Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Snap1000 Mirror? Say it isn't so.

The picture displays a Snap1000 in a mirror configuration. The model number was never changed OR no other image was used or modified besides the Snap1000 image/OS and all completed on a single unit. No third party software was used to hack the Snap1000 OS image either.

This is one example of what anybody can do IF you allow creativity and not micromanage thoughts, ideas or opinions. It's not about egos or my way or the highway...it's about trial and errors and learning.

Why do it? Because it's all about learning and figuring things out no matter what others think or say. Time will tell if you are correct or not. So, let people run there course. I did it and this is to encourage all to go for it.

I'm testing it right now so please do not ask how I did this. I will not release information until I'm finished testing. And when I do, IT WILL BE FREE because that's what this open forum is about(Helping others). Anybody else thinks otherwise should maybe open there OWN forum or business and start charging.

The picture says it all.

Share and share a like, enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap1000mirror.jpg (145.5 KB, 30 views)
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
thundercat3121
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap1000 Mirror? Say it isn't so.

Wow, bitor...great job! It's to bad that these are older Snaps. Many ppl still use them. So this is still a good thing.
thundercat3121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
bitor
Cooling Savant

thundercat3121,

Thanks!!
The views,expressions and opinions are mine and mine alone from what I have learned. These will be solely directed to the member by member's name and no other person unless I use no name. I make no warranties or guarantees.
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
thundercat3121
Cooling Neophyte

How is the testing coming a long? R u going to dole it out anytime soon?
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
bitor
Cooling Savant

Hello thundercat3121:

I have completed my extensive testing and everything has passed 100%. Just to clear any doubt that some may have, I used a 100% Snap1000 operating system and NOT a 2000 or 2200 OS.
Testing(months) includes but not limited to, failing the hard drives, loading the drive to 90% and failing HHD, power out test,etc..etc.. ALL tests have passed with NO problems. Recovery takes a bit of time.
I used 2x250GB HHD on the OEM power supply with no problems. These are my first hand facts.

Unfortunately, I will not be releasing this information or other info here, because there are a few here who are narrow minded and like to criticize and harass and micromanage members who have different experience/results that are contrary to the "few". The bad treatment towards any member here because of this is not conducive to the well being of this forum. As a result of the "few", posting has dropped off exponentially and health debate and discussion to agree to disagree in a polite/respectful way has made many members dissatisfied of what they have seen and are reluctant to post/discuss/share(info) topics and/or have just left for good. Again first hand knowledge.

This saying is true for these few I speak about here. One bad apple can/has rotten the whole bushel.

Anyway, you can figure it out if you try hard enough. Remember, don't let others tell you that it cannot be done because time will tell if you are correct or not. Remember the type of ppl who do not think outside of the box are forever imprisoned in it.

I did it and so can you!

Best of luck to you,

bitor
The views,expressions and opinions are mine and mine alone from what I have learned. These will be solely directed to the member by member's name and no other person unless I use no name. I make no warranties or guarantees.
Unread 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

I don't see any thing hard about hooking up a different cable (for dual HD's) and split power connector. But why would you. The transfer rate (<4mbps) on these would require a week to do a daily backup and may not finish in a week. They don't even have enough performance to stream music.

Personally, I would not waste my time on the SnapOS units as a backup unit.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
thundercat3121
Cooling Neophyte

bitor, I do understand what you are talking about.
I'll give it a try Thanks. And if anybody thinks its as easy as hookin' up a different cable etc and getting it to work in a mirror. Go ahead and give it a try and see if it will work. It won't.

These models are good. I have one and I can stream music with mine just fine. I've never have had any problems anytime streaming my mp3,wav with various bit rates to my players at home. It's fast enough for me and lot's of other home users. I'm staying with it and am not interested in the others Snaps.

These Snap1?00 are the most used snaps for home users now. And I have been nothing short of happy with mine for what I need it to do for me(bakup,stream music,other). And to have it in a mirror is a great thing. Who cares how long it takes to recover if a hard drive takes a noise dive. As long as I get my data back and not have to pay lots of $$$ to have it recovered.

But I guess the point here is that bitor has done it and no one else has.

Great job bitor!!

Maybe you will release it some other place ))...just askin'

I'm out....
P.S. And yes I'm well aware of ALL the SNAPOS limitations- that doesn't bother me..thans
Unread 11-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat3121 View Post
if anybody thinks its as easy as hookin' up a different cable etc and getting it to work in a mirror. Go ahead and give it a try and see if it will work. It won't.
I hate to pop your bubble, but it really is that easy on most of those units. I myself(and others have done it). This is VERY old news.

Quote:
These models are good. I have one and I can stream music with mine just fine. I've never have had any problems anytime streaming my mp3,wav with various bit rates to my players at home. It's fast enough for me and lot's of other home users. I'm staying with it and am not interested in the others Snaps.
Okay? If your happy with it, then use it. Duh...

They are however very limited due to the speed limitaions (among other things). Very high bit rate Audio and most Video will need higher bit rates than it can handle. As for backups, for small backups, sure. But for large amounts of data, I know very few people who want their computer doing a backup or restore that could be many days or even weeks.

Quote:
These Snap1?00 are the most used snaps for home users now.
While I can't prove either way, I stronly suspect you are way way off base on that one. I would have to say there are more 4xxx units out there in homes being still used than any others. And yes, that includes both Snap OS and GOS units.

Quote:
Who cares how long it takes to recover if a hard drive takes a noise dive.

As long as I get my data back and not have to pay lots of $$$ to have it recovered.
Who cares? Most people I know of do. Very few have small enough amounts of data anymore, or time enough they want to burn, to use that type unit for realistic backups.

You can get far better, larger, faster, and just as much or more reliable backups for next to nothing $ wise these days. Have you even looked around? Really?

Quote:
But I guess the point here is that bitor has done it and no one else has.

Great job bitor!!
And my point is, very little of what you said was accurate or useful to much of anyone coming to read here.

That last part was a bold face lie. MANY MANY other people have done it, including myself and at least 5 people I can think of instantly off the top of my head from this forum. And long before Bitor ever came to this forum (or me either).

I seriously have to wonder what Bitor paid you or did for you or you owe him to get you to make a statement so full of crap as that one. WOW

SNAP OS Users, Listen to David (blue68f100) for advice. He is by far, and I mean leaps and bounds more versed in the those units than anyone else I know of here on the forum. And so far above Bitor it can't be described.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
thundercat3121
Cooling Neophyte

Whatever dude. All you have given are words that I don't need or want. No THANKS, I don't need somebody like you to tell me this or that or who I should go to get advice for information on any snaps. I can do that on my own. And I'm fine with my model and others I know are too.
So, I have my experance and you have yours. We both have words but neither of us have hard data to back what we say up. So that makes us both liers according to you.
For me and my friends that I do know, it works great streaming my high bit rate mp3 and wav files with no problems.

No excuses prove it. I challenge you and anybody to takes some pics of a fuctioning snap1?00 in a mirror and upload them for others to see like bitor has done it(read bitor's posts for details). If we don't see pictures then it's just not proof but words that mean nothing to anybody.

Give me a break I don't know you or anybody else here. This is only my 6th post and maybe my last because of you.

Just sayin' my views ,That bein' said--
i'm out..and unsubscribing to this thread after this post...find somebody else to stroke your know it all ego.

Last edited by thundercat3121; 11-19-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: yeah,yeah,added INFO--Dude I am edit king.haha
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
blue68f100
Thermophile

I no longer have 1x00 units around. It is that easy for the early models ones. The older models only have 1 controller chip, just add a cable and see what you have. I have 1 2200 that has light daily use, only purpose to backup Quicken.

As far as MP3, if your using a low quality compression it works ok. The SnapOS units (all models) are limited to about 8mbps transfer rates during read.

For transfer rates read the FAQ's, The 1000 models were the slowest of the models.

My main use is a 4500 and will stay that way. Transfer rates in raid 5 greater than I can shoot at it on a bi directional GigE network. Boot process reports >3000mbps.

Unread 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Terry Kennedy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
As far as MP3, if your using a low quality compression it works ok. The SnapOS units (all models) are limited to about 8mbps transfer rates during read.
I'm not sure if you're talking about megabits or megabytes in your post. I never got 8Mbytes/sec from my 4100's.

Even raw CD audio should be no problem for a Snap server - it is only about 1.5Mbit/sec, and MP3's have bit rates down in the 32 to 320 Kbit/sec range.

