Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-11-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
kontkommer
Cooling Neophyte

Default pump inside reservoir?

hey guys

what are the advantages and disadvantages of placing the pump inside the reservoir?

i'm in the process of building my first watercool setup and i just bought a eheim 1048 pump
kontkommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

If you have an eheim 1048, basically none at all. It would be bigger, messier, harder to do and put (albeit slightly) more heat into the water.

Submerged pumps are generally quieter, but eheim 1048's are next to silent anyway. All things considered; use a smaller res or a T line, and forget about the pump in res.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

My system is submersible. I Boiught the Hydor L20. It's smaller than a the Ehiem 1048 and has a 185 GPH. I went with submersible because I thought I would have been more simple for my firsttime build. I think I would go with a T-line if I did it all over again because I had to build 4 reserviors to get it right

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

For $30 you can get a reservoir that that the 1048 plugs into - so you end up with a sort of "hybrid" inline/submerged setup.
These do not restrict the pump inlet, but come with a very restrictive (8mm ID) compression fitting for the inlet. The reservoir is threaded 1/4BSP(P) for this fitting - so replace it (duh!)
McMaster carries the EhdonJames 1/4BSP to 1/2ID hose adapter, which works fine (ID of this fitting is 11/32" or thereabouts).

I've used a number of these (several on PCs running 24x7) and have yet to have a leak at the point where the pump enters the reservoir (I was pretty skeptical at first...).

Note that there are other Innovatek reservoirs that have internal passageways and that are likely restrictive - these are not, the pump inlet protrudes into the center of the reservoir cavity.
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
-J-

this is my brand new custom made reseirvor.

got it yesterday

my pump is an Atman 105, its quite big, bigger than an EHEIM i believe.
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM   #6
greenman100
Cooling Savant

I hope there's plenty of room on the inlet side
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
-J-

yeah, 1cm to the cap, and almost 2cm more inside.

i think i will remove the cap anyway.
Unread 07-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #8
Silver_Platinum
Cooling Neophyte

The longevity of the pump will also increase, if the pump is run submersed.

-SP
Unread 07-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #9
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Platinum
The longevity of the pump will also increase, if the pump is run submersed.
This being ProCooling, I'd expect you to either prefix that statement with "I think that" or to show something that might back that statement up. For instance, a pump manufacturer of a "submersible" pump (so a pump that can run inline or submerged) offering a longer warranty period if the pump is run submerged than if it is run inline.

Not trying to be unfriendly, but we try to label opinion as opinion (which I'm guessing this is...)

Bob
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #10
funbun
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J-
this is my brand new custom made reseirvor.

got it yesterday my pump is an Atman 105, its quite big, bigger than an EHEIM i believe.
Wow, I like that. Where did you get the marterials from. How did you make it? I would like to build something like that for my pump.

WATER COOLING:
DangerDen Maze 4 CPU waterblock | Hydor L20 waterpump |Homemade reservior | Heater core|

biketour.blogspot.com
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 01:39 PM   #11
-J-

funbun, a friend makes them for me, he owns an acrilyc workshop.

i make the desing in 3d and then he makes them.

they are stuck with chloroform (thats how its called right?)
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:17 AM   #12
Silver_Platinum
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
This being ProCooling, I'd expect you to either prefix that statement with "I think that" or to show something that might back that statement up. For instance, a pump manufacturer of a "submersible" pump (so a pump that can run inline or submerged) offering a longer warranty period if the pump is run submerged than if it is run inline.

Not trying to be unfriendly, but we try to label opinion as opinion (which I'm guessing this is...)

Bob
Yes, I should have elaborated more on that, a pond pump for example (designed to run submersed) would last longer if run submersed. The reason I believe would be that the pump runs more cooler, and maybe due to the "extra" lubrication.
Thought I should clarify it for you!

-J- how thick is the acrylic that you have used, it looks nice.

-SP

Last edited by Silver_Platinum; 07-14-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Silver_Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
-J-

silver, its 1cm thick.
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #14
kizzap
Cooling Neophyte

hmmm...i recently learnt that the MCP600 wasn't designed to be tun underwater. got the whole thing opened up to help it dry. Anyone want some pics?
kizzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

of the guy who put it in the water ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2004, 08:34 AM   #16
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

On the off chance that you are not kidding - from a product design/packaging standpoint, what would have warned you not to do this? Think a "inline use only" sticker on the pump might have helped? I would guess that the product docs already say something along that line (but who reads the manual, right?)...
Bob
Unread 07-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #17
kizzap
Cooling Neophyte

It actually doesn't say anywhere on the pump that it is not supposed to be run underwater. Also the only warning on this pump is that it should never be run dry. That goes for the user guide as well.

Also when i got my pump and i was reading the the installation notes it said that you should not forget to remove the gray rubber plugs covering the inlet and outlet. My pump didn't come with those installed.

And one final question. generally how high does the water flow as it comes out of the ouput when there is no tubing attached to the outlet? mine only got up to around two inches. Is that normal?

Thanks.
Unread 07-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #18
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
It actually doesn't say anywhere on the pump that it is not supposed to be run underwater. Also the only warning on this pump is that it should never be run dry. That goes for the user guide as well.
And the fact that its visably not waterproof didn't deter you at all? I mean my hard disks don't say not to run underwater, but none the less i never submerged them . . .

Edit: I guess adding insult to injury isn't the best thing to do. Let the thing dry out very well and hope you didn't short out the windings on the motor. It might still work if the water didn't get too far into the motor before it shorted out.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 06:24 AM   #19
kizzap
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
And the fact that its visably not waterproof didn't deter you at all? I mean my hard disks don't say not to run underwater, but none the less i never submerged them . . .
From when i got it it seemed like it was designed to be able to be used underwater...I didn't know what the internals were like so i had no idea. As far as i could tell it was submergable as it seemed that all of the pump was protected agains't leaks. -10 points for the n00ba.

hmm...hopefully I haven't killed it. will need to get some thermal paste before I can test it again. *crosses fingers*

Also is it possible to order just the internals for the pump?
Unread 07-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
Butcher
Thermophile

Damn that's a lot of screws you got there.