24 ounce.
Unread 07-25-2001, 04:21 PM   #5
vfrjim
Cooling Neophyte

Or go to Target and buy the nice 2 gal drink dispenser(all of $8), epoxy on a 1/2" fitting, works fine for me
http://www.dimonetonline.com/kgb/jim/front_water.jpg

Jim
vfrjim is offline   Reply With Quote