Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-28-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Another "New guy to watercooling" thread... But I have done my homework... I think.

Hey all!! I'm new here but have been reading around this forum (and lots of others) alot lately. I originally posted this thread on overclockers.com's forums but wanted to ask you guys as well. Anyways this is another one of those "This is the list of parts I plan on buying for my first watercooling project" threads hehe. So let me know what you think, suggestions are welcome . I've included links to all the parts' manufacturer's sites.

Pump -=- Swiftech MCP600 rev. 2
Unless someone finds a way to change my mind, this is almost definitely the pump I plan on buying. I have read nothing but good reviews about it.

CPU Block -=- PolarFLO CPU SF w/ 1/2" Barbs
I'm pretty sure that this is the block I'm gonna get. It has gotten very good reviews and looks frickin awesome too. I've even emailed PolarFLO a few times asking some questions and have got replies back (from the head guy himself, Steve!!) fast with detailed answers! None of that yes/no short answer crap.

GPU Block -=- PolarFLO GPU/Chipset w/ 1/2" Barbs
Again.... very good performer and great looks. One of the questions I asked PolarFLO was if this block would fit on my video card (ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro). They said that I would have to mod the mounting block for it to work. I'm ok with this.

Chipset Block -=- PolarFLO GPU/Chipset w/ 1/2" Barbs
This part is gonna have to wait due to the fact that this block doesn't have an adapter for Intel's Northbridge HSF hooks. Steve (the PolarFLO guy) said that the adapter should be out soon though . If you have suggetions on other chipset blocks which are good performers that work with the hooks let me know and I'll check it out.

Reservoir -=- Innovatek Tank O Matic or maybe Criticool WaterPlant 6"
I'm still deciding on this one. That Innovatek res is very nice looking but pricey. In the end though I'll prolly end up with it because I like to go "all out" instead of getting the cheaper version and wishing every day I went with the other lol. I'd have to switch out the fittings on the Innovatek though since I want all 1/2" tubing and it comes with 1/4" to 3/8"(I think?).

Radiator or Heatercore -=- Black Ice Xtreme or Black Ice Xtreme II or Appropriately Sized Heatercore
This is probably the hardest part for me to decide on. Those Black Ice Xtremes are really expensive but seem to do the job very well. I've done a little research on heatercores but not a whole lot. The main thing is it has to fit inside my case (CoolerMaster ATC-201b). I'm planning on putting the rad or heatercore at the top front of the case and making two blowholes for the fans(*gulp* putting holes in a $180 aluminum case isn't exactly what I do for "fun" lol). The space I have to work with at the top of my case is about 11" L x 5 1/2" W. I would prefer to have a rad or heatercore that will fit 2x120mm fans.

Tubing -=- ClearFlex 60 or MasterKleer (To go to the ClearFlex 60 in the link, type "85" in the Find box. For the MasterKleer type "82".)
All of it would be 1/2" ID 3/4" OD w/ 1/8" wall. I'd like to get some Tygon R-3603 tubing but c'mon..... $2.65per ft?!? That's crazy. I would really like to know how well that MasterKleer tubing performs compared to Clearflex 60 or Tygon. I've only heard a few "this is great tubing comments" but not enough to make me buy it. So let me know if you have any links to reviews of it or if you have used all 3 of them yourself and have your own opinion about which is best overall. Oh yeah, how much tubing should I get?? I was thinking around 15 ft? Does that sound like a good number when you factor in the mistakes I might make?

Two 120mm Fans -=- SilenX 120mm or possibly Evercool Aluminum 120mm
Those SilenX fans are sweet but expensive. I really really like how quiet they are though.

Additives -=- Dtek Visible Blue UV Dye and Zerex Super Coolant or Super Protector
Which of the Zerex products is better for H²O cooling? I've heard the Super Protector is clear (which is nice) but I think the Super Coolant is more popular.

Misc -=- Clamps and Shroud and Innovatek Fitting Replacements
This post is getting long and I've asked to many questions already so my questions about these will be in another post.

Well? Did I do my homework?? lol. So there it is, my first watercooling setup. All this good stuff is going in my first PC which I built about 5 months ago. I've been really happy with it except for the noise(stock Intel HSF) and the heat. Right now as I'm typing this(midnight) my CPU has an idle temp of 43c with 28c ambient . This afternoon was really hot and the CPU got up to 50c idle . So watercooling it should take that temp down a bit. I'm getting really excited about buying this stuff (but I'm the patient type lol). Once I get this rig setup I plan on overclocking this badboy but that's another story. Well thank you very much in advance and here are my system spec's (as if this post couldn't get longer hehe).......

