Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

Default The New Unified Gos 6.5.023

Gos 6.5.023
The New Unified Gos 6.5.023 is here (has been for a little while) but it is only for the N2000, 410 210, 110, 6x0, 5x0, the update procedure is through the GUI and you must be to at least GOS 5 to update to GOS 6.5. - allways go off the release note considerations before updating.

Snap 4x00 and 1x000 units.
The Maximum GOS that can go onto a 4x00 and 1x000 units is GOS 5.2.067.

This is very disappointing for me as I am sure it will be for many on this forum but these units are generally 5+ years old now and as we know things are always going to be changing in IT even for storage units that last for 10 years*** and continuing support for all the older units and all the new units together; i.e. for 7-8 hardware platforms in total would become increasingly more difficult moving forward.
*** My Snap2000 is still chugging away even though its 10/100 network connection makes it basically useless but it does look good on a shelf plugged in and ready to go along with a bunch of 2200’s 4000’s & 4100’s…

3TB Drives
Are sure to be added shortly in the newer format units (N2000, 410 210) so unless support for 3TB drives had already put into any GOS version older than or including GOS 5.2.067 (and I doubt it was) 3TB HDD's may not ever be supported for the older 4x00 and 1x000 units.

NetVault
Due to a change in ownership the free Bakbone NetVault Software has also been discontinued in the release before GOS 5.2.067 but it can be purchased separately and loaded so can a new version of Backup Exec. - see the Config Guides as they have all the latest details on support for a bunch of backup platforms.

Software Maintenance is no longer available
Unfortunately SM has been discontinued so it’s back to hardware warranty extensions if you want the latest versions of GOS.
The cheapest way to get it is to get your unit registered and buy it with a credit card through the Overland Storage Support Portal.

Please do not ask me for the latest versions of GOS, as much as I would like to I cannot and will not share it with anyone no matter what.
Bribery offers are always nice but it will be cheaper for you to just by the hardware warranty extension as no bribe could replace my salary.

I trust you will all understand but still please do not ask - (unless you are Claudia Schiffxer, Serinxa Williamxs, or Jessica Albxa and you need GOS bad enough, I am sure we can come to some kind of arrangement.... Mmmmmm {Homer moan!})

Max.

Last edited by Max8; 08-18-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: grammer correction
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default Re: The New Unified Gos 6.5.023

Matt, what makes GOS v6.x worth doing?

I looked into it a little bit (I admit not much), and it just didn't look like it was worth much past the 3TB drivs later on. Please elaborate in detail.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Max8
Cooling Neophyte

As it is a business grade product, most of the changes are more aimed at capturing the attention of the business users.

For the detail of the release notes go to the release announcement ore Google; GuardianOS_6_5_023-Product_Information_Bulletin-March_2011-r1.pdf
Or try this link; http://support.overlandstorage.com/j...earchPage=true

I’m not 100% sure support for 3TB is in there yet, the significant point I was making was that for the older units it won’t matter.
Max8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
kearmith
Cooling Neophyte

Hey group:

For my buisness, ths most important thing about this OS is:

WINDOW SERVER 2008 R2 edition as domain controler and DHCP server.

This version of windows server come with a higher security level than 2000 and 2003.

This is why Guardian OS holder of this version can't communicate with the domain controler to get permission list

I'm running 2 IBM x3250 in redundancy (domain controler and DHCP server).

3 others IBM , 2 snap 520 and 1 clone as a library

We have replace our domain controler and DHCP server this summer and after this, it was impossible the access to our SNAP.

For me; Here the most important thing about this OS

PS: sorry for my bad english
kearmith is offline   Reply With Quote