Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-06-2003, 03:20 AM   #51
[GiB] spawny
Cooling Neophyte

Default The Pump

I luv anything water-cooled and yours is great

A pump question?

Have you used two different hose sizes? and why?

Wouldn't it have been easier to have kept them the same?

ANy chnace of a close up as I've got one of these coming and just wanted to see it in the flesh

Water cooling is a step forward not a leap of faith.
[GiB] spawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #52
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Man, you had to dig deep to find this !

Thanx, this was my first attempt to wc'ing, and it still lives (had several block changes, but rest is the same)

I used two diff dia hoses, on the pump inlet is 16 mm ID tube (it was easier to stretch the hose on the pump inlet that is 19 mm OD), and the rest of the system is 12 mm ID. I actually managed to heat and stretch 12 mm ID pvc tubing on the inlet, but it looked...at least not nice, nor safe.

I got some more pics, what part exactly are you interested in?

Welcome to the forums!

Cheers!
Unread 06-06-2003, 04:04 AM   #53
[GiB] spawny
Cooling Neophyte

The pump is my main interest as I have managed to snag one on the cheap but not many images around

I'm using a 1/2" system and wondered what additional hardware I might need in order to get this pump up and running

Also how long has the pump been running and have you any heat issues that it's not submersed.

I post on many other forums, but I'm finally getting my system up and running!

Unread 06-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #54
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Think that you don't need anything special to add, just put the hose on the pump inlet and outlet, secure it with metal clamp (or plastic zip tie, but I don't trust them), be careful not to tighten the clamps too much, you don't want to damage the hose, but tighten 'em good enuff.
Depending on the pump inlet dia and the pump manufacturer, maybe you can find additional piece to reduce the inlet to fit 12 mm ID of the tube, I couldn't so I used bigger dia tube.

I'm completely satisfied with this little pump, it runs quiet and reliable 24/7 since I made this rig (last july), and with (my first block) more restrictive blocks, the pump run a little louder and warmer, though now with #Rotor style block it runs quiet and - cannot say cold, but cool enough. Not hot in any case.

I couldn't find some good pics of the pump, I'll try to dig on some of my backup cd's more.

Good luck with your new system, and
welcome to the addicted
Unread 06-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #55
[GiB] spawny
Cooling Neophyte

I have two blocks to try:

1. Maze 2 (old but good)
2. Spir@l Poly top (new but scary)

I will chop and change to see which suits better and will post some pictures when it's all done.

I have some on my own forum but won't pimp so you have to find them for yourself. Hint* Project Logs

Thanks for the time in answering my questions

Unread 06-07-2003, 04:34 PM   #56
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

NP, you're welcome!

I'll follow that hint

/edit:

just did. Congrats on the res, I really like the idea and the look of it mounted.

Keep on!

Last edited by Puzzdre; 06-07-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Puzzdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 01:02 AM   #57
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Default Good IDEA! !

Puzzdre,

A very, very nice flow indicator.

But to me the location of your rad is even better. I've been thinking of placing the rad on the floor of the case for my next build to take advantage of the coolest air near the floor & drive the air flow pattern upwards through the case interior. I was even thinking of a built up base to hold to fans outside the case floor along with some filters.

But it never came to me to place the whole rad under the floor as you have. Much better and saves a good deal of room inside. It will require a taller base than I'd pictured, but that's no problem to do. Thanks for posting this. Reading this has solved several possible problems I was forseeing.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 05:02 AM   #58
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thx Blackeagle!

The rad is mounted like this mainly for a reason that I was complete noob and bought the first thing I saw that wasn't damaged in the scrapyard.
The rad mounted this way has some flaws, first, dust collecting, I made the fans pull the air through the 1/2 opening between the comp case and the rad, but that's choking it. Another flaw is shroud that is approx 10 mm thin.
I have found bigger legs, but didn't like the looks of the whole rig when mounted on them.

I was thinking of cutting a half of another mini tower case and placing the rad and the fans inside it, than mount my case on it, but didn't work too much on it (for now )

Just make sure to give the rad and the fans enough breathin space.

Cheers!