Motherboard -=- Asus P4c800 E-Deluxe
CPU -=- Intel P4 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB
Memory -=- Corsair 1024mb XMS 3200 DDR
Video Card -=- ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro
PSU -=- Antec TrueBlue 480watt
HDD's -=- 120gb Western Digital S-ata 8mb Cache, 120gb Western Digital ATA-100 8mb Cache
Sound Card -=- Audigy 2
Speakers -=- Logitech Z-680 5.1 500watt
Case -=- CoolerMaster ATC-201b
Monitor -=- ViewSonic P95f+b
4 Case Blue LED CoolerMaster Case Fans
Aspire Fan Master 609 Rheobus w/ LCD
(I'll try and borrow a digicam to show you the system at the moment)
SnowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

cool avatar man
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Rotor
cool avatar man
Hehe.... Thx.... I didn't create it but I found it somwhere
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

PolarFLO CPU block: This is a bad performer. http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp Don't worry about NB cooling, as it offers nothing in either stability or overclock. The Innovatek reservoir (if it's the one I think it is) doesn't have a divider, so there will be lots of turbulence at the outlet, and it has little channels that will only be 3/8" or 1/4". 11*5.5 is plenty of room for a big heater core... Heater cores own the BIX so much it's a little amusing.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
PolarFLO CPU block: This is a bad performer. http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp Don't worry about NB cooling, as it offers nothing in either stability or overclock. The Innovatek reservoir (if it's the one I think it is) doesn't have a divider, so there will be lots of turbulence at the outlet, and it has little channels that will only be 3/8" or 1/4". 11*5.5 is plenty of room for a big heater core... Heater cores own the BIX so much it's a little amusing.
Bad performer?? I've read alot of reviews about it that say it kicks butt. Maybe I need to read s'more. I looked at your link but (call me stupid) had troubles understanding the graphs.
I've read that quite a few times but my northbridge seems to run really hot. I have a temp probe inside the heatsink fins (not near the die) and it's about 52°C average. Is that normal? Sometimes it's so hot I can't keep my fingers on it.
That Tank O Matic (you can click on all my part names for links w/ pic's btw) has two tubes inside it. One is long and one is short. The long one is the inlet so the bubbles etc. are already near the top of the res. The short tube is the outlet so it's near the bottom of the res thus minimizing air going through the system.
That's good to know about heatercores. Those BIX's are pretty darn expensive. I'd never heard of heatercores until about a week ago so I haven't done a whole lot of researching on those.
Thx for the help

Last edited by SnowRider; 04-29-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Unread 04-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #6
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

I was able to borrow a digicam so I can post some pictures here of my setup at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidepanel.jpg (34.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg casesideday.jpg (34.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sidepaneldark.jpg (25.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (42.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (25.8 KB, 40 views)
Unread 04-29-2004, 02:31 AM   #7
OneMadPoptart
Cooling Neophyte

I would stay away from the polarflo blocks in general in terms of overall quality and cooling performance. Check out the Whitewater from Dtek (www.dtekcustoms.com) or the RBX from Dangerden (www.dangerden.com). Both easilly out perform the polarflo and are of top quality. If you are still interested in chipset cooling, Dangerden just came out with a nice Maze inspired chipset block that would work very well for you. Check it out. I don't have any experience with the polarflo GPU block or mounting on an AIW, so I can't help you much there...

Dtek and Dangerden also sell versions of nice heatercores in the JR-120 from Dtek and the single and dual 120mm heatercores from dangerden. Any one of these heatercores would be a great fit for that pump and the whitewater or RBX block. Where were you planning on putting the radiator in that case? It looks as if things are going to get mighty cramped in there...

As for the Zerex, yes the super coolant is the most used, but it does have the nasty habit of turning your water a nice shade of purple, even for a capful in a gallon of distilled water. If you plan on using that visible dye, then the supercoolant isnt for you. I don't know how well the super protector is, but I have rarely seen it used so maybe its not the best. Water wetter is a very popular product that accomplishes the same thing as the zerex, plus it works well with dyes because it adds much less tint to your water. Keep in mind that you only need a couple of ounces of additive per GALLON of water, so mix carefully and dont go dumping a bunch of whatever you decide to use in your loop.

Other than that good luck and happy cooling!

