Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 11-15-2002, 03:00 AM   #1
koslov
Cooling Savant

Default 115VAC / 230VAC Converter

Uh... I think I just bought a massive AC/DC power supply . Only prob is that it's 230V. And no, I'm not unplugging the washing machine to power it. So I was looking for some AC/AC converters to get 230V from a regular 115V power outlet.

I found this: http://www.grandview.com.hk/product/e/ac_ac.htm . That looks perfect... but it's made in Hong Kong. After an hour of google-ing, my search for a reseller was fruitless. So I either need to find a similar converter or figure out who sells these things in the US.

Or... would it be possible just to run the power supply straight from 115V? I only need 1/3 or so of the max output, so if the output amperage is compromised, I can deal with it.

If any EE's or other electrically savvy people could help me with this, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

PS: If you are wondering why the hell this is in the pelt forum, just guess what I want to power with that monster.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
mo
Cooling Savant

Items like that are usually readily available in electronics stores... also electronic repair shops will often carry them.

Many people who move to the states from the east for example will bring their electronics with them which are all 230V...
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
koslov
Cooling Savant

Damn, lost the auction. Thanks for the info anyway, maybe I'll buy the next one that comes up. I thought I would have the high bid, but alas, someone wanted it more.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 06:31 AM   #4
punish3r
Cooling Neophyte

koslov, if you're even mildly proficient with a pair of needle nose and are somewhat confident in your ability to handle copper wire, just build what you need. The majority of the GOOD high-power (20A+) 115V/230V converters are just beefy ass transformers. Basically, two coils of wire. Yes, there's more to it than that, but with a bit of research (less than a day's worth) you could prolly find yourself a decent size ferrite core, some heavy gauge enameled solid copper wire, and the instructions on what to do with them to render yourself a good step-up transformer. Now, the big question is, would you have done all this for naught if the wiring in your house can't handle it?

Standard wallplug = 115v @ 15A (Breaker current) = 1725W

Your PS (assuming submodel 24) 24v @ 41.6A = 998.4W out of a 1000W rated unit.

So if the output is 998.4W @ 87% efficiency, your total (approx) power drain on the input circuit would be right under 1150W (1147 and change, but who's counting)

Assuming standard insulation thickness on your wires, etc, etc Yeah, it would work. Just don't go plugging anything else into that other plug on the faceplate (unless it's individually circuited too) also remember that your unit it fused at 10A on the incoming line, so if you're stepping up to 230v your total available power sink before fuse destruction is 2300W. There's also the 8ms, 230v @ 40A inrush at power-on. But hey, unless you're running some ultra specialty shit in your breaker box, it shouldn't trip (regularly). Or you could install a special high amp run with a 30A breaker, or feed it off two seperate breakers, or, or, or...
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by punish3r; 11-30-2002 at 07:12 PM.
punish3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 01:38 AM   #5
nOv1c3
Crazy Stupid

Gives these guys a look

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...480&type=store
nOv1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Alchemy
Cooling Savant

While we're at it, why don't we just perform heart surgery on ourselves.

Jesus Christ, don't tell people to build these sorts of things without making it abundantly clear how dangerous this is. Yeah, inductors are pretty simple, but when you're working with house current, it doesn't take much to start a fire, completely destroy an appendage, or kill yourself. Odds aren't particularly great that the house breakers will trip *before* any of these things happen.

Maybe you're experienced enough to do this sort of work, and maybe koslov is too, but plenty of people reading this are not, and may be led to believe this is less dangerous than it really is.

Alchemy
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 11:54 AM   #7
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Gotta agree with Alchemy.

You might convince yourself that you know what you're doing with a day of googling.

You'd most likely be wrong, and being wrong could be very dangerous.

Ferrite cores are not used in transformers for 60 Hz power.

There's no way you're going to design an effective step up transformer with ferrite cores. There is a fair likelihood you'd start a fire though.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 12:29 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here here. I can't believe I missed this one.

If you want to step down 220, you must use a comercially available solution. It'll all be tested (UL, etc...) so you know it won't fail or cause a fire.

I spent 1 year in college, in electronics, so I wouldn't hesitate to build my own PSU, but even I've zapped myself numerous times.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 09:11 PM   #9
iroc409
Cooling Savant

dontcha hate it when you're reparing a laptop power converter and you turn it on to test the thing with the case off, decide you need to pick it up, and accidently grab on one of the coil-looking thingies? (not the transformer). it feels funny

i guess i never got far enough in EE to know before hand that those things can shock you ;P
iroc409 is offline   Reply With Quote