Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 07-27-2003, 03:42 AM   #51
ciscokid454
Cooling Savant

I actually did the atkins thing a couple times, off and on for a few months. The first time..i'm not sure what I did..or didn't do..but in one full month I lost 18 pounds...I wasn't truly impressed with it..but I did feel alot better..
I skipped a month..but didn't really eat badly..I never eats sweets or salads or anything like that..but I have a horrible thing with soda's..Mt. Dew mostly...
and went back to drinkly those..not as much as before..but it added a couple pounds back on..
The following month I started again..and I swear I ate the same, worked out the same..everything was the same..but I lost 40 pounds in only 3 weeks..The last week..I hit a platou (spelling?)
and didn't gain or lose anything..
So I gave up..I probably should have finished the full week out..but I figured I had eating/drank something I shouldn't have and that I would have to start over again.
I skipped 3 weeks. Started over once again, and only lost 20 pounds...
Go figure..
It does work..you just have to be careful once your off it to not go back to things you did in excess before..
alcohol/sweets/soda's..
start slowly back into a normal habit again..but keep it all in moderation...I ended up losing 70 pounds in 6 months...
I felt incredible..
I kept it off for about a year, then lost my job..and stopped keeping myself up..
Now I've gotta do start over again..
Unread 07-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #52
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I'm at -17.3 lbs from start. Everything is going good.

The trick with atkins is that every time you do it is less effective by and large. Those that go on and off constantly will find that their body adapts and isn't as willing or able to go into effortless ketosis and will try to remain in a glucose metabolism and WILL cannibalize muscle for quite a while before switching to ketosis. Doing an on-off atkins plan is dangerous.

If you want good results you need to stick with it and realize that there are things that will substitute for your cravings. Yesterday I had homemade garlic bread sticks (2 carbs each), fresh cream soda (real cream and all, <1 carb), chocolate (0 carb) and other assorted goodies including a couple of beers (2.6g per). You just have to find an acceptable substitute and go in knowing that you can never go back. I've almost lost 1/3 of the weight I'm aiming to lose in just two weeks ... as I get closer to the goal I can add more carbs, though right now I'm at less than 10g per day most of the time and I'm perfectly happy with it ... and most of those are from eggs and sausage (finding good fire sausage is the best thing that ever happened to me ... mmm ... ).

It isn't for everyone because it demands a lot of willpower at first, though I can't imagine that someone that has experienced how good you can feel on this after as long as you were on it would ever go back. That must be one nasty dew addiction ....
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 11:09 AM   #53
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

This is for Tuff, who doesn't understand nutrition despite his claims:

The body will not store fat unless there is fat to store. Fat is most commonly gained by excess glucose being snagged by insulin and stored away as fat. If you don't have excess glucose levels, your insulin levels won't spike and you will not be storing fat away (my blood glucose levels are almost perfectly steady between 70-75 at all times now, IIRC from the test). If your body has grown accustomed to burning fat as its main power source, then it will first digest the fat that you eat preventing it from being stored, and then will burn the fat on your body for the energy balance needed.

The only way that you'll gain fat on this diet is if you were to eat over 3-4000 calories of FAT per day. That is like eating multiple tubs of butter. How likely do you think that is?

There is a reason that as you progress and lose fat that you are supposed to add more carbs and such to your diet ... this allows your body to remain in ketosis, but allows your body to find an equilibrium where you aren't losing any more body fat (which gets dangerous after a point) but you aren't gaining it either. The carbs are what create the fat ... not the fat itself.

I, for one, have been finding it difficult to eat more than around 1200-1300 calories per day, because meats and such fill you up so much quicker than the empty calories from carbohydrates that everyone else takes in (the average american eats 800 calories of sugar per day!). I don't think I'm ever going to go hungry ... but I don't think I'll ever have weight problems again ... and I definitely don't have to ever worry about diabetes!

