Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-27-2004, 04:26 AM   #26
Les
Cooling Savant

Poiseuille's Law ?
Your assuming laminar flow?
Strange.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 05:25 AM   #27
Polski Radon
Cooling Neophyte

This has given me a great idea..

I'll be starting WC when I have enough money in a few weeks, so I was thinking of converting my (air) MC 462 to watercool just like this one does.

I'll see what happens.
Polski Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #28
pippin88
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polski Radon
This has given me a great idea..

I'll be starting WC when I have enough money in a few weeks, so I was thinking of converting my (air) MC 462 to watercool just like this one does.

I'll see what happens.
Erm, if memory serves, the pins on Swifty heatsinks are Aluminium right? Physical contact between dissimilar metals in water is a big no no.

Also, gone_fishin, long time no see.
pippin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #29
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Lets talk DIY - Presumably, an individual with a small drill bit (3/32"? 1/16"?) some patience, and a drill press could create a reasonable imitation of this sort of pin density and size using the #rotor method, then fabricate the halfmoon and slap a top on. I realize the pins would be diamond-shaped rather than round, but I still think we'd be looking at a new non-CNC DIY performance king. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Added concept drawing
Attached Images
File Type: gif mcw6kclone.gif (15.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by BalefireX; 05-27-2004 at 07:33 AM.
BalefireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #30
Polski Radon
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, didn't know about that.

What if I used the Fluid XP+ that's reviewed at Overclockers.com? Linky

Addicted to folding club member #4

Visit Gdansk!

Dulce et Decorum est pro Patria Mori
Polski Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:21 AM   #31
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote Polski Radon
"What if I used the Fluid XP+ that's reviewed at Overclockers.com?" end quote

Buy a real waterblock with the money instead of throwing it away on golden water (or is that golden showers?).
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:19 AM   #32
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishin

Buy a real waterblock with the money instead of throwing it away on golden water (or is that golden showers?).
My thoughts exactly. The base of the MCX is way too thick anyway.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #33
kronchev
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalefireX
Lets talk DIY - Presumably, an individual with a small drill bit (3/32"? 1/16"?) some patience, and a drill press could create a reasonable imitation of this sort of pin density and size using the #rotor method, then fabricate the halfmoon and slap a top on. I realize the pins would be diamond-shaped rather than round, but I still think we'd be looking at a new non-CNC DIY performance king. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Added concept drawing
that design is poor because there is too many places for the water to go where its not cooling...it should have a clearcut path where it enters, cools, and leaves. it shouldnt hang around at all.
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #34
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

not upset, a reviewer can do as they wish (cut your hand, eh ?)
not interested in adding fuel to the fire, but Jabo is closest - but incomplete
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 10:42 AM   #35
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I think I'd just buy a MCW6000-A rather than drilling all those tiny holes...

Almost all heatsink bases will be too thick for optimal performance.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #36
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronchev
that design is poor because there is too many places for the water to go where its not cooling...it should have a clearcut path where it enters, cools, and leaves. it shouldnt hang around at all.
Erm - that design is quite blatently stolen from the MCW-6000 (if you look at the original picture, its the same approximate pin number and density with the same inlet placement, same outlet, and same half moon deflector... Since pH's review places the MCW6000 up there in Cascade territory, I wouldn't call it a poor design by any stretch of the word.

EDIT: Re pH's comment
I agree - thats 361 holes (19x19) with a very small drill bit - not a quick task. Then add in the dremeling - seriously fiddly work to make sure you leave that halfmoon unbroken. However, if someone has more time than money, or simply would rather make the block themself, its not a bad idea. I'll most likely be getting MCW6002s for my Opteron system, but I'd still be interested to see the performance of a DIY MCW6kClone.
Unread 05-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #37
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Well they took it to the gates in performance, now if they could just do a little bit about style. If I get it I think I am going to have to cut a custom retention piece to give it a nice looks because right now that just says "Sweater Vest"
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #38
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I suppose one could chrome or nickel plate the wb top (you can do this w/o dipping the bp right?) or powder coat it.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #39
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

we have some colors 'in the mill', no timing (weeks away)

do not powder coat the wb, temps too high
Unread 05-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #40
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
D00de! that's the whole point of this design, coolant DOES NOT 'hang around' , it 'hangs around' more in Cathar's blocks than in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
not upset, a reviewer can do as they wish (cut your hand, eh ?)
not interested in adding fuel to the fire, but Jabo is closest - but incomplete
I did not want to elaborate here too much. All is needed here is a simple visualisation (ran in your mind's eye) of movements of 6 coolant particles placed eqaully around inlets perimeter (pretend there are only 6 of them in total and analyze interactions with block's walls&pins taking into consideration velocity, inertia and pressure gradients - hint=velocity is highest along the straight line connecting edges of crescent and inlet tube=end of hint).

Les-> why do you assume that calling Poiseuille's Law equals thinking laminar flow? Re number increases with coolants velocity, right? Pins/crescent by producing an obstacle create localized regions of high velocity (think about high rise buildings and windy day) increasing Re number and thinning down boundary layer.
Geometry of Swiffy's block enhances 'verge velocity' of coolant.
Please, do not make me to go into more detail, I'd bore myself to death doing so

Flow control=equalization of coolants velocity=>more coolants particles participate in thermal exchange = much better efficiency and performance allowing this block to come close to jet type designs.