When I had 4100's, they were [just] able to serve raw DVD video, but if anything else was going on, the video would stutter.

At the peak, I had 19 480GB Snap 4100's at various locations (6 here at my house). In early 2005 I switched to some home-built servers based on FreeBSD, which provided 5TB usable storage in 3 RU's (the space of 3 Snap 4100's). In mid-2009, I designed my 2nd-generation servers which provide 31TB usable in the same physical space. These new units can do continuous random reads or writes at over 500Mbyte/sec continuously (sustained over several days). Burst performance (guaranteed for 30 seconds) is in the 4Gbyte/sec range for reading or writing. Of course, those are local speeds - the dual Gigabit ports limit network throughput to around 200MB/sec. I'm considering going to 10Gbit/sec network cards because of this.

I couldn't imagine going back to a Snap server (or at least a SnapOS-based one - I have no experience with the GOS ones). A portable USB HDD connected to a USB storage port on a router would easily out-perform any SnapOS device in terms of transfer rate, and would certainly beat any of the 137GB-limited Snap models (like the 4100) in terms of overall capacity - you can get a 1TB WD Passport Essential for $119. And it will work with Windows Vista and newer...
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
blue68f100
Thermophile

You said it, these Snap OS Units are SLOW. The 4x00's had the best performace of the SnapOS units. The 4100's were about the only ones that did not support the LBA48bit addressing. But your still limited to the IDE interface. GOS Units are nice but are a little noise due to the fact they were design for server rooms.

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
bitor
Cooling Savant

thundercat3121, quit private messaging me, thanks. I will not read or answer your private messages. To be clear, I don't know you and this is the ONLY place that I have communicated with you, but It appears that you are the only one in this thread that has acknowledged the difference in what I have done verse everybody else's way. So, thanks for your support thundrecat3121.

To clear up some misconceptions.

Just about anybody can change a Snap1x00 in to a mirror by CHANGING THE MODEL NUMBER,ETC. but my way is different and better.
You CANNOT just change a snap1x00(v1orv2) to a mirror just by changing a ribbon,power-supply,model number and expect it NOT to brick the unit. Because it will brick the unit in due time if you change the model number OR you will not be able to get the unit to work in a mirror.

What I have clearly stated in my post is that I DID NOT CHANGE THE MODEL NUMBER AT ANYTIME AND I ONLY USED A SNAP1000 OS AND NOT A 2000 OR 2200 OS.
SO, NOBODY, but myself, has been able to turn a Snap1x00 in to a mirror and not change the model number as first stated!! This is one of the key differences.
By me NOT CHANGING THE MODEL NUMBER I have been able to make a stable non-brickable Snap1000v1ORv2 OR Snap1100 mirror unit doing it my way.
It works great and has an application for me and maybe others.

Also,
Terry,myself(now) & thundercat3121, have pointed out that these units are very capable of streaming mp3 320Kbps(Hight bit rate) with NO PROBLEMS.
Snap1x00 are great for home users and lots of people THAT I KNOW use them for just this purpose (streaming music) and other uses. AND if people are happy with this then just accept that.
Everybody doesn't need or wants the fastest model or faster model. thundercat3121 has clearly pointed out that he is happy and content with his choose.
No matter what you think or say here there are, including myself, lots of people that are knowledgeable about these SnapOS units.

"Slow" is relative to what their NEEDS and wants and application requirements ARE that will SATISFY them as a user. In this case, streaming mp3 high bit rate 320kbps. works great,backups works for his needs!

Regardless of what you think about Snap1x00 units , they are still used to this day and are very good user friendly WebGUI units that allow people to share files over a WAN or LAN,virus free OS,etc with or without being in a mirror.

I did this because I had a NEED and Apart from figuring this out I have learned a lot about the SnapOS and how it works. It was fun and I enjoyed it too. And anybody who knows the SnapOS like I do should be able to figure out what I did with little to no problems.

I really cannot stress this enough so read this carefully and save yourself the trouble if you are smart. Take my Snap1x00 mirror I have written about here as you like. What I say is true and anybody who says to the contrary doesn't know about my programing skills,knowledge or me personally. I don't have to prove anything here to anybody unless I so choose to. All I have to prove to myself is I am going to do it/did it and to inspire others to think outside of the box.

Thank you and You can do it!!!

P.S. I like thundercat3121's challenge.