Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 1100 with no disk found

I am playing with a snap 1100. 250MB. It's not working, might have been erased for security purposes.

I reset it and assigned it an IP address and other settings.
I can access the web interface, I configured networking and I can access the web based UI. No problems at all.

Model Software Hardware Server # BIOS
1000 series 4.0.860 (US) 2.0.2 20XXXX 4.0.855

However, everything on the disk utilities page says
This page is not available because no disks were found.

Disk Status as of 6/13/2008 6:06:50 PM.
No disks found.

I took the drive out, a 250mb Maxtor and put it in an XP system, the bios reports the drive and the correct size, and logical disk manager does as well but unpartitioned. So that all seems to be working. I didn't muck with it. Just looked.

I put it back in the snapserver, and it cannot detect the disk is there. It is jumpered for master. Is that correct?

I contacted adaptec, told them I needed to reimage an 1100 and they immediately sent me a file, snap_sys.sup, 30093KB.

It's seemingly the exact same file I found on the GUESS site in an archive named
SnapOS_4_0_860_upg.exe which has assist, some help docs and three .sup files. One, the largest, is probably that same file. So I got the same file on the FTP site and direct from adaptec.

I tried to install the file as an upgrade both with the assist which chuggs along for several minutes then fails, and with the OS Update file browser on the snap server web based UI at /config?Func=ServerMenu which immediately says
Request Entity Too Large

I read some stuff about a knoppix boot method, but I was hoping that would not be necessary since I have a UI both through the Assist and directly in the server setup pages.

I read where a 1000V1 automatically formats a new disk. But this one doesn't seem to be doing that either because it's not a 1000V1 or the disk is not in a condition that allows it to be formatted automatically.

>A. The 1000v1 has the OS stored in flash ram, just install the hd. It takes about >10 min before you can connect to the web interface. There are 2 different image >files used to recover from a failed drivein the 1x00's.

>B. The 1000s normally use a 1000 image file, but if you get a 1 x 2 LED blinking >pattern it requires the 2200.img file.

>C. The 1000v2 requires an image file to be copied to the new drive. (Normally the >2200 image file)

>D. The 1100 requires an image file to be copied to the new drive. (Normally the >2200 image file)

Is the file Adaptec sent me the needed 2200 image file, or do I need a different file, or do I need to image that drive in another way?

So, what am I doing wrong? Is this a drive problem or has the disk interface in the snapserver somehow failed?

Thanks!

Last edited by blue68f100; 06-14-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap 1100 with no disk found

Adaptec does not use the hackers image file method. The factory has special software to load from the sup file.

What are the LED's doing when it comes up? At times the snap will run diagonistic on the drive (drive led). If it's doing this you will need to wait it out. It could take hours depending on what's it doing.

Normally installing in any Windows machine damages the snap file system. The ONLY THING THAT CAN READ A SNAP IS ANOTHER SNAP or a RECOVEY Service. If you stopped at the bios, your safe other wise you lost what was on there.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

I don't care what was on there, like I said, It was likely erased for security purposes.

I didn't mount it on the windows system, just looked at it in the logical disk manager.

How can I reimage it?
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
Adaptec does not use the hackers image file method. The factory has special software to load from the sup file.
I wonder why adaptec sent me the sup file then?
Quote:
What are the LED's doing when it comes up? At times the snap will run diagonistic on the drive (drive led). If it's doing this you will need to wait it out. It could take hours depending on what's it doing.
Drive LED is off.
System LED is blinking.
Net LED is blinking, less.

The thing cannot find it's disk. That's the problem that needs to be fixed.
Is this the KNOPPIX boot fix I need? I can do that. Are there clear step by step directions?
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
bitor
Cooling Savant

Dave , am I reading his post wrong? It is inconsistent.