As far as muscle loss, which you are wildly off about, there is an article in one of your muscle mags (the names all sound the same to me) about how they now RECOMMEND this diet because it is the only one in which you don't lose muscle mass, where the low cal/low fat diets usually result in 50% fat/50% muscle loss. They also recommend it for extra endurance in the gym ... go figure.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 07-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #54
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Very cool!!! good luck!
Unread 07-28-2003, 01:10 PM   #55
Switch
Cooling Neophyte

Best of fortune to you Airspirit. I was always the fat kid when I was younger and at about age 14 I went on my own version of the Atkins diet. I started at 240lbs and went from there to 180lbs in one summer. My weight's been a stable 160lbs since then, a good four years later. At one point I was losing over 6lbs a day. I did find that after a while, it would take longer for the weight to come off and for me that was the hardest time to stick with it.

And for the guy about the student budget. Being a student myself , I have a full 20ounce cola for breakfast and eat one meal a day with a few days of the week where I skip the one meal. lol that'll keep you fit.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 01:25 PM   #56
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ah yes, there's nothing like a solid 20 oz of battery acid to start the morning!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 03:49 PM   #57
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Um, dude ... that sounds more like starvation to me. I couldn't deal with starving myself ....
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #58
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

>Ah yes, there's nothing like a solid 20 oz of battery acid to start
>the morning!

grog!
Unread 08-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #59
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Update?

I'm curious cause I'm trying it too!
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #60
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I've used it 4 or 5 times since the early '70s
works well
muscle loss only seen when flipping in and out of it over a protracted period
- if you start, stick it out until you achieve your goal
I start at 205 and stop at 175, presently down 13
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2003, 03:32 AM   #61
winewood
Cooling Savant

I started it.. then ditched it after some reading.

I started on a whim thinking if everyone else was doing it...
However there are some things the bug me. True you can loose weight on this. However the fact is that it comes right back (very quickly) if you get off the diet.
It seems that it is good for a quick fix. However, knowing that watching your intake of fats and sugars along with moderate excercise will win in the long run with less health "questions" as from major nutritionists, I personally err on the side of caution.

I think some explinations from these to links helped me...
http://www.thedietchannel.com/atkins.htm
http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/physician.html

If you can do it, try weight watchers or some slower long term solutions. These ALL involve restricting your intake in one form or the other, however it seems to me that the fallout when you stray from the plan is less dramatic with some other diet models. This is all my opinion from what I have read, I have attempted both, and since both involve restriction, I chose the one that seemed to have the better longer term health implications.
Unread 08-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #62
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

There is a problem with listening to nutritionists (sounds funny, doesn't it?): 1) this goes against everything they were ever taught, 2) they look at this as a short-term diet rather than a long-term way of eating, and 3) most of them have a stake in discounting this (since they have advocated other dietary methods for years, and in many cases could be open to liability). Most of the things listed on that site are completely unapplicable to the vast majority of people that stick with it long-term.

The biggest misunderstanding is in blood-lipids and cholesterol. People think that eating fatty foods will increase them, and that's true ... if you're eating a large carbohydrate load as well. If you're not, then your body will be able to take care of these better than it could if you were "eating healthy" by the nutritionist's standards. I was actually pointed to this diet because of my horrible numbers ... and it takes a few months before you start seeing significant drops.

As far as this being a "dramatic" diet form, I would have to strongly disagree. For most of human history (and even now in many areas) this is the typical diet. Greece is a prime example, being steeped in whole grains and fatty foods, though they have some of the lowest risk rates of disease of most areas worldwide. France was the same way, until they were McDonaldized. Before believing what the "experts" tell you, actually look for research. Many of the things that are asserted on those links are directly refuted by scientific studies (which IMHO are more reliable than the "expert" conventional wisdom you're linking to). You can find tons of links to these studies at the atkins web site (and yes, they are all independent studies that were NOT funded by atkins ... they were linked to make a point).

Naturally, though, if you go on this as a short term diet plan then you will fail and gain your weight back. I don't plan on going back, so I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, I feel better now than I have in a very long time.

