Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-28-2003, 02:31 AM   #1
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

Hello i'm new, and i'm interested in a good cooling solution.

hello i'm new here ive been reading the posts here, been mainly posting over at [h] or sharky but lately ive been moving into area that most people over there couldn't overly help me that much, they were very helpful yes, but... anyway. i have a couple of problem and i have a couple of ideas for solution and i would like some comment and suggresion etc...

problem

1) average temperature out here where i live is about 110degree f, and i currently has this old 1ghz pentium 3 system that has bunch of fans and some pretty good heatsink in it and i don't like the temperature i see. i average maybe 58-62 degree celsus or higher idle, then under load it gets nasty it usualy hits maybe high 60's to almost 70 and i hate it.

2) i consdered an air cooling system that was even more uber than the current one that i had in the system, only problem was that it probably wouldn't help that much, it might be little cooler, but it would be very nosey, how does 2x 120mm 190CFM delta and 4x 80mm vantec torando at 84CFM plus a cpu cooler of 92mm torando at 119CFM. i'm pretty sure it would had keept the system cooler but the noise level would be unacceptable, well i can't hear it but i have 4 other family member and all of them can hear so i would be bitched at a lots about the cooling. plus it won't bring down the temp that much.

3) i want to oc' my IC7-G and p4 2.4c or 2.8c chip as high as it will go, hoping to break 3.5 if not higher

first solution

my first idea was to go after this hybrid cooling system, i would buy a prommy mach I which probably would get my cpu temp down there and nice and chilly which would enable me to oc it as high as i could without having the temp being into the high 60's

anyway correct me if i'm wrong but the prommy unit will get the cpu temp -30 below zero? i couldn't really find much info on it unfortualy.

anyway the problem was, it was expensive, it was $449 for the compressor, then $50 for the p4 cooler thingy. that's what $500

now i can decadate about $800-$900 to the cooling solution for my system.

anyway the set up would be:

vaporchill for the cpu about $500 + $200 for a nice alumium modded kit to cover up the prommy thing to make it blend in better with an lian-li 75 or 70.

then i would probably leave the abit fan on northbridge chip if its the new abit cooler, if its the old one i would yake it off and make an zahman heatsink and stick the fan back on on top of the sucker.

then for the video card which probably will be an radeon 9700 pro i was going to get an watercooling system to keep it cool.

anyway this pushed the cost pretty darn close to about $900

now i was okay with that but... i just didn't overly like the solution.

second solution or idea

i was browsering though these forums, and i was also doing little bit of researching on watercooling in hopes that i could save about $500-700 that i would had spent on that prommy and i guess maybe get some more hardware or something, it just depends.

anyway i ran over pelts, and at first i couldn't figure out wtf they would be used for, then i ran over a few post here, such as "show your frost" and i did a bit of researching on these pelt thing, and that got me thinking. maybe i could get an pretty decent cooling system, hopfully bit cheaper than using that prommy.

get an highpowered pelt, and a coldplate clamp it between the coldplate and the waterblock, then mount that sucker onto the video card, and cpu, i don't know about the northbridge the air cooling should be adequate i think, plus i want to keep the system as effecent.

anyway this is what i need help with. what sort of goodies will i need etc...

questions

1) what sort of stuff do you guys recommend for this sort of setup, with the pelt etc....

2) what sort of temp can i expect etc...

3) how much it would cost? (cooling budget of about $800-900)

4) do i need to cool the northbridge or should it be adequate with aircooling?

5) is those watercooling harddrive thing worth looking in or is it pointless and not needed burden on the watercooling system?

6) what would be a good waterblock for the pelt etc.... on the cpu and video card (radeon 9700pro or 9800 pro)

7) need a good radator, i currently have a blackice pro on my spec sheet for the radator, heard it wasn't that great of one or something?

8) basically i want a system that is almost as good as maybe vapor, well not as good but i mean a system that would let me oc' almost as high as i could on vaporchill system.

i guess i need to make my plans more detailed as it is i guess my question and stuff is probably little vanguage.

anyway this is what i was thinking.

2 or maybe 3 highpowered pelt for the cpu, the video card, and maybe northbridge.

2 or 3 waterblock to transfer the heat away fromt he pelt.

some sort of very good radator, with probably 1 or 2 120mm fan, probably not delta, i would like to but to noisey but something that is decent.

an pump which probably would be "eheim 1250"

some sort of relay or switch that is setup to start up the pump/pelts as soon as someone start up the system

aka an idiot proof or as close to an idiot proof system as possiable, my parents and bro/sis aren't that computer smart, i'm going to lock the bios on the new one cos its mine but they still might try to turn it on and well u know... cpu and stuff could die u know.

other than that i ditto, some hose, then some worm clamps

sorry i was a little vanguage but i'm just in the developing phase of the cooling system i'm not sure as of what i want, but i do know i want something that is nice and chilly
Solarian League is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Welcome Solarian League!

Erm - if you think I'm gonna read soemthign that long -

I will, just wanted to say welcome for now :P

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 04:01 AM   #3
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

haha, that's usualy my typical greeing is a short hello followed up by a HUGE post
Unread 06-28-2003, 04:41 AM   #4
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Well I've read it and I don't have a tonne of advice, I've never run a pelt setup and I have no clue how hot 110f is, and the rest is in C so... But...

