Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #26
ozzy7750
Cooling Neophyte

To be honest, you are looking at it with a pretty closed mind zoson.

I have built one myself, in more of a tower configuration so that it can go on the corner of my desk. It only takes up about 30cm x 25 cm on my desk. It holds about 35L of water, but being in a tower it needs filling more regularly as otherwise the performance is degraded with an increase in head. So I fill mine every two weeks or so, with normal tap water. It can run compelely passive for days and days on end, the water simple never heats up.

IMHO there is absolutely no point in runing distilled water in a closed loop or open look system. In about 1 minute, the water wil pick up ions from the copper, becoming ionized again, hence there is little benefit.

Could you please post a pic of your internal setup? I havent seen a radiator that has been able to maintain ambients that is kept internal. You must have done a very good job with the ducting
ozzy7750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 03:00 AM   #27
Volenti
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by debay777
volenti, would it be possible to make a single or even a multi pipe system that takes up lets say a footprint of around 12 inches or less and is maybe 2 feet tall or so. almost like one of those little desk top fountains where the water bubbles up just enough to come over the top and roll down the sides of the pipes except its made to cool the PC? its worth thinking about.
Oh for sure, if you look at a setup that uses around the same area as the side of the case and about 1-2'' wide, that would be anough area for a more dense array of overflow pipes or even an array of flat panels, this would require forced airflow of course but a single low speed 12cm or 2x 8cm fans would be sufficient.

There's 2 main issues with an intergrated or internal evaporative system, one is water storage, the other is safety.

Water storage can be worked around by having a small internal res in the case (for moving, lans ect) that has a detachable link (by gravity feed) to a larger external res.

Safety issues really preclude having any active evaporating parts inside the case, water spillage, corrosion ect. Hence the evaporator it's self needs to be external, though it can still be a "part" of the case.
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #28
debay777
Cooling Neophyte

let me know if my thinking is wrong. if i take an open toped res. of about 8 inches in diameter by lets say 10 inches tall and run a single 4 inch verticle pipe or some sort of tube( or maybe a small cluster of 1 inch pipes) straight up for total of about ...lets say 2 feet. and have just enough pressure to cause the water to run out and spill down the sides of the pipes back down into the res., would that provide enough cooling. the entire verticle pipe(s) would be heated by the water, then as the water spills over the sides in a thin sheet it would shed its own heat out into the air as well as transfering the heat off the sides of the pipe. double cooling. probelms i see are: haveing a strong enough pump may be impossible to keep quiet, there may not be enough flow to make it work, and there may just not be enough water ther to do the job. maybe a bigger res. and then use the multiple smaller pipes to reduce the amount of lifet the pump has to do. talk to me.
debay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #29
Volenti
Cooling Savant

The pipe/s would need to be covered with chux or similar to mantain an even flow down the sides (and prevent water noise)

I'm not sure if that amount of surface area would provide sufficient cooling in still air, some low speed forced air may still be needed, it's something that would need to be tested.

The height shouldn't be an issue, it makes no difference to the pump if it pushing up a 1'' dia column of water or a 1' dia column, only the vertical height matters and 2' isn't a problem for any pump that is suitable for pc water cooling.
Unread 12-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #30
187(V)URD@
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Simple,easy to make, silent, evaporative cooling

pics are gone
187(V)URD@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #31
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Default holy thread revival batman.

hmmm.
i have the "finished product" pictures, not the "making of" :

Use Volenti's text to understand what was done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volenti setup 1.jpg (39.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Volenti setup 2.jpg (41.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Volenti setup 3.jpg (39.6 KB, 39 views)
Unread 12-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #32
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

... or, go ghetto. Ok more ghetto than usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghetto Bong.jpg (46.0 KB, 49 views)
Unread 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #33
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Default Re: holy thread revival batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraMex
hmmm.
i have the "finished product" pictures, not the "making of" :

Use Volenti's text to understand what was done.
nice heatsinks on the iwaki ... any idea what the white material is? (between them and the pump.. seem to be held on with zip-ties so presumably not adhesive...)
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #34
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

probably a heavy dose of thermal paste.
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #35
Drago
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, Ive been toying with the idea of puting say a heater core into one of those 12pack sized Ice Coolers. Just drill thru the cooler, put your IO hoses thru with some Silicone Adhesive. Then just put half a dozen trays of Ice in there along with some water to make sure all that cold gets into the fin area of the radiator and Voila!! Super Cooling and all you have to do is drop some water and Ice in once a day. To be serious there would be alot more details to make it work well and you would have to put the Ice in like brushing your teeth every day, but hey, I love my computer.
Anyway, these are great, thoughtful, examples of innovation. I enjoyed the read.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote