Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
ManyOne64
Cooling Neophyte

Default 128 point high temperature cooling design.

I have designed a cooling system for a high density cluster server. It provides cooling for 128 points in a volume of .39 cubic meters, or about the size of a 44 gallon drum, to give you an idea.

I have no idea were to go from here. If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them. The included image is a comparison to a 64 node Beowulf cluster built from standard ATX cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compar01.jpg (19.8 KB, 71 views)
ManyOne64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Talcite
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: 128 point high temperature cooling design.

wait. I don't get what you're trying to do. Would you mind explaining in greater detail please?
Talcite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talcite
wait. I don't get what you're trying to do. Would you mind explaining in greater detail please?
What he said. Are you looking to manufacture the design, sell it or what?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Take 64 dual processor rackmount units, and replace them with 64 SFF boxes, arrange them in a drum and run the cold air in from the middle.

Not sure how you got dual core mobos in an SFF though; they make those?

This is simply an optimization of air flow.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
Take 64 dual processor rackmount units, and replace them with 64 SFF boxes, arrange them in a drum and run the cold air in from the middle.

Not sure how you got dual core mobos in an SFF though; they make those?

This is simply an optimization of air flow.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. He wants to liquid cool this beast according to an e-mail he sent. He has a design it seems and want info on how to go about getting it into production as he doesn't have the funding to do so.

I honestly have no idea were to start with getting this into production. The main thing is making people think it is a must have and worth buying or no one in their right mind will consider putting up cash for production.
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

All server rooms are designed for rectangal things, not round ones.
Why round?
Motherboards are rectangals, HDDs are rectangals, expansion cards are rectangals.
The picture shows lots of wasted space. Why do you need to get to the front of any of the nodes?
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
Edge
Cooling Neophyte

Server rooms are also designed for front to back cooling with hot and cold aisles - vertical heat stacks are problematic.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
TaTs
Cooling Neophyte

I work as tech support and we have something around 200 servers in a server room. They range from mainframe, passing through windows, linux, unix up to Open VMS. One thing that I can tell from personal experience is that the last thing you want to worry about is if the cooling system in a server box is running or not.

It's cool (pun intended) to run a watercooling setup on a machine at home, but it's far from practical to even consider the same on a multi-server environment.
Too many variables and too many failure points to consider.
I would never buy a server with a watercooling kit unless it came with the box and it was fully supported by the vendor.
Another thing is that it's a tight fit inside a rack server, specially the new Intel/AMD boxes with 2 or 4 Us, when you pop them open you can see there's no space available.

Anyway good luck with your project.
_________
TaTs
TaTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Colt357tw
Cooling Neophyte

already been done, there are several to choose from, just google them.
not of those can cool as effectively as our current projeect though :P
Colt357tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

The main failing of liquid cooling is "what's next?". I personally like Suns's approach fixing the problem on the electronics side with more efficient cooler running processors and other electronic parts.

That will the be the key to the future, not liquid cooling. Once liquid cooling is tapped out then the next options are ridiculously expensive.

In my opinion the need for water cooling is taking a step back wards in progress. However you have to deal with the hand that is dealt. Server manufactures see some serious $$$ to be made in liquid cooling aswell. Look at Mac for example. Charging $1,000 for a replacment liquid cooling modual..... That thing costs less than $100 to make...

Anyway carry on.