Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Default Estimate my GPM

Can someone estimate the GPM I will be getting through my CPU waterblock? I want to be able to determine the best waterblock using the waterblock comparator over at ProCooling.

Here's the setup I'm in the midst of putting together:

Iwaki MD-30RZT Pump (60HZ)
2-342 Rad
Criticool Waterplant Res
1/2''ID tubing from external box next to case
Maze4GPU Block

Any estimates would be phenomenal.
Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Doubt anyone knows. Not enough data available to make an estimation. With that pump however your going to get pretty high flow rates no matter what is in the loop. The MCW60000/2 is probably the best fail safe bet.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

2.5GPM (rough estimate)
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It simple (not really!)

Add the pressure drop curve of the water block, to that of the radiator. Then, overlay the pump's PQ curve, and the intersect will give you your expected flow.

Very rough, because it doesn't account for tube and fitting restrictions, but bet a smidge lower.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
It simple (not really!)

Add the pressure drop curve of the water block,
Which is?
Quote:
to that of the radiator.
Which is?
Quote:
Then, overlay the pump's PQ curve,
Which is?

Let's not forget this either: Criticool Waterplant Res

And let's not forget the actual CPU block in question: N/A

Remember he asked the flow through his CPU WATER BLOCK. The block which hasn't been choosen yet. It would seem to me the block would have a pretty serious effect on this equation and being that block is not selected the imformation isn't available. So how one could come up with any sort of "number" is beyond me when all the important variables are not known.

AA, you threw out that number, are you telling me a Cascade or White Water would have roughly the same flow as a Maze 4? Must be if you can state this number?

Anyway carry on.
Unread 07-18-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

No I assumed he would use a decent block. Most people with high end Iwakis use blocks that don't suck. I'd call it a fair generalization, although this person may differ.
Unread 07-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #7
Moony
Cooling Neophyte

Well I could very easily graph an equation incorporating all of the variables bigben2k mentioned and then just sub in the pressure drop of different water blocks. So, where can I find the pressure drop on a 2-342, and how can I estimate the pressure drop per foot of tubing?
Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
Glitch
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Well I could very easily graph an equation incorporating all of the variables bigben2k mentioned and then just sub in the pressure drop of different water blocks. So, where can I find the pressure drop on a 2-342, and how can I estimate the pressure drop per foot of tubing?
i wouldn't worry about finding out the pressure drop due to your tubing, due to the fact it will be very slight. also just trying to take into the pressure drop due to the tubing won't factor in the pressure drop due to elbow bents, possible kinks etc.

you will only be able to find a general flow.. possibly to .5lpm.
Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #9
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

10" for tubing and radiator, approximately? Rads are around 4" and straight 1/2" tubing is 3" per 5 feet.
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

In any event you can run the the most restrictive high performing block on the planet and still easily get away with a north bridge and GPU block. I don't think you need to waste your time on pressure drops.
Unread 07-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Very little data is available, unfortunately. The only source we have is Bill's work, in his radiator roundup on OC, and what he's posted here.

I've been in discussion with other fellow WBTA members, and we've been kicking around the idea of a measuring kit that could be passed around, and collect some data on all cores used. If anyone's interested, drop me an e-mail, or check out the WBTA Forums. It needs more kicking...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote