Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Stupid
Cooling Neophyte

Default Differences between Snap models

A long time ago, Andy made a very informative post about the different Snap models, and what they were (and were not) capable of doing. Either my search-fu is weak or that posting has been lost to the sands of time.

The question that continues to come up (for me anyway) is which models are SaS, IDE or SATA. The price on the older Snap models has pretty much hit rock bottom since RAID servers can be had for a pittance from a variety of sources. Even at the low price, these models are always questionable (at least to me) because many sellers do not include sleds, drives, and OS. With only a limited supply of IDE<->SATA adapters, buying a Snap that only supports impossible to find IDE drives is almost always going to be a bad investment.

The wiki - when it was online - never included data about what kind of drives were used, nor which sleds were interchangable between which models.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: Differences between Snap models

Well, I guess nobody else wants to answer, so I will....

4400 - IDE/PATA
4200 - IDE/PATA
4500 - IDE/PATA
14000 - IDE/PATA
15000 - IDE/PATA

SD10 - IDE/PATA
SD30 - SATA
SD32 - SATA

410 - SATA
510 - SATA
520 - SATA
550 - SATA

Sanbloc S50 - SATA or SAS (can use either)

For the record, I have a Sanbloc S50 with 10k rpm SAS drives, and it frickin' rocks!

Now that is not an all inclusive list, there is an 18000, which if I remember right is SATA, but I could be wrong, I just don't remember. There is also the 110 and 210 but I have never opened one up to look inside. I ass-u-me they are SATA. Then of course there is the 620, 650, and 7xx series, as well as the new N2000 and so forth. I think the 6xx and 7xx series are both SATA, but it is always possible they can do SAS maybe (I have no idea, but I doubt it). Same with the N2000 etc...

Then of course, there is the SATA Adapters that I do for the 4200/4500/15000/SD10. They work great and in many ways these older units can be superior to the newer units IMO. The adapters will also work with a 4400, but the 4400 has much tighter clearances and requires a bit more effort and caution.

There you have it, I hope that helped...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
SaFeHeX
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Differences between Snap models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
Now that is not an all inclusive list, there is an 18000, which if I remember right is SATA, but I could be wrong, I just don't remember. There is also the 110 and 210 but I have never opened one up to look inside.
The 110 & 210 are both SATA, one drive and two drives respectively. They share the same PCB design/layout but the 110 physically doesn't have a second SATA data and power connectors fitted. The CPU is also slightly lower spec on the 110 compared to the 210. RAM is removable/upgradable (Laptop style SODIMM)

The 18000 i am also led to beleive is SATA, (8x drives, 2u rack space) i have seen them for sale advertised as SATA but don't own one to confirm 100%
SaFeHeX is offline   Reply With Quote