Oh, and I'm at -23 lbs after 3.5 weeks. So much for the -20 lbs in six months as reported by one of those links. I've lost about 2-3 inches off of my waist, my replacement wedding ring (my old one wouldn't fit anymore) is too loose to really wear safely, and my extra chin is almost gone. I'm still on track to hit my goal by mid-October. I figure I'm at the end of my pound-a-day loss area and I should settle down to about .2-.5 lb/day shortly.
Unread 08-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #63
winewood
Cooling Savant

I agree w/ your aguements airspirit. The only real reason this may not be for me.. I know I won't stick to it long term. Thats really the key here. I can't imagine a world without fries and icecream. Id rather starve 2/3rds of the day and have a homecooked meal with my family. Or the occasional kill you dead Maccaroni Grill Chicken Scalopini with Bread loaves!

"know thyself" LOL

Congrats on the weight loss. Imagine how much more healthy your system is without that weight!
Unread 08-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #64
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Err, I just had a double bacon cheeseburger w/ montreal steak seasoning (minus the bun), pint of guinness, and a chocolate and nut covered ice cream bar for dinner ... I don't know what you mean when you say you'd be missing out.

The funny thing is that everything above is on plan. You just have to shop smarter. The above meal came out to around 13 carbs. For the day I'm at around 18 ... when I can have up to 30 at this point. I don't really count them, though ... I just make sure everything in my kitchen supports my way of eating.

Typically, I have two slices of bacon, three scrambled eggs, and 2-3 sausage links for breakfast, two hard boiled eggs and an ounce of cheese for lunch (easy to pack, hehe), and a large meat portion with assorted stuff for dinner. Sometimes I add in low carb bread, low carb wraps, or veggies to spice things up. Really, there are things you can have that are good ... I'm hitting the local chinese place for some hunan beef in a few weeks ....
Unread 08-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #65
msv
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
Any diet that doesn't allow for a cold beer or three after work is not acceptable to me.
Very good advice.
The energy needed to warm three bottles of beer from fridge temp to body temp has to be drained from somewhere.
As a warmblooded spieces human spends a lot of energy on metabolism, so freezing is a marvelous way to lose weight (a bad cold will do wonder to dump Your apetite).
The Beer-and-IceCream-diet is based on the fact that it takes a lot of energy to warm cold food to body temp. Besides from not working it´s a very interesting diet.
Peeling shrimps takes more energy than the shrimp contains, same goes for most mushrooms.
Otherwise: Excercise more, worry less. Big is beautyful!!
regards
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 12:28 PM   #66
ChrioN
Cooling Savant

Damn I envy "overweighted" peoples...I got this desease that makes me loose weight...so I must eat as a *¤#%!
Had a thing installed on my stomach which allowed me to pump me up with nastysmelling foodthing, it was a liquid of some sort...Had a pump right next to my bed for about 4 years, so I could plug my self in when I was asleep...nasty stuffs...But for about 2 weeks ago, I unplugged myself!

nevermind...but you should feel a little (little) bit of luck.
ChrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #67
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrioN
Damn I envy "overweighted" peoples...I got this desease that makes me loose weight...so I must eat as a *¤#%!

I used to have a similar problem... turning 30 solved it but good!

Bob
(weighs 2 metric tons! )
Unread 08-08-2003, 06:47 PM   #68
siavash_s_s
Cooling Savant

yarr your crazy... atkins diet seems plain unnaturall. (sorry if this was posted but i aint about to look through all this to find) use your brain, humans are omnivores, we eat everything. atkins diet is just beef meat egg thats it and vitamins. what you need is lot more exercise, alot less food in general (about 1200 - 1500 calories a day) and to not eat anything that is pre digested ie processed. this said 1200 calories sounds like your getting starved, but ive seen the product, its all benefits.
the best exercise thing i have seen is a book by some guy called "body for life"
u dont need to listen to his crapping on, just read the exercise bit and ull see how little we really do. i have tried his method and it takes the SH!T out of you but its so good at burning up excess fat....
also u might try sleeping in a freezer - the extra fat will be burned to keep u warm
Unread 08-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #69
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

siavash_s_s

and the s_s stands for super_simple ?
or super_stupid ?

if you don't have the energy to read the thread,
do us ALL a favor - don't post your inane drivel
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2003, 08:18 PM   #70
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