First, he says it is a 1100 unit, but his specs state it is a 1000 unit. Maybe it is a type o because of his bios is consistent with a 1100(4.0.855).
Secondly, how is he able to read the specs of the hard drive if he claims he needs an image for the hard drive? If your SnapOS is on the hard drive then you can read the specs , if it is not then you cannot read the specs.
If I were you I would try and pull the image off the hard drive, because if you can read the specs then you still have a some what of a SnapOS on the hard drive. You also might be able to reinstall the SnapOS with the file Adaptec sent you via Assist.

bitor
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
bitor
Cooling Savant

If it was erase for security that's fine. But how did you know what the specs were? Were you able to read the specs before the HD was erased? Or were you able to read the specs after the HD was erased?

bitor

Here is a link to Snap LED , etc stuff

http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php/Snap_Server
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor
Dave , am I reading his post wrong? It is inconsistent.

First, he says it is a 1100 unit, but his specs state it is a 1000 unit. Maybe it is a type o because of his bios is consistent with a 1100(4.0.855).
The front of the unit says 1100 as does the sticker on the bottom, which also says 250GB.

When I click the logo at the top of the web interface, the popup opens with specs and says

Quote:
Secondly, how is he able to read the specs of the hard drive if he claims he needs an image for the hard drive? If your SnapOS is on the hard drive then you can read the specs , if it is not then you cannot read the specs.
If I were you I would try and pull the image off the hard drive, because if you can read the specs then you still have a some what of a SnapOS on the hard drive. You also might be able to reinstall the SnapOS with the file Adaptec sent you via Assist.

bitor
Well, read the specs of the hard drive? No, but I can read them off the label of the hard drive. The snap unit cannot detect the drive at all. I never said I could read the specs of the drive in software. Where did you see that?

As to assist, I did use assist on it, told it to put the image I got from adaptec on it and it chugged for a few minutes before it failed. I only used the 30 MB image, there are two other images, a jvm image and a sync image. I tried those but no success reported by assist.

As I said I also used the web interface's file browser to try an upgrade. It gave the error message I cited. The web interface DOES work, and I was able to put an IP in and all with no problem. But there is no drive. Hardly useful.
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
bitor
Cooling Savant

When you use the Assist can you see your unit. Does Assist recognize the unit you have? If it does then you should be able to use the sup file provided this sup file is not the upgrade file. I believe you stated that Adaptec sent you a file. If that doesn't work, it looks like you need an image in order to get your unit up and running.
Yeah I forgot that the Snap1100 in the webGUI if you click on the logo it says Snap1000. When you say there is no hard drive do you mean that you have no hard drive installed? Or it doesn't see the hard drive?
In any even, it looks like you need an image by the problems you are having. Getting an image will be a problem. I don't know where you will be able to get one in order to get your unit working.

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo
The front of the unit says 1100 as does the sticker on the bottom, which also says 250GB.

When I click the logo at the top of the web interface, the popup opens with specs and says

Well, read the specs of the hard drive? No, but I can read them off the label of the hard drive. The snap unit cannot detect the drive at all. I never said I could read the specs of the drive in software. Where did you see that?

As to assist, I did use assist on it, told it to put the image I got from adaptec on it and it chugged for a few minutes before it failed. I only used the 30 MB image, there are two other images, a jvm image and a sync image. I tried those but no success reported by assist.

As I said I also used the web interface's file browser to try an upgrade. It gave the error message I cited. The web interface DOES work, and I was able to put an IP in and all with no problem. But there is no drive. Hardly useful.

Last edited by bitor; 06-13-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor
When you use the Assist can you see your unit. Does Assist recognize the unit you have? If it does then you should be able to use the sup file provided this sup file is not the upgrade file. I believe you stated that Adaptec sent you a file. If that doesn't work, it looks like you need an image in order to get your unit up and running.
Assist recognizes and attempts to put the image on the drive, then fails.

Quote:
Yeah I forgot that the Snap1100 in the webGUI if you click on the logo it says Snap1000. When you say there is no hard drive do you mean that you have no hard drive installed? Or it doesn't see the hard drive?
It doesn't see the hard drive.
One thing, the drive is jumpered master, I assume that is correct.
Quote:
In any even, it looks like you need an image by the problems you are having. Getting an image will be a problem. I don't know where you will be able to get one in order to get your unit working.
bitor
Well, there is lots of stuff on the .?? site. If I knew which I needed it would be helpful. I assume the image Adaptec sent me is the correct one, but the person I spoke to didn't ask my server number if that matters, though I did mention the model to her.

But the image doesn't work. Or the drive doesn't work. Or there is another failure.

One question: If I put the drive in a windows system and format and test the drive, can I then reimage it after that with the snap image? I could QC the drive that way. If the drive is broken I am essentially wasting my time with that drive.

Last edited by blue68f100; 06-14-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Unread 06-14-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
blue68f100
Thermophile

Try setting the drive to CS and see if that helps. The older units have problem sometimes with drive reconition. What brand drives, Maxtor have know to calls problems at times.

It sound like you have one the early 1100's. They are a very strange bread. Because it has flashram. If the drvie is clean with the OS in flashram, watch the led patterns as it comes up. It will give clues on on whats going on.

Unread 06-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
bitor
Cooling Savant

You need the image file from a hard drive(other then your own HD) that already has a good SnapOS on it. The files that Adaptec sent you is for installing on a preexisting SnapOS that is already functioning(working) on a Snap Server. The "image" is a copy that you would rip so to speak(see how to make an image from the forum) from a working drive that already has a good working SnapOS on it. Then you copy it to your hard drive.

So ANY sup file you got(or will get or find) is not what you need. You need a copy in .bin format of a preexisting good SnapOS from another drive to copy on to your drive. Without this you are out of luck.
Redundant , but I hope the point is clear.

bitor
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

I have a working Snap 1000 with a 40 gb drive. Would that drive work to reimage the 250 GB drive in the 1100?

I have to say since I have this nice flash based UI it does seem like the snapserver is working. I was under the impression the UI was all on the disk, but in this model that is clearly not the case. The disk is completely unnecessary for me to use the UI, assign IP address, pw, etc. Proof is I was able to do all that and I have no disk.

Some of these snapservers can apparently prep a new drive and do so automatically as soon as you put one in. This 1100 is not like that?

Maybe the drive is just bad.
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
bitor
Cooling Savant

It should work. What do you have to loose? Follow the directions in the forum on how to image and post back if it works or not.
Follow link for info:
http://wiki.procooling.com/index.php...de_Information

My understanding of the flash models that work like that(automatically install the SnapOS) are the much older ones. The newer ones I believe do not function that way. The flash however holds some important configure information but is only good IF the SnapOS image is installed on the hard drive.

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo
I have a working Snap 1000 with a 40 gb drive. Would that drive work to reimage the 250 GB drive in the 1100?

I have to say since I have this nice flash based UI it does seem like the snapserver is working. I was under the impression the UI was all on the disk, but in this model that is clearly not the case. The disk is completely unnecessary for me to use the UI, assign IP address, pw, etc. Proof is I was able to do all that and I have no disk.

Some of these snapservers can apparently prep a new drive and do so automatically as soon as you put one in. This 1100 is not like that?

Maybe the drive is just bad.
Unread 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Phoenix32
Thermophile

I think the 2-minute rule applies here, but I never pay attention to that, so here is my bull in the china shop reply.

First, it sounds as if he has a FLASHRAM OS unit.

If yes, then he does not need an image!!!! (this is what I think he has)

If no, then something is all wacked out here in the conversation. How is he seeing stuff at all if it is not booted up and in the OS....

Second, if it is the FLASHRAM unit, then.. Dude, WIPE THE DRIVE... I mean No data, no partitions, no formats. WIPED!!!! Then try again.. Bet it works...

This assumes it has OS 3.4.803 or above (for drives larger than 128MB), which I have to assume it does since he said it was a 250GB unit in the first place.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
blue68f100
Thermophile

The 1000 and 1100's use different OS modules. My experieces is a 49/51 chance it may, leaning toward not. If it does you need to reload the the OS from the sup file.

To confirm flashram boot with out HD and see of the gui comes up. It's also possiable the MB was replaced with a 1000 model.

If flashram unit give it 20 min and see with a clean HD like Andy said. I have worked on one of these in them middle transition units and they are flaky.

