Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

View Poll Results: What WC disasters have you had?
*Never* Had a problem 85 31.02%
Pump leak or total pump failure 63 22.99%
Block SLOW leak (drip, drip, drip) 48 17.52%
Block total failure (FLOOD!) 12 4.38%
Hose / barb SLOW leak (drip, drip, drip) 72 26.28%
Hose / barb BLOW OFF or Hose rupture (FLOOD!) 14 5.11%
Radiator leak or blockage 10 3.65%
CPU / Block separation 11 4.01%
Radiator Fan failure 13 4.74%
Other problem not described 55 20.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #1
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

What kind of WC disasters have you had?

I've been involved in a thread about disaster management for a while, and one of the things we don't seem to have is a collection of data about just what kind of 'disasters' people experience with their WC systems.

I define a WC disaster as a malfunction in the WC system that could (or should) have resulted in permanent damage to the hardware. I want to see what kind of problems people actually encounter, what sorts of protective measures you use, and how effective they are.

Please check the box for the type of problem you've had, and then tell your tale of woe. What happenned? What caused it (if you can figure that out)? If a particular component failed, what kind / brand was it? What kind of damage did you experience? What did you do to protect against this kind of problem, and did it work? Is there something you should have done differently to have prevented the problem? Anything else you think is relevant?

This survey is primarily aimed at WC issues, I'm not particularly interested in pelt, HSF, or other non-WC failures, unless they were caused by WC problems, or caused WC problems.

Who knows, if we get enough responses to be meaningful, it might be possible to make this into a sticky, or turn it into a 'disaster prevention' article.
Unread 07-07-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
Cova
Cooling Savant

I voted total pump failure - but take that in a "I forgot to plug it in and so it wasn't working" failure type of way. As I explained in your other thread, no damage to any part of the system - it even ran stable for 5 or 10 minutes while the block and whatever coolant was inside it at the time heated up. Once those were hot though it didn't run very long at all (wouldn't finish booting).

I've also played with rad-fan failure. Actually, I recommend more people experiment with this, if you keep an eye on it you're plenty safe. It takes a CPU a long time to warm up the entire mass of coolant circulating in your system, and the rad still passively dissipates some heat. Turn off / unplug your rad-fan and watch your temps. Try it while idle/under load (I can run forever with no fan at idle). See how long it takes for temps to go up 10C or so. Most of you probably last a lot longer than me with no fan as I don't have a res so I don't have much coolant-volume-buffer to heat up before I crash/need to turn the fan back on.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #3
golovko
Cooling Savant

disasters, ok lets see...

- when i had a bong, my pump came disconected from the outflow tube and stopped pumping water through my system...system overheated and shut down.

- when i had a bong system ran out of water several times, system overheated and shut down.

- My BIX ruptured in two places and water leaked all over my system claiming the life of my geforce3 (smoke poured out from it)

- The seal on my mag drive 3 broke when a metal fitting became corroded.

- The plexi top on my orginal Maze3 spider cracked then completely snapped and leaked water over motherboard and video card, claimed the life of my first A7N8X.

- I've knocked out several breakers fooling around with the wiring for my pumps as well.

The main thing I've learned about watercooling thus far is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it....and right now my system is running better than ever.
golovko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
winewood
Cooling Savant

MAN! Your a poster child for aircooling. LOL

I have only had leaks that were due to stupid assembly and lack of leak testing on my part. It is amazing how much water a mobo and graphics card can take on and still work.
Unread 07-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #5
hara
Cooling Savant

I once blew in one of the pipes. I thought I had the res open but instead I didn't.

Result: Super Wet western digital 1200JB

Still works
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
N8
Cooling Neophyte

Once I had the coolant (water + antifreeze) freeze up in the tubes. Not enough antifreeze obviously, and flow stopped. The pump made a bunch of weird noises as pressure built up. This was with -15C coolant.

Another time I froze my BP6 dual CPU setup so hard that the sockets and everything one inch around the sockets froze. Capacitors and all had a nice thick frost layer on them. This was with the sub-freezing coolant and dual peltiers. Took a couple of days to dry it all out, but it still worked.

I have also had lots of condensation drips off of tubing, but I was prepared for most of those.
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

Generally the annoying drips... worst part about that is even with nothing seriously going wrong and a towel there to saok it up... was having to top up the system every 4 hours or my liquid started "foaming" resulting in a rise of temperatures.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #8
Prlwytkovsky
Cooling Neophyte

I had one of the first Koolance systems, the one with the big aluminum resevoir / heatsink on the bottom of the case but without the watercooled power supply.

The pump in the resevoir was a cheap fountain pump. I had two of them die on me. The first (original) pump had a burned trough coil. It was completely dead. The second pump had its impeller catch something in the housing and stopped turning. My guess is that the resistance of the narrow water hoses is too much for these pumps to perform properly.

