Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-24-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
harleyrana
Cooling Neophyte

Default water cooling for 24/7 silence?

Hey guys. what water kit would you recomend to a nebie, looking for some simple silent cooling at any cost?

The main thing is sound. Overclocking might be a nice bonus, but i really just want it to be quiet.

Im a real water cooling nebie, so im looking for a good complete kit.

What products would you recomend?

Thanks heaps
harleyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
[-Stash-]
Cooling Neophyte

Damn mechanical PC parts - I hate 'em

I'm a newbie too, but I'll tell you one thing, it's not going to be silent unless you do a BladeRunner

Personally, I put a DangerDen kit together from a Maze3 for the CPU, the GF4/9700 GPU block, heater core for the rad, an Eheim pump (1250 I think) and 2m of Tygon tubing. A couple of 120mm fans running at 5v gives the rig a very quiet noise floor but there's a problem...

... the damn hard drive. Jup, now that everything else is so quiet (the GF4 hsf was the loudest part in the case originally) I can hear the HDD loud and clear and it's not good. The WD1200JB I've got is loud in a metallic kinda way. For me this is worse than the fan noise I used to have even though it's quieter.

I'm looking into ways to reduce the hdd noise, but just be aware of that.
2*512 Ballistix 3200, 6800GT 410/1100
WD740GD, 2*120 SATA Maxtor 6Y120M0, NEC ND2500A (external)
Eheim 1250, DD Maze3, Heater Core, 1/2" Tygon
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 08:23 AM   #3
Boli
Cooling Savant

You can get HD cradles that fix your HD onto rubber support to cut down on sound. ( http://www.dansdata.com/novibes.htm )

they use the 5 1/4" bays though so you may not have the room.

I know what you mean though with the sound... all my noise comes from my PSU fans (soon to be fixed with a couple of resistors to bring them down to 7v) and my Hard Drives.

Next time I'll try and get one of those silent drives and use a file server for all the rest of my data... in another room.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
M_D_K
Cooling Neophyte

Pust some akasa Pax matting or the cooler master version on the case i can tell from experience it reduces a delta to nothing its damn good
M_D_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Yeah the quiet thing can be a bit of an ongoing saga liek Stash mentioned.

Once you get those noisy CPU/Northbridge/GPU fans out of there you start to find out that gee that PSU is loud, the optical drives really whirr, and those HDD's make a racket. All things to watch out for, some wee rubber washer type things can help with the HDD, you might need to mod your cage or a 3-5" bracket to get the washers to fir right but, it might be worth it.

There are also solutions which try to deaden the sound escaping the case, different types of paneling you can put in your case, I personally don't like most of those solutions as I find they can add alot of weight, decrease inside case size or increase heat, etc.

One big tip on fans is, bigger = quieter. I have a couple 120mm Panaflo's (86oddCFM) at 12v they are normalish noise for a fan, not a scremer, but not a real quiet one either. At 7v they are pretty quiet and still push quite a bit of air, and for a nice cool breeze and near silence 5v still gets the job done.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
[-Stash-]
Cooling Neophyte

I love big fans

Quote:
Originally posted by Khledar
Yeah the quiet thing can be a bit of an ongoing saga liek Stash mentioned.

Once you get those noisy CPU/Northbridge/GPU fans out of there you start to find out that gee that PSU is loud, the optical drives really whirr, and those HDD's make a racket. All things to watch out for, some wee rubber washer type things can help with the HDD, you might need to mod your cage or a 3-5" bracket to get the washers to fir right but, it might be worth it.
At first I thought it was my PSU (Enermax 420w jobby) since it is now getting on for 3 years old and it was a little dusty. So I cleaned it and now it's practically silent, probably was before, but it feels good to get all that dust out.

Check out more before and after pictures.

Quote:
One big tip on fans is, bigger = quieter. I have a couple 120mm Panaflo's (86oddCFM) at 12v they are normalish noise for a fan, not a scremer, but not a real quiet one either. At 7v they are pretty quiet and still push quite a bit of air, and for a nice cool breeze and near silence 5v still gets the job done.
Snap! Though I am going to pic myself up a YS-TECH FD1238 120mm fan since they might be even better low volted. Currently I have one of the Panaflows (5v) blowing in the front of the case (I nibbled a great big hole in the front of the case) across my WD1200JB which keeps it cold to the touch. Before that thing used to get toasty.

The PSU covers getting air out of the case. There is another 5v Panaflow currently sitting on top of the heater core, lose sucking air through it. I can barely feel any breeze at all, but if I turn the fan off my CPU temps rocket up from 37c load to, well, I turned it back on since it didn't seem to be stopping once it had hit 55c and I was chicken
2*512 Ballistix 3200, 6800GT 410/1100
WD740GD, 2*120 SATA Maxtor 6Y120M0, NEC ND2500A (external)
Eheim 1250, DD Maze3, Heater Core, 1/2" Tygon
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #7
richyoung
Cooling Neophyte

Check out the 24v Papst fans at excess-solutions.com. ...Rich
richyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 10:48 PM   #8
sn_85
Cooling Savant

excess-solutions has some great prices on fans. the only problem is their $25 minimum and i think outrageous shipping and handling prices. If u order under 4 fans i dont think its worth shopping there. say the order is under $25 dollars, u then have to pay the difference, which they call it an additional shipping and handling fee and on top of that u have to pay the original shipping and handling fee. the $4 fans come out to like $10 once everything is calculated. its a very good deal if you buy a lot but not just a couple of items.
sn_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 01:27 AM   #9
richyoung
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by sn_85
excess-solutions has some great prices on fans. the only problem is their $25 minimum and i think outrageous shipping and handling prices. If u order under 4 fans i dont think its worth shopping there. say the order is under $25 dollars, u then have to pay the difference, which they call it an additional shipping and handling fee and on top of that u have to pay the original shipping and handling fee. the $4 fans come out to like $10 once everything is calculated. its a very good deal if you buy a lot but not just a couple of items.
The following is what I paid. I live in California.

ES2690 38C Pabst Three Fan Panel $ 24.00 110v 120mm
ES2746 63A Pabst Fan 4414 F/12 $ 4.00 24v 80mm
ES2745 61C Pabst Fan 8314/12H $ 4.00 24v 120mm
Subtotal: $ 32.00
Tax (8.25%): $ 2.64
Shipping & Handling: $ 8.89
Total: $ 43.53

...Rich
richyoung is offline   Reply With Quote