I have an Abit IC7 and I just replaced the Northbrdige HSF unit. Since i bought this mobo a while ago, it had the first rev. HSF unit on the NB. This thing SUCKS! It's like a Pentium 166HSF cut down to 1/2 the size. The fan on it is loud (compared to the rest of my system, in which I think only one really quiet fan is the only fan running above 7v). So I thought, no need to WC it's just NB - so I stuck a K6-2 450mhz stock HSF on there , planning to run it passively - no go, this thing was roasting! and that was with a silicone/AS2 TIM joint! Well I settle with the easiest thing; I positioned an 80mm panaflo at 7V in the area, which I think will also help some of the caps/etc near the CPU cool down as they were getting to the point of burning hot, just see the MAX3 cooling solution, up there all those things, mosfets/caps etc were absolutely burnin, I expect CPU HSF air was intended to help cool them. When WCing that's no present to lotsa heat.

If you have a WC loop running I don't see a reason to pelt the NB -it's hot but not THAT hot - dunno what others think though, they might have more pelt experience.

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Khledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Welcome!

Let me give you a tip first: if your PC is exposed to that 110 deg F, then forget about pelt and refrigeration units: the devices will add heat to your room!

In your position I would consider a simple watercooling loop. If you really want to do something funky, then bury a tank underground, to release your heat, like Bladerunner did. If everything works well, you should get your CPU temps down by 20 deg C.

It'll also be very, very quiet
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #6
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

yeah but the problem is, with burying it is, the system gotta to be portable afterall i'm building it here, then taking it with me to college, which is by the way little bit over 2,000 miles, away i aint going to ship it i'm probably going to put it in a suitcase and put shitload of padding and carry it onboard with me onto the train or something. i hate airplanes they pack u in like sarandes.. lol

now i'm used to hot heat and i wouldn't mind the rise in room temperature i can always take a big massive fan to blow the heat out of the room out of the window, anyway my house has a little oddity in it, the bathroom window when its open ALWAYS sucks the air out and my window when its open always blows the air in so i probably could just stick a big fan in the hallway and it will blow the hotair out. it would still be hot but....

currently right now, this computer room is always 5-10 degree hotter than the outside room and it MURDERS my cpu, probably because i got a 21 inch screen and an sat modem that is almost too hot to tounch, then... u know.

anyway i really don't know what would be a good cooling solution i think a evaop tower would be pretty good one its not that humid out here its mostly dry heat so the evaop tower would work great but it wouldn't be that portable plus i have almost no room in this room...

now i don't care how much the cooling system increase the room heat i'm used to the heat plus i can probably get 2 decent fan and have one blow in the outside air which is hot but its usualy maybe 5-10 degree cooler than in the room so that would help.

bigben2k: if i owned my own house and wouldn't be moving from it anytime soon i would consder burying the tank or some of the other more extreme measures such as maybe take several very very long copper pipe and make an huge passive radator and bury it into the ground below the frost level.

anyway i did some research on watercooling, the regular stuff, and they say that you usualy can't get it below room temp unleast u do some odd stuff,

such as, those evaopation tower, or pelts and stuff, or some other stuff.
Unread 06-28-2003, 08:23 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well, if you can live with it... but I'd still go with a simple watercooling loop, also because it's a first time, and you'll probably pick up a few tips and pointers on the way.

A good waterblock will get you up to 15 deg C above ambient, and that means a max of 55 deg C, if your room temp is 40 deg C. And that's a load temp, not idle.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

yes that is good but my question is how well would it handle oc' i want to push my little chip as far as it will go i'm hoping to hit 3.5ghz atleast if not higher, how well does regular watersystem handles that?
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:35 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Solarian League
yes that is good but my question is how well would it handle oc' i want to push my little chip as far as it will go i'm hoping to hit 3.5ghz atleast if not higher, how well does regular watersystem handles that?
With those temps don't overclock or get an A/C first an then worry about it. Maybe your College will be better setup for cooling and overclocking...
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #10
Solarian League
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
With those temps don't overclock or get an A/C first an then worry about it. Maybe your College will be better setup for cooling and overclocking...
that is a tinny problem, my parents don't belive in AC.... bah i say. but i do want to oc' because i spend the extra cash to get some nice oc' equipment such as

IC7-G
pc3500 corsair XMS ram
etc...

so i would really like to be able to oc'

that is the main reason why i was looking at the pelt setup, so i could chill my cpu even more so i could be able to oc' in this hellish temperature out here.

basically what you do with pelts, anyway correct me if i'm wrong.

you get an copper block, then put the pelt between this copperblock and the waterblock and bolt em together untill u get about 100 PSI on the pelt, then put that block onto the cpu, and tighten it down untill you get say 10 PSI or something around that, repeat for the video card, and maybe northbridge chip, the nothbridge chip probably would do just fine with the waterblock not needing the pelt.

now for the um video card i would need somewhere between 80-175watt pelt, then for the cpu, say an nice dagger den potted pelt 226watt.

then i buy two pelt powersupply to power both pelt and stick em into the 5.25 bays, i already am eating 2 up with cdrom/dvd, the lian-li 75 case has 6 bays, i might end up going with the server case for more room who knows, but right now it has 6 bays and 4 are eaten up by powersupply and optical drive, leaving about 2 bays to stick my 10k raptor and an fan or something there, then i will have an 3 bay exterial so i stick my remaining 2 IDE and an floppy drive there and i'm good to go, get rid of the interial 6 drive bay to place my radator and pump etc.

now seriously how complex is it to include pelts in the watercooling setup? and would an regular watercooling setup work just fine with the pelt or would i also need a speical one.

keep in mind i have an budget of about $800-900 dollar to decedate alone to the cooling system.