Last edited by blue68f100; 06-14-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Unread 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
bitor
Cooling Savant

It seems as if there is a file SnapOS corruption on his hard drive. Due to either bad sectors or a bad install or etc..
I've had enough of these units to know if the SnapOS is not installed correctly you can get access to the WebGUI, BUT the SnapOS does NOT properly work correctly.
However, Dave is correct. Just remove the drive and if you get webGUI then you have FLASH RAM OS. But I tend to think it needs to be re imaged and I would guess that it is not flash ram os.
Hopefully, he will be able either way to fix his problem.
bitor
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

OK, now we're getting somewhere.
I unplugged the HDD and removed it from the unit.
Powered it up. I had previously set the ip address to 192.168.1.30 and was able to access the web gui with either a web browser or with Assist.

With the HDD removed I cannot access any of that either way.

I just re inserted the HDD and I can access the web gui again at the same IP. Assist also finds the unit.

So it appears it is loading something off the drive but the drive is not found by any of the utilities. No flash rom here.

Check or Repair Disk says
This page is not available because no disks were found.

As do all the other pages on the Disk Status page.

So now we know. The disk does work, but the storage area is not being found, though it seems likely the settings that I set, IP address, server name, pw, are stored on the disk that I cannot otherwise access.

The server log page says:
Severity legend: I=Information, W=Warning, E=Error, F=Fatal Error, S=Server Startup
Message Source Date Time
E LCD Message : FAILED: Disk 1 System 6/14/2008 2:54:44 PM
S System Initialization : Server v4.0.860
Build Date: Mar 2 2005 17:50:55
Boot Count: 11 System 6/14/2008 2:54:34 PM

Obviously the data area needs to be reformatted which is a function on the disk maint page, but since the disk it not found I can't do that.

So what's the next step? I think we have proven the disk does work, but there is some sort of corruption that is preventing the data area from being available.

Is there a command in the debug window to force initialization?
Unread 06-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
blue68f100
Thermophile

Do you have debug access?

IF so use the "co de format 10000/init" to init the drive. If not I would suspect you have a damaged os, or disk.

You can also try reloading the OS using Assist by putting the unit in FLUP mode (5 blink pattern). If you try this have the snap in the FLUP mode atleast 30-45 sec before trying to push the sup down.

Unread 06-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

I pasted that line in the debug window, no success.

6/14/2008 19:02:44 Command: co de format 10000/init

Invalid device id 10000 requested

------------
Command returned with console error 1.

I just put it in 5 blink mode, but do I hold down reset for restart, or do I just push the update down with assist while it is blinking? The directions here say to continue reset but the 5 blink state is not really reset, like the 1-4 blinks.

So, after I get the disk light blinking 5x what then?

OK, I got the disk light blinking 5x and held down reset.
The unit restarted. The system and disk lights are blinking 1x together. The link light is on steady.

I have been trying to access it with assist. No success. Assist says "The ip address of the server is currently in use or unreachable."

I cannot connect with assist nor with the IP address via the web interface in this mode. Assist does seem to see it, but it might be lying. It's on the list and I can get info which is correct.

Here is my system log, same as before.

Message Source Date Time
E LCD Message : FAILED: Disk 1 System 6/14/2008 7:30:12 PM
I INIT: Setting IP address to 192.168.1.30 Network 6/14/2008 7:30:02 PM
S System Initialization : Server v4.0.860
Build Date: Mar 2 2005 17:50:55
Boot Count: 14

Last edited by Steevo; 06-14-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Unread 06-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
blue68f100
Thermophile

You need to follow the instruction using Assist to update the OS. During the process you will be asked to put the server into FLUP mode. 5 blinks is FLUP mode.

Unread 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
You need to follow the instruction using Assist to update the OS. During the process you will be asked to put the server into FLUP mode. 5 blinks is FLUP mode.
I haven't found any instructions like that, either on the forums or on the wiki.

Can you point me to specific directions? I would appreciate it.

I found this, but there is no mention of FLUP mode.
Quote:
Update Requirements

To update your Snap Server using Assist, you need the following. If you do not have these required items, contact Customer Support for assistance.

· A configured Snap Server running software version 2.0 (or later). Such Snap Servers appear in green in the Assist Servers list.
· Snap Server software or Help files in a Software Upgrade Package (.SUP) file.