Also the power supply died. The only part of this case that is of some quality is the resevoir / heatsink. Totally useless though because a regular heatercore is much better / lighter / smaller. I will never buy a Koolance product again. Wasted $350 on that piece of crap.
Prlwytkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #9
babyeater
Cooling Neophyte

Had me epoxy on me plexi lid melt as me brother forgot to turn on the pump. Dried everything out beside the fire and it worked grand again.
Also was taking me Pc home from a lan and it got banged about a bit and i had another leak . Dried it out at the fire and it was alright.
babyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #10
FRAGN'STIEN
Cooling Savant

None I've been WCing for over a year and not a single misshap.
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
sevisehda
Cooling Savant

One time during chem lab my friends and I were discussing how low my CPU temps were compared to there Dells. Well the idea of seeing how low I could push it came up. The result was us pouring about 4 gallons of finely chrushed ice into my bong. I had condensation on every part of the loop. Took me a few hours to clean up the mess but luckily everything worked fine afterwards.
sevisehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #12
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

I had the user, malfunction on me a couple of times...and I kick his sorry little ass every time, but it does not seem to help much...
Unread 07-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I've only run my Little Giant pump in a test loop, but I believe that it was sucking air in. Still gotta figure that one out...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:19 PM   #14
joemac
Cooling Savant

I had a fan failure (Ok I forgot to connect it). The block was being used with a T.E.C. It got to the point where the water could no longer carry heat away from the T.E.C. The T.E.C failed and started to over heat. The thing became so hot it melted the solder off the water block. The C.P.U was fried and the socket melted. The funny thing was that I replaced the C.P.U and used air cooling and the system started like nothing had happen. Those sockets are a lot more robust than they appear. I was using a power supply that is capable of putting out 40 amps at 16 V combine this with the system running with no fan for over 24 hrs, and now I get to post in this thread. Before the melt down I was producing ice like old man winter very cool stuff (no pun intended).
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #15
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Same as FRAGN'STIEN, none for a year of wc'ing. Must be cos' of the use of the #Rotor's blocks, seems that systems like 'em
Unread 07-11-2003, 02:20 PM   #16
MMZ_TimeLord
Cooling Savant

Only one failure and no damage from it.

I was playing a game online and suddenly my MBM5 alarm went off... I shut down the game and look at the temps... they were well above the "norm" on my machine. :shrug: I shut it down.

Opened the system and the pump was still running (separate power cord) but I had NO FLOW!

Further investigation showed that the submerged pump I was using was fine, but the hose connecting it to the "out" barb on my reservior was ruptured.

I found that the tubing I had been using (medical tubing, tan color, same stuff they use for tornequets, sp?) was deteriorating with submersion in water faster than the rest of the tubing.

It turns out that stuff is made out of almost the same compound as rubber bands (tan ones) and so was subject to the same deterioration.

Bottom line... bad planning on my part. I've had vinyl tubing ever since and have had NO problems at all.

"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"
MMZ_TimeLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 03:46 PM   #17
pakman
Cooling Neophyte

slow drips...

1) cracked danger den reservoir (old version) mounted above my CD drives... fortunately I had put a piece of foam underneath it which caught the slow drip. Guess I tightened the barbs too much... since then, switched to "T" fill setup.

2) cracked via 1300 pump intake. again, overtightening barb caused this. Very slow leak (drips would dry out by morning...). solution: JB welded entire intake section of the pump... Pump sits at the bottom of case w/ foam so again, no major meltdown...
pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #18
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

voted small drips. i was so lucky that the drips were so minor that they evaporated before dripping on components. this was entirely my fault and wouldn't happen when buying a manufactured block from a retailer.
Unread 07-13-2003, 05:16 PM   #19
cyr
Cooling Neophyte

I've only had problems with my old system (that I had about 4 years ago, peltier cooling my Celeron 300A).

Water often dripped from the block (which was nothing more than some pieces of plastic glued to a celeron heatsink). VGA, sound, network, tv tuner and motherboard all got splashed at one time or another but they all still work... The CPU itself (slot1) got pretty wet too, and while the PCB looks really bad in places it still works just fine. I have it running 24/7 in a SMP setup in my server.

I guess they don't build them like they used to
cyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #20
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

You need to have a choice for hose collapse. That is the truly silent killer if you use crap tubing (I lost a sweet pump that way).
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #21
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

hose on NB leaked and fried my few month old video card,
Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 7200rpm ata133 & 60 MAXTOR ata100@5400rpm
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW
SoundBlaster 5.1 w/ logitech Xtrusio DSR100 speakers
Case: Enlight 7237
lukasz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #22
ndtinker
Cooling Neophyte

I had a slow leak out of a fitting that went between 2 different hose sizes that dripped water all over the top of my 9700 for about 24hrs until I noticed it, while it was on, but suprisingly nothing ever happened. I've also had a small drip from my pump intake housing that was slow enough it would evaporate before getting anywhere, but after a LAN or two, it got bigger and bigger until the entire bottom of my case was flooded and started spilling out onto the floor. It completely soaked the foam pad stuck to my pump relay and nearly touched the contacts. If I hadn't put my foot in the water that spilled out, I probably would be a very unhappy dude right now. I also keep my relay at least an inch off the floor now.