-OMP
OneMadPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #8
siavash_s_s
Cooling Savant

man.. u goto do it the quazimodo way, make it *all*
to add on that i think i spent well over $550 aus on materials etc... and it still isnt built...
on 2nd thought just buy what everyone else here says
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #9
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

snowrider,

I just ordered two of the evercool aluminum fans you speak of... I'll let you know how quiet they really are... specs on those fans are pretty good... ~80CFM and only 31db or less.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #10
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Don't worry about NB cooling, as it offers nothing in either stability or overclock. .
really. try removing the heatsink thats on it and tell us its fine. you will get higher FSBs and can make it more stable, which is a concern in a WC system because you lose the air being blown from the heatsink thatd circulate some air around the NB.
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #11
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Default Innovatek fittings

The Innovatek gear is threaded for 1/4 BSPT (same diameter and thread pitch as 1/4 NPT but is not tapered.
You can (sort-a) use 1/4 NPT fittings but you won't get really good sealing - and you are more likely to crack whichever item (male or female) is more fragile (for me, it's always the item that's more expensive that breaks).
Eldon James makes 1/4 BSPT to 1/2" tubing barb nylon fittings.
You can get 'em through McMaster.
Bob
PS: If you get one of the Innovatek reservoirs, please measure the inside diameter of the tubes leading upwards and let us know. I've seen pictures of the shorter Innovatek reservoir and the passageways inside the block (where the fittings attach) appeared to be more like 1/2" diameter.
Oh - and you do realize you don't need a reservoir at all, right?
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMadPoptart
I would stay away from the polarflo blocks in general in terms of overall quality and cooling performance. Check out the Whitewater from Dtek (www.dtekcustoms.com) or the RBX from Dangerden (www.dangerden.com). Both easilly out perform the polarflo and are of top quality. If you are still interested in chipset cooling, Dangerden just came out with a nice Maze inspired chipset block that would work very well for you. Check it out. I don't have any experience with the polarflo GPU block or mounting on an AIW, so I can't help you much there...

Dtek and Dangerden also sell versions of nice heatercores in the JR-120 from Dtek and the single and dual 120mm heatercores from dangerden. Any one of these heatercores would be a great fit for that pump and the whitewater or RBX block. Where were you planning on putting the radiator in that case? It looks as if things are going to get mighty cramped in there...
Ok, I'll definitely check out those blocks. I've heard alot of good stuff about the whitewater block.
I'll check the spec's of Dtek's rad's and I'm pretty sure that DD is just a retailer of Hardware Labs' Radiators. Maybe I'm wrong :shrug:. And I plan on putting the rad in the top inside my case. I'd have to move the disc drives down all the way and possibly lose the dvd-rom. I'll try and make a diagram at some point.
Thx for the help!
Unread 04-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
.......Eldon James makes 1/4 BSPT to 1/2" tubing barb nylon fittings.
You can get 'em through McMaster.
Bob
PS: If you get one of the Innovatek reservoirs, please measure the inside diameter of the tubes leading upwards and let us know. I've seen pictures of the shorter Innovatek reservoir and the passageways inside the block (where the fittings attach) appeared to be more like 1/2" diameter.
Oh - and you do realize you don't need a reservoir at all, right?
Do you have a link for those fittings?
If I do get the res I'll definitely do that and post it here.

MMZ_TimeLord I'd appreciate that. 31db might still be to loud for my preferences but we'll see. Let me know what you think.

Thx guys.
Unread 04-29-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
OneMadPoptart
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider
I'm pretty sure that DD is just a retailer of Hardware Labs' Radiators. Maybe I'm wrong :shrug:. And I plan on putting the rad in the top inside my case. I'd have to move the disc drives down all the way and possibly lose the dvd-rom. I'll try and make a diagram at some point.
Thx for the help!
Dangerden sells three types of radiators, including the black ice, themochill (uber expensive) and their own 1/2'' heatercores. http://www.dangerden.com/mall/radiators.asp

For the heatercores, they sell nice single and dual 120mm cores for a decent price. You can probably fit that dual heatercore on the top of your case, but you might also need more space than one drive if you dont put the fans outside the case. Just some things to think about.

Good luck!

-OMP
OneMadPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Those fittings - here's the catalog page at mcmaster You want part 53415K212 - and you have to specify in the "comments" when you order that you want BSPT. There doesn't seem to be a 1/4BSPT to 5/8 or 9/16 barb, but the 1/2 should be fine with your 1/2ID tubing - just might need a cable tie or something to secure the tubing.