The Snap Server CD-ROM includes three .SUP files that you can use to upgrade or restore your Snap Server to the original version software, as well as a virtual machine upgrade.

File name Description
SNAP_HLP.SUP Contains all the Help files required by the version software. You can use this file as part of the procedure to upgrade an older Snap Server to a newer version, or to restore the Help files should they become damaged as the result of a disk failure.
SNAP_SYS.SUP Contains all the system and Help files required to run the version software.
SNAP_JVM.SUP Contains the virtual machine needed to run applications based on Java technology.
Update Procedure

To update your Snap Server’s software from a .SUP file:

1 Perform a full backup of the files stored on the Snap Server.
2 Start Assist.
3 In the Servers list, select the server you want to upgrade. The server you are updating must appear in green, indicating that it has been configured and is running version 2.0 (or later) of the software.
4 Click Advanced, enter an administrator user name and the password you have assigned to the administrator users, and click OK. The Advanced window appears.

5 Click the Upgrade Server tab.
6 Click Browse to locate the Snap Server upgrade (.SUP) file, then double-click the file name to display it in the Upgrade dialog box.
7 Click Apply to start the update process.

Assist displays a status bar that indicates the progress of the update and the percentage complete. The upgrade procedure can take some time, and will restart the server.

Copyright © 1998-2001, Quantum Corporation. All rights reserved. Portions of Assist Copyright © 2000 eHelp Corporation. All rights reserved. Information in this document is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment on the part ofQuantum. The software described in this document is furnished under a license agreement. The software may be used only in accordance with the terms of the agreement. It is against the law to copy the software on any medium. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, for any purpose without the express written permission of Quantum.
My server does appear in green so it appears this is the procedure, and I have done this. But no success.

Last edited by Steevo; 06-14-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 06-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #22
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
1 Perform a full backup of the files stored on the Snap Server.
2 Start Assist.
3 In the Servers list, select the server you want to upgrade. The server you are updating must appear in green, indicating that it has been configured and is running version 2.0 (or later) of the software.
4 Click Advanced, enter an administrator user name and the password you have assigned to the administrator users, and click OK. The Advanced window appears.

5 Click the Upgrade Server tab.
6 Click Browse to locate the Snap Server upgrade (.SUP) file, then double-click the file name to display it in the Upgrade dialog box.
7 Click Apply to start the update process.

Assist displays a status bar that indicates the progress of the update and the percentage complete. The upgrade procedure can take some time, and will restart the server.
During this process you will be prompted to put the unit in FLUP mode.

Your down to where you need to try a Image file, there is nothing else that can be done at this time. The 1100's in most all cases uses a 2200.bin file, but I have seen early models use the 1000.bin file.

Unread 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #23
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
During this process you will be prompted to put the unit in FLUP mode.

Your down to where you need to try a Image file, there is nothing else that can be done at this time. The 1100's in most all cases uses a 2200.bin file, but I have seen early models use the 1000.bin file.
I have done that process, at no time during that process with assist am I prompted to put the server in FLUP mode. Nevertheless I have put it in FLUP mode and tried that very process and assist cannot find the server for upgrade, though it still appears as green in the list and I can still get information on it.

So I am stopped.

I have a .sup file, Snap_4_x.sup, 29.3 MB (30,815,135 bytes) in size.

Another, that was sent to me by adaptec, snap_sys.sup 29.3 MB (30,814,256 bytes)

Last edited by Steevo; 06-15-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #24
blue68f100
Thermophile

You have already tried using the admin gui upgrade option. Since this has failed, you need to have a 2200 image file to reload the HD. The OS sounds like it is corrupted beyound repair.

Unread 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Steevo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
You have already tried using the admin gui upgrade option. Since this has failed, you need to have a 2200 image file to reload the HD. The OS sounds like it is corrupted beyound repair.
OK, what is the exact name and size of the archive that contains the 2200 image file?

The one I received from Adaptec was called
snapos_34807.exe
containing folder
SnapOS_34807
containing file
snap_sys.sup
of size 29.3 MB (30,814,256 bytes)

But that seems to not be the correct file.