I had also gotten a bay-res and had taken out the angled barbs to put in straight ones, but ended up using them anyway and since they fit so tightly I didn't think they would need any sealant - wrong! Another slow leak, again fixed with Plumbers Goop.

I've encased the entire front housing of the pump (a Danner) in Plumbers Goop, as well as gone completely to 1/2 fittings all around so I could get rid of the converters and am leak free.

Jackson, TN's ONLY LAN Group
http://www.jacksongamingleague.com
ndtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2003, 06:00 PM   #23
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Gooserider

Are we seeing a pattern in most of the replies here?? like I'd indicated in your disaster thread, user error in one form or another seems to be the most common factor from what I've seen here and generally.

This was part of the reason I made an idiot proof system to ensure the pump must be plugged in, powered & monitoring flow once it is.

Been water-cooling about 2½ years now and no leaks or disasters YET. The only mishap was when I refilled the system once and had forgot to re-connect a festo fitting, I paid for that little oversight with a hair dryer & blow gun, but the system as always was completely de-powered before I work on it........ so it was just an inconvenience really.

I'm now pretty "confident" in my block making and system set-up, and I really don't think too much about leaks anymore, this complacency is natural I guess, but dangerous, however I accept sooner or later I will have, or cause a disaster. Can't ever see myself going back to air-cooling though whatever mistakes I may make with water-cooling in the future.

I think the key is to work in a logical fashion, and not be tempted to rush stuff. If something isn't right, re-do it properly, never be tempted to bodge for now, as the bodge will stay as a bodge until it fails. You'll then have to sort it out when you replace the hardware it took with it when it failed.
Unread 07-19-2003, 02:02 AM   #24
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

Lots of interesting patterns

Quote:
BladeRunner: Are we seeing a pattern in most of the replies here?? like I'd indicated in your disaster thread, user error in one form or another seems to be the most common factor from what I've seen here and generally.
Yes BR, I'm seeing lots of patterns including the UE that you mentioned (whether the immediate cause, or a design failure that occurred later)

I'm very glad that I put this survey up, I think that it's a useful collection of information that shows lots of things BESIDES the somewhat expected User Error. (I've been watching the replies as they came in, but not commenting as I didn't want to skew the results....)

Slow leaks from various places seem to be the biggest class of problems, but there don't seem to be many major floods. Arguably this is the class with the fewest direct UE's as direct cause, though most could be argued as UE indirectly.

Somewhat to my surprise, pumps seemed to be another major problem area. Some problems were direct UE (didn't turn on) but there also were more pump functional failures than I would have expected. (makes me glad I got an Iwaki)

I didn't like seeing all the 'Other' responses, but it seems to me like most of those were related to radical cooling failures, which I had deliberately not included.

I also decided to allow multiple choice responses, which may have been a bad choice on my part, though I thought it was best at the time I did the poll. It is interesting to note that 'never had a problem' and any of the major 'had problem' responses total to more than the number of messages in the thread... Guess this means there were voters who didn't leave messages, or possibly someone's fibbing...

I hope this survey either gets made into a sticky, or an article is created from it, as it taught me things that I haven't seen expressed elsewhere, namely the types of things that actually DO go wrong (Note that we have only had one (so far at least) CPU / Block separation, which wasn't talked about. This was one of the things I had feared most, but now feel much less worried about.)

Indeed most of the things I mentioned didn't get much response, especially the more dramatic failures. Pumps seem to go out or not get turned on alot (which shows the need to have a fail safe to ensure they are turned on, and the flow monitored) and we have lots of slow drippy leaks, which seem to be hard to catch, but not do a great deal of expensive damage otherwise. (shows need for good sealing and clamping practices)

Gooserider
Unread 07-19-2003, 04:33 AM   #25
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

I suppose it depends on how you view it, but to me the majority of the above descriptions indicate user error of some type or form. Leaks from tube to barb joins are user error in my opinion, because if they are done right they will not leak. A non user error would be if the tube actually split, but I'd consider this user error also if it were either the wrong type, bad fitting or cheap tube. For instance if I got a leak at one of the festo fittings because I didn't push it all the way in and pull it out to grip as designed, then that would be my user error, not a simple drip leak fault as such.

Again the drip type leaks are avoided using quality tube that is smaller than the barb, (but keeping the ID the same throughout). There are product faults like real pump & block failures, but these are rare and can be partially linked to user error for choosing cheap products, or ones that are maybe not the best suited.

Its hard to categorise every happing, but maybe to be of real world use your poll should distinguish between real pump failure and the usual user error induced "not turning it on". My guess is the majority of that vote % on pump failure is actually user error, but that wouldn't be obvious to someone just looking at the poll.

Last edited by BladeRunner; 07-19-2003 at 04:45 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote