Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-15-2004, 06:17 AM   #1
heatwave
Cooling Neophyte

Swiftech MCW50 GPU waterblock - 1/2" whoops?

I was told that this GPU waterblock uses quick connect 1/2" OD tubing.

So I head off and bought some 1/2", 13mm clear PVC tubing from the hardware shop for a trial run.

It doesn't fit the collet as mentioned in the installation manual. It seems its designed for a smaller diameter piping.

But if I take the collet out - the hose fit in quite nicely and tightly without crimping the ends inside the waterblock entrance/exit holes.

Is this safe? It does take considerable pressure to pull it out even without the locking collet.

Did I get the wrong size tubing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collet.jpg (25.8 KB, 62 views)
heatwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

It's safe to do this so long as the tubing is not folding and allowing a leak.

However - you WILL have troubles getting the tubing back out again without the collet. The collet doesn't really lock the tubing, it allows you to "unlock" it.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
heatwave
Cooling Neophyte

Actually its just as hard getting in AND out. The only thing holding the collet in is the size restriction of the hole. I guess only testing will find out
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

wrong size tubing, not recommended
3/8" ID, 1/2"OD is what is needed
barbed adaptors are sold to enable use of the 1/2" ID tubing shown

when it leaks, go look in the mirror
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
heatwave
Cooling Neophyte

Aaahh friggin hell - the tubing is 1/2" ID - BAH!

Gotta get some barbs - will test the circulation *outside* the computer and see how it holds.
Unread 07-15-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

better no leaks than another DIY lash-up
Unread 07-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Do like me and buy a "Fitting: 1/2in. Stem to 1/2in. tube ID hose barb - Part # PI251616S"
http://www.swiftnets.com/store/category.asp?CatID=2

4 bucks
Unread 07-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
Cathar
Thermophile

Forgive me, I was thinking heatwave was talking about something like the difference between 13.0mm OD vs 12.7mm OD (1/2"), where the slightly larger tubing would not fit the collet, but would still be sealed by the O-ring without the collet.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I was kinda surprised, hadn't seen you doing that kind of rigging before.
its cool
Unread 08-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
gotensan01
Cooling Neophyte

Sorry to start up what may be a dead thread but I need help guys. I have a mcw5000 water block and I got the 1/2" stem to 1/2" barb adapter. The problem is that I have no clue how to connect the 1/2" stem (smooth part) to the water block. I thought I could just plug it in but it leaked all crazy style. If anyone has used this before, please help.
gotensan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

sounds like something is missing ?
call Swiftech tech support
Unread 08-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #12
gotensan01
Cooling Neophyte

Well I sent them an email late last night (friday), so I probably won't hear from them til monday. From the pictures I've seen on other people's websites that used the adapter, it seems to be a direct connection. The only thing I can think of is something that may go inside the stem part of the adapter.
Unread 09-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #13
aldamon
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotensan01
Sorry to start up what may be a dead thread but I need help guys. I have a mcw5000 water block and I got the 1/2" stem to 1/2" barb adapter. The problem is that I have no clue how to connect the 1/2" stem (smooth part) to the water block. I thought I could just plug it in but it leaked all crazy style. If anyone has used this before, please help.

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem.
aldamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon
Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem.
same answer
did you call tech support ?
Unread 09-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #15
gotensan01
Cooling Neophyte

You just have to push in the plastic thingy all the way. When i say all the way, i mean give it some force. It has to get through the o-ring to make a tight seal. Only about 1 cm or less of the end that goes into the wb should be showing.
Unread 09-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #16
moreilly
Cooling Neophyte

I have one as well, No problems at all. Just push in the 1/2" stem with a lot of force like gotensan01 said.
moreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

if pushing it in is a problem, put a bit of soap on the tube - then push hard while turning just a bit
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #18
davidzo
Cooling Savant

from the specification for those pushin barbs, it is only allowed to use it with PUR/PUN or Teflon Tube. PVC is not made for pushin connectors, because it is too soft and changes it form easily ->leak
It can work for a long time maybe, but keep in mind that these connectors are nit constructed with pvctubing in mind, so no guarantees on the safeness of this solution.
For example the pvc gets even more flexible within the time and with some warm water in it. Time by time it can slip a little bit out of the holding clamps.
davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
gotensan01
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzo
from the specification for those pushin barbs, it is only allowed to use it with PUR/PUN or Teflon Tube. PVC is not made for pushin connectors, because it is too soft and changes it form easily ->leak
It can work for a long time maybe, but keep in mind that these connectors are nit constructed with pvctubing in mind, so no guarantees on the safeness of this solution.
For example the pvc gets even more flexible within the time and with some warm water in it. Time by time it can slip a little bit out of the holding clamps.
I'm not sure where PVC came into this discussion but all I know is that I purchased Swiftech brand adapters. I wouldn't recommend that people use non-Swiftech brand...especially because the originals are not even expensive.
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #20
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
ah the wonderful world of "what if"
what is your source of information ?
your speculations ?

please cite specific instances

Swiftech has MANY 10s of thousands of these connectors using vinyl tubing with years of service
we are one of the principal users of these fittings in the US
no problems (LEAKS) such as you postulate have occurred

you are full of speculative bull shit
feel free to quote me

EDIT
now I am curious, davidzo
do you have a commercial interest ?
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #21
davidzo
Cooling Savant

don't insult me. I have said nothing against you and it is embarrassing, as you specify yourself here with a simple substantive topic.
I have no reason to answer you.

Here is the website of the Developer of the qick connections, so you can check it yourself:
http://www.legris.com/legris/en_en/h.../vuid/HomePage

Vinyl tubes are not general PVC Tubes from the hardwareshop. Tubes as the famous Tygon use are mixed with hardeners and have a much bigger wall thickness as normal PVC tubes.
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #22
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

I am not concerned with what you say about me, I am a known entity (good and/or bad)

but when you spout crap I WILL hand you a BULL SHIT card

read this thread, it is about the connections in some Swiftech components, made by John Guest (UK)
so anything you say should be related to those parts (or you could say: 'hey, this other mfgr says . . . . ')

do you know what a tubing insert is for ?
I repeat, you are uninformed and spouting nonsense (does not apply to the components being discussed)

if you have no reason to answer me, why post ?

and I repeat: do you have a commercial interest ?
I smell a vested interest in a competitive vendor ??
anyone know this fellow ?
Unread 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #23
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Here is the website of the Developer of the qick connections, so you can check it yourself:
http://www.legris.com/legris/en_en/h.../vuid/HomePage
AFAIK, those are not Legris fittings, but are John Guest "Speedfit" fittings . My only issue with the speedfit-to-barb adapters is that they have a smaller ID than I like. I have used short sections of copper tubing as speedfit-to-barb adapters (even got the local radiator shop to "bead" a couple for me to get a really good fit where the flexible tubing goes over the copper tubing). I also got a couple made with "radiused" bends (and beaded) as I was putting a swiftech block in what was approximately a 2U case and had concerns with how restrictive the JohnGuest 90 degree adapters appeared to be (looked like milled elbows). Note that I use Eheim 1046 pumps a lot and so am always looking for ways to "finesse" water flow rather than relying on "brute force". Wish I'd taken some pictures before I'd handed that one off to a customer.
Finally, I really like the way the JG Speedfits allow tubing to rotate. Removing rotational torque from your hoses means one less force trying to pry the waterblock off the CPU - IMHO a good thing.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #24
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

the ID and sweep elbows of copper are always preferred (how I used to connect the MCW5000)
but that's a DIY thing

EDIT: gee Bob, I never looked at the link
now I'm the dummy
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #25
davidzo
Cooling Savant

legris invented this type of fittingst. But there are thousands of other manufacturers produce fittings similar to this ones (i actually don't like the appearance of the speedfits very much). Only to give some names: Landefeld, Timmer, IQS, Legris, CPT Pneumatik etc.

I actually read a few sites on this topic, because i have only known pur/pun tubing for qick connects. Thats what is normally used in the industry, especially with smaller fittings.
Swiftech uses hardened PVC Tubes, which are different to those you can get in a simple hardwarestore. Thats only possible because of the very thick wand of this tubes, which is not the case with normal aquarium pvctubing!
I have some 14mm pushin connectors (from metal) here, so i know what im talking (can take some photos if you want) and tried to use it with 14*2 Rauclair E tubing from my hardware store and had a leakage after one day and the clamps inside the fittings didn't had enough grip to hold the tube.
I can believe that it could work with some stiffer tubing, but i know any other company than swiftech which uses pvc for quick connectors. Even the company John guest itself don't sell them with PVC tube. The rotating mechanism of the fittings is also a very nice feature preventing the hose to squeeze (and leak) because of rotational torque.

@BillA: I know you a little, and i have read many tests you have written, but I am heavily surprised, that you are a so impudently and unfriendly guy.
I know what a tubing insert ist for, and i bet that i had more different quick connectors in my hand in this live than you, sorry but you don't know my circumstances, so don't be rude.

I have no commercial Interests, if you look a little bit to the right you would have seen that i am from Hamburg and with a little intelligence you can easily guess, that i would be aware of shipping things for horrible costs to USA or anywere LOL
Second thing is, that makes your question really silly, that you can't change the fittings of the swiffie, because there is no Thread in the block. So why should i make some advertisement for really no reason?
Please don't flame at me fpr no reason, thats what children can make in their pleyground, but this is a serious Forum with substantive Diskussion, there is no space for flaming.