Quote:
High metabolism means that you can metabolize food quickly and efficiently and in essence Burn it off.
I'm gonna have to disagree on your wording here.... having a high metabolism is in fact in efficient. As your body is wasting energy. If you were in a developing country or in the stone ages (or any place where there is a scare amount of food) you would want to efficiently metabolize your food intake (using only a part of your food for daily functions and the rest for fat build up)

But of course.... efficient is a somewhat subjective word.. because in developed countries we all want to be thin so we want to use most of our intake for daily function).
Unread 08-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #71
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Bill, he not only didn't read the whole thread, but if he would have read my last two posts he would realize that his whole post was crap. Some people amaze me, but I guess no forum is without a few random trolls, eh?
Unread 08-09-2003, 07:40 PM   #72
boomer235
Cooling Neophyte

siavash_s_s Yar need to eat some food to feed yar brain an maybe some carrots to feed yar eyes soz yaz can read some and get some learnin in yar brain. /endflame

Airspirit I picked up on this thread right after it started and I had been meaning to lose some pounds myself (about 25lbs over where Id like to be)
So I reduced the carbs.. not as dramatically as yourself but significantly, lots of salads with chicken no sodas, no candy etc..
I also reduced my overall intake of calories and have dropped 12 lbs in the past 4 weeks.
Halfway there

I have several friends that have been on reduced Carbs(Atkins/zone) for years now and they are healthier than ever. It seems that once you get used to it you really just enjoy the new way of eating.

Good luck, and thanks for the extra bit of inspiration.
boomer235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 02:59 AM   #73
siavash_s_s
Cooling Savant

allow me to rephrase:: eat less, eat blanced and eat less processed stuff.
if im wrong point it out and laugh (then tell me why and give me a link or sumthing)
Unread 08-11-2003, 10:21 AM   #74
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

This is why you're wrong. Your body needs protien to keep maintained. Your body needs power to keep moving. It can get power in one of two ways: it can eat sugar or it can eat fat.

If you eat limited calories and have, lets say, a 60%c/30%p/10%f diet, your body won't be receiving enough sugar to function during the day. The reason is that after a meal, whatever glucose is not immediately used will be coverted via an insulin rush into fat. When your body suddenly has no glucose to burn, it begins glucogenesis by burning protien. Unfortunately, it is easier to cannibalize your muscles than to convert the free-floating protiens in your body ... which may or may not be used repair the immediate damage that your body is causing. In the end you STILL gain fat and you will find it difficult to gain muscle mass. Your metabolism may slow down due to the lack of primary energy supplies (glucose).

Okay, lets take that one step farther: we REALLY want to do the low calorie thing. Now our body goes into ketosis, so we're burning fat: good deal. Unfortunately, since we're still eating more carbohydrates than we can burn at that time, it all STILL immediately gets stored as fat. If there is a big enough swing, your body will convert back into glucogenisis for a while, but will now break down even MORE protiens from your body. In the end, half the time you're burning fat, and the other half the time you're burning muscle mass and GAINING fat. Now you're really screwed. Your metabolism will drastically slow down due to a lack of your primary energy supply (glucose), making it harder to lose weight and leaving you constantly exhausted.

On the other hand, if you eat 5%c/40%p/50%f your blood sugar will stabilize. No insulin spikes mean that your body won't burn off excess protien or your pittance of carbs via insulin (no fat growth) while constantly burning either your stored or dietary fat for energy. Your muscles don't get broken down, and you do nothing but lose weight. As long as there is still SOME small amount of carb intake your metabolism doesn't slow down because your body's primary energy source is never depleted (ketone bodies).

That is the truth of weight loss and why NO low fat/low calorie diet can EVER work right without extreme effort and/or starvation and why you will ALWAYS gain the weight back: as soon as you start eating more calories again you will instantly gain that weight back because your body is in starvation mode and feels in NEEDS to pack on fat just in case.

Does that make sense to you?
Unread 08-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #75
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I'm now at -31 lbs. I'm turning skinny. It's a good thing I held on to all my skinny clothes or I would be screwed right now.

I also discovered the joys of ice cream makers. I am making some wicked sugar free alcoholic ice cream ....