If you're considering a larger than 120mm, there's a guy over on the PC Perspective Liquid Cooling forum who,s been selling heatercore/shroud/fan combos that he builds. Comments from buyers have all been favorable. He goes by the handle WA2.
Then there are the "chevette core" sized heater cores (fins are ~6"x6" - top and bottom tanks add about an inch. There's a pre-made shroud especially for these cores made by CoolingWorks that make mounting a heater core really easy.
Guess that's it. I've never used PolarFLO, so I can't comment there (the pictures on their site sure are pretty, though...)
Bob
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #16
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Taking the cooler off is worrying more about it than just leaving it there... If you can't understand the graphs, let me simplify it: The PolarFLO is a bd performer.
Unread 04-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #17
rogerdugans
Cooling Neophyte

Well, having seen this topic elsewhere , I still find myself having to post again here....

I am not really on top of the newer stuff as far as blocks are concerned so I took a look at the graphs and reviews by Joe C. @ Overclockers.com to refresh my memory.
Polarflo review as opposed to the first link which goes to the overall comparisons but not a specific review.

By that I would have to say that the Polarflo looks pretty decent.
I do NOT have any personal experience with it, but I have found Joe's reviews to be on the money for every single piece of hardware he has reviewed that I DO have.

Last edited by rogerdugans; 04-30-2004 at 05:14 AM.
rogerdugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #18
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdugans
Well, having seen this topic elsewhere , I still find myself having to post again here....
Hehe.... Hey roger. Nice to see you here as well
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #19
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

Snow just a word of caution, you can read all sorts of BS about watercooling products. Procooling (and its helpful posters) have been by far the most accurate and helpful to me personally. Trust what you hear here rather than whats said on another site.
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #20
rogerdugans
Cooling Neophyte

I'm everywhere.

But I can make myself invisible.
rogerdugans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:52 PM   #21
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
Snow just a word of caution, you can read all sorts of BS about watercooling products. Procooling (and its helpful posters) have been by far the most accurate and helpful to me personally. Trust what you hear here rather than whats said on another site.
What if I don't trust you?? Hahaha, Just kidding man I'll try to do my best to weed out the junk. Thanks for the warning.
Unread 04-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #22
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

What I mean is, sometimes people here do give wrong answers, but there are enough people here who are knowledgeable that they wont let it slip. The way people jump on others here for mistakes can seem a little harsh at times, but its for the best. Makes me think twice before replying to anything, I dont want to get roasted by flaming posts for saying something wrong.
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2004, 01:55 AM   #23
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
snowrider,

I just ordered two of the evercool aluminum fans you speak of... I'll let you know how quiet they really are... specs on those fans are pretty good... ~80CFM and only 31db or less.
I run the evercool fans...
have 2x120mm on my BIX rev2 and 4x80mm on my bixmicro2 al in a push/pull setup

I think they are still loud but i think it is mostly the air going through teh heater core.. not shure...
It is more quite compared to any of the other fans I have played with...

I like them enough that I ordered 4 more 120mm fans for my server.
want to water cool it.
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #24
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Yep, most sites are bullshit. Even overclockers.com has some inaccurate articles.
Quote:
By that I would have to say that the Polarflo looks pretty decent.
I do NOT have any personal experience with it, but I have found Joe's reviews to be on the money for every single piece of hardware he has reviewed that I DO have.
I'm a tad confused. You're saying that JoeC is accurate, but you're implying that the PolarFLO is good? It has a thermal resistance of 0.17C/W (versus 0.13C/W [lower is better]) and it doesn't exactly have the lowest of pressure drops, and it costs more than most blocks...
Unread 04-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #25
polarflo
Cooling Neophyte

Default Want to try?

Quote:
Yep, most sites are bullshit. Even overclockers.com has some inaccurate articles. I'm a tad confused. You're saying that JoeC is accurate, but you're implying that the PolarFLO is good? It has a thermal resistance of 0.17C/W (versus 0.13C/W [lower is better]) and it doesn't exactly have the lowest of pressure drops, and it costs more than most blocks...

Angry... I'll make you a deal... You buy a PolarFLO SF from our site and test it on your system. If you do not get lower temps at idle, load and overclock, i will refund all your money... including shipping. I do not want to come off the wrong way, but you may want to gather your own quantifiable data. I respect your opinion, but here is an opportunity to change your opinion into fact. Let me know.

Best Regards,

Steve
polarflo is offline   Reply With Quote