Teaser-> what about a design having impingement velocity flow at every point of water-copper contact over the whole footprint of a block's base? Wouldn't that be just fantastic?
Impingement designs base on velocity since it was devised to achieve max cooling density per mm^2. Now, without using nuclear reactor size coolant pumps how would you do it in PC water block design using DIY methods (dead cheap solution in watts/£ ratio)?

P.S. That's why I asked you BillA about your R&D, costs and why such design and not 'something new'
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:42 PM   #41
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

business (commerce) is about cost effectiveness,
too close to the bone for luxuries here
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #42
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabo
Les-> why do you assume that calling Poiseuille's Law equals thinking laminar flow?
Poiseuille's Law only applies to laminar flow - see for example the link I gave.
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #43
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Poiseuille's Law only applies to laminar flow - see for example the link I gave.
Yes, but to get any idea of how the whole thing works that's the best equations I know for allowing to understand basic relationships.
We all know that turbulent flow in heat ecxchangers is what we are after.
I never attempted to give Poiseuille's Law as an universal fluid flaw description tool. It is useful with arriving at turbulent flow. After critical Re value is reached we are in deep $hit as far as mathematical description of such flow conditions is concerned.
There are two ways of approaching this (well three if you account for expriments). One is probabilistic apporach where you use massive number crunchin power to predict where groups of/single particles are at the moment, their velocity vector and calue.
The second one is simply calculating movements of each and every particle of coolant - number crunching power neded is mind gobbling here but calcs are extremely simple. I just wonder if it would be possible to limit number of calcs by entertaining nono-scale model where number of molecules is extremely limited
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #44
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
The little divider caught me off gaurd though. Makes me wonder why the Aqua Gold block has this divider milled in when all they need to do is bend a thin peice of metal and set it in the pins.

Good stuff pH.
The original plan did call for a thin piece of bent metal to control the flow for the Aqua Gold. We went ahead with milling the top because we had to mill the top anyway and leaving the wall on top at that point was no big deal. There was also some concern by some members at aquajoe that a thin piece a metal would resonate and cause problem.
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:43 PM   #45
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac
The original plan did call for a thin piece of bent metal to control the flow for the Aqua Gold. We went ahead with milling the top because we had to mill the top anyway and leaving the wall on top at that point was no big deal. There was also some concern by some members at aquajoe that a thin piece a metal would resonate and cause problem.
No you wouldn't have had to mill the top, and in fact you would have had a considerable LESS amount of milling if you used the bent metal because you wouldn't have had to mill the area around the pins to fit the milled top around them. Could have shaved some $$$'s off your overhead. You knew that though.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #46
Gigitt
Cooling Neophyte

It looks very dirty in there from the the brazing... and this has not affected the performance!

I thought the scaling would hinder the cooling properties of copper.
Gigitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:00 AM   #47
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Now I really want to see how a Cascade performs in reverse. A slight suspicion has been growing for a while and the performance of MCW6000-A makes me wonder.
The question being is the key true impingement or purely turbulence.

(not suggesting it should be the same backwards as forwards, merely considering the mechanism)
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #48
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoherent
Now I really want to see how a Cascade performs in reverse. A slight suspicion has been growing for a while and the performance of MCW6000-A makes me wonder.
The question being is the key true impingement or purely turbulence.

(not suggesting it should be the same backwards as forwards, merely considering the mechanism)
In reverse? Meaning a group of jets targetted down in between pins? Something like the NeXXoS does? Works pretty well actually going by the NeXXoS's performance. The NeXXoS is tuned for low flows and is overly restrictive, stopping the jet impingement activity from properly developing. Would need to open it up a little bit to get it to fly better.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #49
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
In reverse? Meaning a group of jets targetted down in between pins? Something like the NeXXoS does? Works pretty well actually going by the NeXXoS's performance. The NeXXoS is tuned for low flows and is overly restrictive, stopping the jet impingement activity from properly developing. Would need to open it up a little bit to get it to fly better.
I was thinking simply pushing the water backwards through the block, inlet becomes outlet and vice versa. Thing is, it seems to me that the cascade has one of the highest surface areas for a given die coverage, and it's inherently turbulent. Of course it would be sub-optimal (jet height particularly, no forced flow into the cup rims etc) but by removing the jet impingement part of the equation it would be possible to quantify the "jet impingement" effect. It's been debated before but the question remains about whether it is true "jet impingement" I was convinced for a while, because of cascades performance delta but this new block can not be impinging in the strictly correct sense so it makes me wonder.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:39 AM   #50
Cathar
Thermophile

Thanks for the clarification. Cascade is more restrictive in reverse though, but it could be done. I'm busy testing now so I'll throw the SS on in reverse and let you know how it goes.

The Cascade kinda muddles between "true impingement" and turbulent flow hitting structures. A "true impingement" is something that is much more widely spaced out, which I have built and played with, but the effect of the cooling is somewhat uneven, and while offering overall temperatures about the same as a White Water, it doesn't allow for as stable CPU overclocks. To "smooth out" the heat-flux requires adding more bp material, but that then costs with increased temperatures and lowers the benefits seen when boosting the pumping pressure. I have often described the Cascade as more of a turbulent mashing of water in each cup, even though I refer to it as a real impingement block, it strictly isn't - however it is more of one than most anything else on the market. The MCW462-U is perhaps the only block out there that could be classified as "true impingement".

So yeah, you're right, a turbulence mashing is perhaps a better description and can be achieved in many ways, be it a mash in a cup, or a mash around some pins, or a mash following some (optionally bumpy) fins.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote