Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 08-12-2003, 08:49 AM   #76
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thx Jackal!

Unfortunately, the block is VERY flow restrictive, and that's one of the things that will make me ditch it soon. It makes my little maxi jet pump considerably warmer and louder, too much backpressure.

The base thickness is 1 - 1.5 mm, I cannot say more precisely cos I made the channels with dremel, from the hand.

I still got nothing on the south bridge chip, I was thinking of passive hs, but not sure will I keep the mobo or go for a newer one.

Well, back to the drawing board, and I can't say I feel too sad cos of that

Cheers!
Unread 08-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #77
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

Puzzdre,

When drilling through Plexi/Acrylic, there is an EASY way to prevent cracking!!!

How you say? :shrug: :shrug:

Use either a steep angle bit, which, you can buy or grind down yourself. Endmills work well too.

OR

Clamp a second piece of scrap Plexi/Acrylic under it (just enough to catch the whole drill bit tip). Remember to clamp it down tight.

This will give the bit tip more material to drill into and less chance of snapping the finish part you are working on.

As for tapping Plexi/Acrylic... I used sunflower or corn oil from the kitchen. You could use any vegitable based oil, but I wouldn't waste a good Olive oil on it.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #78
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thx for the tips TimeLord!

I managed to drill the plexy without developing cracks, problem is how to make them not appear later, when you screw the barb in. I used some liquid semi-permanent Loctite sealant, and it works well, but tiny 'cracks', visible only under certain angle inside the structure of the plexy appeared week or so later. No leaks, just hardly visible changes inside the plexy.

I'm gonna use some lubricant next time I cut the threads in plastic, and it will not be olive oil (hmmm, fish, anybody? )

Think that I cannot find mill bit that is 14.5 mm dia, I'm gonna try to make somethin similar from a extra drill bit I have.

Thx!

Cheers!
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #79
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Looks pretty nice Puzzdre! I think I'm a 48 year old kid, I still love the UV effect.

You should have seen some of the really cool UV posters they used to sell in the US. Had a couple tacked up in my room back then, with UV floods on them.

Always like to see new set ups.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 03:11 AM   #80
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thx BE!

It seems pretty impossible that cold cathode tubes are available here in Cro for last two or three months:shrug: . I almost have installed my big UV bulb I'm using for making PCB's into the case, but it's too big, and puts a lot of heat around it...

Hehe, I'm 31 yr old kid, and must admit, it's damn good to be a kid with it's own income...there's so many toys out there...

Cheers!
Unread 08-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #81
cristoff
Cooling Savant

Hehe... you guys said brake disc...

Disc Brakes... proper English..
Unread 08-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #82
FRAGN'STIEN
Cooling Savant

Very nice work Puzzdre. All this is making me want to build another one. I'll have to dust off the drill press and give it a go soon.
Unread 02-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #83
joesgarage11
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Puzz

Next time you need to drill acrylic, try a brad point drill bit.
Here's what it looks like. Drill a pilot hole, move up to a bigger brad point drill and you'll have no problems.

It must have been really touchy doing it with a regular twist drill. A little too much feed rate and your top is toast.

If you've got a grinding wheel with a sharp edge, you could grind a drill yourself. Just make sure the distance from the center of the drill to the edge is the same on both flutes.
Unread 02-06-2004, 03:50 PM   #84
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Hi Joesgarage,

and thx for the tip!

I got spare 14.75 mm bit for those barb holes, and gonna take it to the machine shop to grind it for me, they already offered to do it when they made barbs for me.

And I'm gonna need it soon LOL , prep to make new set of blocks soon

Thx again for the help

CHEERS!