Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 08-24-2004, 07:02 AM   #201
arpsh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
Ive just downloaded and installed snap extensions on my snap server. Anyone know anywhere i can get the download add-on files?

And how can i remove S2S, as i installed it by accident and have no key or need for it?
How exactly did you get the extensions installed? The reason I ask is that they still refuse to work on my snap 1000 even after the os4 upgrade (BTW thanks for that ). I've tried using assist and the osupdate in the browser but to no avail - it says that the sup file is invalid for my platform. The JVM sup I've got is numbered as 40829 if memory serves me correct - it may be slightly older than the OS version? Alternatively, the snap extensions may not work on a 1000, but if that was the case you would have thought that SNAP technical support would have mentioned it when I phoned them!

On a different note, I upgraded the hard disk again yesterday, this time to a 120GB 7200 rpm ATA133 drive and it worked fine. I'm using a samsung spinpoint P80 with acoustic management enabled - it seems to be running cool and quiet at the moment. It wasn't something I was able to test out myself, but has anyone who failed to get an ATA133 drive working tried to:
a) downgrade it to ATA33 using the manufacturer's boot disk (I know my samsung gives me that option)
b) upgraded the OS? OS4 worked seamlessly for me.

Model: 1000
SW: 4.0.830
HW: 3.1.2
BIOS: 2.1.366
arpsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #202
jtoad
Cooling Neophyte

As a lurker and new member, I am interested in the following: Is ti actually worth upgrading a SS1000 to OS4? Having used several of them at work, we always knew they weren't exactly speedy. Now that I've done the routine with a 120GB WD ATA100, it's certainly no speedier, and I can only imagine that OS4 will only slow me down. Am I wrong?

Having said that, I'd like to try it anyway. Certainly worth a try. Did someone say it was a one way trip?

One other mod I tried, interested in opinion. I cut the fan power leads off and crimped them under the 12V contacts on the HD power jumper. Runs 100% of the time, now I don't worry about thermistor calibration, although I will have dustier interior over time. I think the tradeoff is worth it...

One last ?: Is the dog-slow IDE interface all we can do? If I put an 80-conducter cable in place, would I magically get something reasonable? *sigh*... But all has been much fun so far.

Oh yeah, here's the specs
SS1000
SW: 3.4.803
HW: 3.1.2
BIOS: 2.1.366
HD: WD 120GB ATA100 7200 (but not exactly smokin...)

jth
jtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 02:43 AM   #203
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

On my snap 2200 i used the assist and just selected the snap_jvm_40829.sup and installed it. This was on V3.4, but on v4 it should work if your snap supports it.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 06:12 AM   #204
Bigbiff8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I have just bought snap os v4 for a snap server 2200, i can either pass on a link or email people the files for it. i believe this would work on other snap servers, but i dont know which other versions. Reply here or email me, and ill try to help!!

Could someone please give me a link to this Thanks
Bigbiff8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #205
jughead
Cooling Neophyte

Default need more hardware details

Recently upgraded a Quantum Snap 2000 from 2 x 30GB to 2 x 120GB WD 7200RPM drives. The upgrade was non-eventful. The unit was already running OS4.

I have since purchased an older Meridian unit (same case as 2000) and plan to upgrade it when it arrives. Here are a couple of notes (and questions)for those planning a similar upgrade:

- Expect the CPU fan to be dead. I used a thin 60MM CPU fan off of an old CPU heatsink and screwed it down to the factory heat sink fins. The stock fan connects to the mobo via a two-pin molex connector. I slid the plastic connector off of the motherboard side gently, exposing the two pins. Then I just pushed the three-pin connector on the fan side down on top of it. The yellow wire will just connect to nothing. So far the server log is not reporting any temperature problems.

-If you are considering upgrading your IDE cables to 80pin versions, make sure the plastic IDE connectors are as short as possible. The mobo and drive boards are sandwiched so close together, my tall 80pin connectors woudn't fit. So I'm running on the original cables for now.

-The Quantum Snap 2000 has a standard PC66/100/133 SDRAM dimm socket. So I took the opportunity while it was open to throw in a bigger DIMM (128MB). Apparently the older Meridian units use FPM ram. Does anyone know if you can swap EDO ram for FPM in the Meridian? Most old PC's allow this. I don't have any FPM anymore but I still have some EDO lying around.

The plan for the Meridian when it arrives:

1. Upgrade to OS4.
2. Try adding more memory.
3. 2 x 200GB drive upgrade.

Is there anything specific about the Meridian units that I need to be aware of?
jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #206
arpsh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
On my snap 2200 i used the assist and just selected the snap_jvm_40829.sup and installed it. This was on V3.4, but on v4 it should work if your snap supports it.
That's exactly what I tried on my 1000 but no joy - I think we can safely say that the 1000s don't support snap extensions (unless of course anyone out there knows different).
Unread 08-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #207
whitestick
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpsh
That's exactly what I tried on my 1000 but no joy - I think we can safely say that the 1000s don't support snap extensions (unless of course anyone out there knows different).
Did you do the config/debug change to make the 1000 think that it is a 2000 first. I did that, my machine now reports that it is a 2000. I don't have the .sup software that you mentioned, so I can't try it, unless you want to send it to me, in which case I can try it for you. Or at least in the OS 4.03 software that I have, I can't find that java .sup software to upgrade it. I might have it, and just not know where to look. It's happend before.
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2004, 01:48 AM   #208
jughead
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead
The plan for the Meridian when it arrives:

1. Upgrade to OS4.
2. Try adding more memory.
3. 2 x 200GB drive upgrade.
The Meridian arrived today. It had a single 8.4GB drive in it and 32MB of FPM RAM. The CPU is an

AMD clone of a Pentium 75MHz. It has no heat sink or fan. There is only one IDE header on the

motherboard so to upgrade to two drives you must jumper them master/slave and use a single, longer

IDE cable (provided inside).

server number: 25xxx
hardware version: 1.1.0
BIOS version: 1.2.180

After verifying it was working, I began patching the server software. I attempted to perform BIOS upgrades using the UpdateBios.exe program. That apparently

ran to completion. I did not write down the BIOS version as it shipped, but it put me at the BIOS

rev shown above. I then tried to run updateSnap.exe and that konked out. My guess is that the

version of this program I was using was for hardware version 2.0.0 or higher.

Question: What was the last bios rev for hardware version 1.1.0 snap servers?

Next, I tried upgrading the SnapOS. First, I installed 3.4.803. No problems. Next I tried

installing 4.0.830. Part of the way through the upgrade the words "Unknown Error" appeared at the bottom left corner of the browser screen. After waiting a few minutes I hit the <OK> button and the version showed 4.0.830. No problems again. At this point I shut the thing down and pulled the hard drive, replacing it with two 40GB Seagate Barracuda V's I had lying around. Upon rebooting the server recognized the drives at full size and began formatting them. Then I installed the 4.0.830 help files. No problems. Then I tried installing the JVM. The system said the .sup file was not supported. I tried a couple of other JVM versions I had and got the same error.

Question: So am I right to conclude that the JVM will not run on Meridian snap servers?

I then tried again to update the BIOS. All that accomplished was to reset the server back to version 2 of SnapOS and I had to start this process all over again.
Unread 08-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #209
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

New to this forum.
I have a Snap 2200 and due to my own stupidity I have
lost both drives.
Am I right that the OS is stored on one or both of the drives?
Also is there a way I can get this re-loaded on the drives?
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #210
arpsh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Did you do the config/debug change to make the 1000 think that it is a 2000 first. I did that, my machine now reports that it is a 2000. I don't have the .sup software that you mentioned, so I can't try it, unless you want to send it to me, in which case I can try it for you. Or at least in the OS 4.03 software that I have, I can't find that java .sup software to upgrade it. I might have it, and just not know where to look. It's happend before.
Yes, I tried it as a 1000 and a 2000 with no joy. If you want I can e-mail the java .sup file (it's about 4.5 MB), but I don't expect it to work! The main reason I was wanting to use the snap extensions was to enable SSL, but as far as I am aware there are very few other java apps available for the snap.
Unread 08-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #211
jughead
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbill
New to this forum.
I have a Snap 2200 and due to my own stupidity I have
lost both drives.
Am I right that the OS is stored on one or both of the drives?
Also is there a way I can get this re-loaded on the drives?
That was true for my Quantum Snap 2000. After installing the new drives and letting them finish formatting, you must re-add the two hidden network shares Java$ and Webroot$. After that, you will have to re-install the help and java .sup files because they ARE stored on the hard drive. After that, you should be up and running.
Unread 08-31-2004, 03:18 AM   #212
phaedrus
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
There is a usenet posting on google about this - someone has done it.

Look for msg-id <3efed8ef$0$30820$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
All credit to the original poster Robert Lowery.

In case you can't find the articles I'll briefly quote from it:

"The trick to get it working was to use the hidden webpage
http://servername/config/debug

I changed the hardware version number using the command "bios
PlatformBytes 4 0 0". My Snap 1000 was version 3.1.1, the 4.0.0 was just a guess.

This change allowed the update to succeed (I used the OSUpdate.exe
utility, but I imagine using the Web Page or Assist will also work). I then reset
my hardware version back to 3.1.1 just to be safe.

I then enabled the JVM (you can use either the webpage or "jvm engine
enable" in the debug webpage, but it failed to start.

I tracked the problem down using "info log T" in the debug webpage and
found that the jvm was failing to get enough memory. By default the JVM was
trying to get 24MB and my Snap 1000 has 32MB total. I changed this down
to 8MB using "jvm ram 8", and while I was at it enabled ssl with "jvm ssl
on".

After reboot, my snap server now supports SSL connections (albeit slowly)."

A second posting notes a caution:

"I just tried this again after mucking up my Java$ network share, but this
time I forgot to reset my hardware version number to 3.1.1 before the snap
server rebooted, and I think I have turned my snap server into a boat
anchor, as it no longer boots. Looks like I'll have to remove the bios
and reprogram it back to 3.1.1

So in summary, the instructions in my previous posting work perfectly,
just reset the hardware version back as soon as snap_jvm.sup starts installing."

This thread is really useful - I've already upgraded a couple of Snapservers after coming across it.

phaedrus
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 05:27 AM   #213
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I have distributed snap os v4 to mroe than 40 people now

A couple of people have asked if i want anything in return for the snap os v4. I said no, just some help with my server. But ive been thinking..

There is a game i want that is $20, i know this isn't a lot, so if someone wants to buy it to say thanks (or club up for it) let me know and i will pass on the details. It has to be bought with pay pal, so it would be easy for people to split the cost.

Don't mean to sound cheeky... But it did cost me $189, and you lot all saved that and more!!!

Thanks

Sam
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:43 AM   #214
whitestick
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I have distributed snap os v4 to mroe than 40 people now

A couple of people have asked if i want anything in return for the snap os v4. I said no, just some help with my server. But ive been thinking..

There is a game i want that is $20, i know this isn't a lot, so if someone wants to buy it to say thanks (or club up for it) let me know and i will pass on the details. It has to be bought with pay pal, so it would be easy for people to split the cost.

Don't mean to sound cheeky... But it did cost me $189, and you lot all saved that and more!!!

Thanks

Sam
I certainly appreciate your help, and would join in. But, a thought, which game is it that you want. Someone might already have it, and can send it to you, advancing the spirit of sharing as you have already done. Please let us know.
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:26 PM   #215
arpsh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus
There is a usenet posting on google about this - someone has done it.

Look for msg-id <3efed8ef$0$30820$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
All credit to the original poster Robert Lowery.

This thread is really useful - I've already upgraded a couple of Snapservers after coming across it.
Thanks for the info, I've just upgraded and it went without a hitch Having said that, I'd caution anyone about turning on SSL before the jvm is enabled and the server restarted - I needed a reset to be able get back in, doh!

I would also re-iterate that the hardware version needs setting back to the orginal version as soon as the upgrade kicks off - don't wait for it to end because the server restarts automatically.

For anyone reading phaedrus's post who isn't familiar with the debug page, typing "?" brings up a list of commands, including "bios unlock" and "bios lock" which you need to be able change the hardware version.

Now, if only SSL wasn't so slow........
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:34 PM   #216
whitestick
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I've just upgraded and it went without a hitch Having said that, I'd caution anyone about turning on SSL before the jvm is enabled and the server restarted - I needed a reset to be able get back in, doh!

I would also re-iterate that the hardware version needs setting back to the orginal version as soon as the upgrade kicks off - don't wait for it to end because the server restarts automatically.

For anyone reading phaedrus's post who isn't familiar with the debug page, typing "?" brings up a list of commands, including "bios unlock" and "bios lock" which you need to be able change the hardware version.

Now, if only SSL wasn't so slow........
Well, in spite of all your warnings, i was too slow to re-enable the hardware version, and it rebooted before I did it. Thus, I now have a similar version of his original boat anchor. Were you able to find out how to get it back to a bootable condition, or how he was able to remove the bios, as he mentioned. Unfortunately, it appears just redoing the hard drive won't do it, as the new version information is now in nvram, and I have to get it up, to make that change, and so the circle turns.
Unread 09-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #217
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

The game is one that has to be bought from the web and needs registering.. and ive had an offer to buy this game.

But if anyone has
The Sims Deluxe Edition
The Sims Superstar
The Sims Makin Magic
Enter the Matrix
for the pc, id be grateful.

Thanks

Sam
Unread 09-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #218
fjcrawler
Cooling Neophyte

Default How to get it out of diagnostic mode

I have one of the original snap servers (s/n 25780) that came with a couple of
6 GB drives. I bought it from a guy and I've been reading the manual to get it to work. I had to put it in diagnostic mode to change the IP address so my DHCP router would see it. I hit the reset button 4 times (as per documentation), but after I got it all setup, it is still in the diagnostic mode (flashing system LED).

Anybody know how to take it out of diagnotic mode? I tried rebooting, but it did not help.

It looks like the pic below..

Thanks in advance,
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg joe-snap-nas1.jpeg (11.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by fjcrawler; 09-01-2004 at 03:57 PM.
fjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #219
snapping
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Again if anyone wants snap os v4 (bought for 2200) ive been told it works on 2000,2200,1000,1100, i can email the file or give the link to the download site.
Thanks poogles_uk for the offer. I have a Snap 2000. Can you send the files to correoww@nerdshack.com or provide the url where I can download them?

Many thanks!
snapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 12:41 AM   #220
iakinfiev
Cooling Neophyte

Default hallo poogles

if your offer on the snap os v4 still holds, i would much appreciate - got the 2200 as a trade for some consulting - seems silly to pay for the OS
let me know
thanks in advance
ilya

Quote:
Again if anyone wants snap os v4 (bought for 2200) ive been told it works on 2000,2200,1000,1100, i can email the file or give the link to the download site.
iakinfiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 01:50 AM   #221
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Ok, from now on im not able to really help anyone by sending snap os v4. I would post the link but it would be possible that it would be closed down, so i need someone to take over distribution of the link, and someone to make a mirror for the file if possible?

Thanks

Sam
Unread 09-02-2004, 01:52 AM   #222
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I have now got a maxtor diamond max 80gb hard drive for me snap server 2200.

Which is the best way to do the upgrade? I.e. clone the original drive? Or something else? As there has been many ways to do it.

Sam
Unread 09-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #223
arpsh
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I have now got a maxtor diamond max 80gb hard drive for me snap server 2200.

Which is the best way to do the upgrade? I.e. clone the original drive? Or something else? As there has been many ways to do it.

Sam
Doing the clone has always worked seamlessly for me (using clone-n-recover as in post #41 on this thread) - but it does take quite some time! Some people have mentioned cloning just the first 50000 blocks, but I suppose the exact size might vary depending upon which version of the OS people are using, not having tried it myself (post #95). Chip (post #63) also suggested copying out sectors 0-4096, he used Diskprobe to make a backup image for future cloning purposes.

Having come across this forum well before anyone ever mentioned dolly.exe I haven't tried it, is it easier to use than clone-n-recover (which is very straightforward)? Of course all of these methods are dos based, Linux being a bit beyond a simple soul like me ...
Unread 09-02-2004, 02:01 PM   #224
fjcrawler
Cooling Neophyte

Anyone know how to get the bios, OS, firmware version? I went into
http://snapserver/config/debug
but it looks just like http://snapserver/config
screen.

I don't think my snap server is in disgnostic mode. I can see it from my win2k box when I select, "computers near me," but still cannot see th drives.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
fjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #225
shen
Cooling Neophyte

Let's share the SnapSoftware!

Hi all,

didn't read the thread for a few weeks and I'm happy that we seem to have a solution for the 120 GB barrier ;-)

I own two 4100 devices and I have SnapOS 4.0830 for 4x00 Devices here (if someone want's to upgrade). It's a 25 MB zip file.

I am interested in the Server2Server Copy software, but I have no license key :-(

So my idea to share SnapServer keys and software is to use the ******* network.

I would ask everybody who has SnapOS software or license keys to share them using *******. To find related files in the ******* network, it would be nice to give them a filename like "SnapServer_XXX", where XXX is the description. So everybody just hast to search for "SnapServer" and one will find related files.

To get this thing working I offer REMOVED

Please reply if you also share your SnapServer related software with us and what filename you gave it. Please reply also if you found the file I offered here.

Last edited by blue68f100; 02-12-2006 at 12:57 PM.
shen is offline   Reply With Quote