Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-28-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
lxGhOsTxl
Cooling Neophyte

what is the best placing for fans on a rad?

hey all im new to this forum and i working on my first wc rig,

and i got a n00bs question

first of all my rad is the "black ice extreme 2" (240x120) now i going to mount it to the roof of the case, what will be the best setup for the fans?

above or under the rad and should they suck air or push air?

lxGhOsTxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Default Re: what is the best placing for fans on a rad?

Quote:
Originally posted by lxGhOsTxl
hey all im new to this forum and i working on my first wc rig,

and i got a n00bs question

first of all my rad is the "black ice extreme 2" (240x120) now i going to mount it to the roof of the case, what will be the best setup for the fans?

above or under the rad and should they suck air or push air?

Conventionaly wisdom says that fans at the top 'should' exhaust air from the case, however, this is the hottest air in the case. If you suck hot case air through your rad, your temps will suffer. Either way, I would have the rad below the fans. Just experiment which way (exhausting or sucking in fresh air) gives better temps or if there is a noticable difference.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

Welcome to the forum.

First off do you have a good reason for mounting the radiator to the top of the case? I would advise against it if you have any other options.

It can be very difficult to properly bleed a system if you have the radiator mounted at the top of the case. Also it makes the use of an in-case air trap almost impossible as there will be a higher point in the loop.

If you must mount it at the top of the case you really have two options. If you want the coolant temp to be lower have the radiator sucking in from the top. If you want the system temp to be lower have it blowing out the top.

The convection properties (heat rising) will make the rad hotter than if you had it mounted else where. However because of the convection if you have the fan blowing air out it will increase the over all airflow through your case.

If you want alternate suggestions for mounting places let us know what kind of case you have and post pics if you can, and we can give you some more efficient placements
Unread 06-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
lxGhOsTxl
Cooling Neophyte

ok guys thanks for the usefull tips you realy helped me out!!!

any way the case i got is the cheiftec dragon full tower
the case
i had choosen the roof becouse it is the easeist place to mount it to and the best place to do blowholes....after all this is a big rad....
lxGhOsTxl is offline   Reply With Quote