Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-13-2004, 09:51 PM   #51
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelyuen
i looked again and its a waterblock
Two waterblocks actually.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2004, 11:24 PM   #52
firtol88
Cooling Savant

I couldn't care less what their hardware looks like at this point, I just don't like the litigious.
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:13 AM   #53
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by firtol88
I couldn't care less what their hardware looks like at this point, I just don't like the litigious.
Don't worry about it. I get a threat to be sued almost monthly. A number of people seem to labour under the illusion that I am somehow in monetary competition with them, when I am not. A number of people seem to think that I am malicious whenever I simply state what I see, but I am not.

My only concern is, was, and always has been, to push waterblock cooling technology. I only sell blocks to cover the costs of research, but that is essentially all that I make out of it, and I don't look to make more than that. It's worth repeating again that I make more money per week in my real job than I've made in two years in making blocks, and that money is presently dwindling as we speak.

Heck, it often goes through my mind if I should ever make a publically available waterblock ever again. Once I complete my Storm research, the money will have run out and I will have what I wanted to build for myself, so why should I bother selling blocks? To make a few measly dollars? Even if I made US$20K after selling 2000 blocks, it'd still be a relative pittance to me, and certainly a lot more bother than I want to go to.

My comments are only ever that of a forum member. If I believed that another block was superior to something I could do, I would ring my machinists that minute and tell them to stop anything they were doing for me, I'd settle the bill, and walk away.

For me, it's not about market share, or sales, or money, or any other of the more commercially oriented factors that drive real waterblock companies. To describe what I am, I would guess that "enthusiast researcher" would probably be the best fit, and I really do wish that some people would grasp that concept.

I am not out to steal anyone's market share, or to discredit their products in order to boost my sales. I don't really care about my sales. If making in the vicinity of 300 blocks over a period of 2 years is considered a threat to anyone's market share, then those people have got a lot more than me to worry about. ~300 blocks is a piss in the world-wide waterblock market-place ocean. I stopped making Cascade blocks because I couldn't be bothered with making any more of them once I had covered my costs.

I just state what I see when something passes my way. Just as would any other forum goer.
Unread 07-14-2004, 01:57 AM   #54
nigelyuen
Cooling Neophyte

is the cascade better than the alphacool block?
is cascade ss a silver base block?
nigelyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:06 AM   #55
quicksilverXP
Cooling Neophyte

I'm still having trouble seeing that ripple effect in my block. I've taken pics from several angles, and I also get the same reflection as you Cathar, although I don't have two of the same blocks to produce the same effect (I can read the writing off a USPS receipt perfectly, without any ripply features, such as hazy words. I know what flat is.... I've lapped many heatsinks before and bad Dtek Whitewater blocks (the first batches). Maybe I'm blind. I do have a brand new HP Pro from Snt-systems.com.
quicksilverXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 03:25 AM   #56
Cathar
Thermophile

This post has been edited based on information that has come to light:

Taner from AlphaCool called me. It is apparant that I do have an AlphaCool NeXXoS HP here, but Taner informs me that the lapping quality is not indicative of typical quality.

There has been some backwards and forwards confusion as to the identity of this block, partly caused by it not coming directly from AlphaCool. AlphaCool have offered to send a couple of their latest blocks to confirm that their base lapping quality is better than that shown on the block that I have here.

Last edited by Cathar; 07-14-2004 at 04:22 AM.
Unread 07-14-2004, 03:43 AM   #57
quicksilverXP
Cooling Neophyte

Here's a pic of mine. Look way different than that block. The outside pocket (or whatever you wanna call it) is different.

quicksilverXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 03:51 AM   #58
Silent Bob
Cooling Neophyte

No need to be naive here, Cathar.

The Alphacool HP waterblock has a 5mm baseplate thickness:

http://www.watercoolplanet.de/index....P%20Sockel%20A

The Alphacool HP Pro waterblock has a 3mm baseplate thickness:

http://www.watercoolplanet.de/index....xoS%20HP%20Pro

What you have there is a Alphacool HP waterblock! Maybe some defective unit, or maybe they updated their lapping methods recently.

Pics of my friendĀ“s HP:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1177.JPG (196.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1176.JPG (136.1 KB, 13 views)
Silent Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 03:54 AM   #59
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverXP
Here's a pic of mine. Look way different than that block. The outside pocket (or whatever you wanna call it) is different.
That's the HP Pro that you have there.

Compare the pictures of the block that I have to the AlphaCool NeXXoS HP, which you can see reviewed at KaltMacher here:

http://www.kaltmacher.de/lartikel266...87781c285.html

I think you can agree that they look near identical. The mounting kit that I have here even looks the same as the AlphaCool kit.
Unread 07-14-2004, 03:58 AM   #60
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob
No need to be naive here, Cathar.

The Alphacool HP waterblock has a 5mm baseplate thickness:
Hmmm - Taner (AlphaCool) assured me on the phone that there were no 5mm thick AlphaCool NeXXoS HP's (non-pro).

The block that I have here even has the exact same brand of allen-key nuts as in the picture of your friend's block.

Am very confused now.
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #61
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Hmmm - Taner (AlphaCool) assured me on the phone that there were no 5mm thick AlphaCool NeXXoS HP's (non-pro).

The block that I have here even has the exact same brand of allen-key nuts as in the picture of your friend's block.

Am very confused now.
Okay, another phone-call now.

It seems that this may be a real NeXXoS HP, but an older one that was made with the 5mm thick copper plates.

Taner still insists that the lapping quality is not indicative of typical AlphaCool lapping quality.

Who knows now? Maybe this was just a freak that slipped through the cracks (just a guess)? :shrug: It seems apparant that the lapping quality on this block is not typical at all based on customer feedback above.

In any event, Taner has agreed to ship me from AlphaCool directly two blocks to test, for which I will then pass those blocks on to Phaestus, as this time we can now be sure as to its origins and quality control.

When that does happen I'll start up a new thread to get away from the confusing content in this one.
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:23 AM   #62
Incoherent
Cooling Savant

Quote:
In any event, Taner has agreed to ship me from AlphaCool directly two blocks to test.
Elegant move under the circumstances. Will calm a few waters.
Incoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:38 AM   #63
nigelyuen
Cooling Neophyte

thats what i have been waiting for
alphacool waterblock vs cascade or swiftech
i think alphacool finally want to enter the US market
1acooling doesnt ship to other place than europe, because they think other company will copy their design, how silly
nigelyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 04:46 AM   #64
Pug
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
A bad situation really. AlphaCool could have just offered to send me a wb or two for testing direct from them if they are reading the forums so closely. No need to threaten legal action and stir up bad feelings. I guess if they have no intention of entering the US market though that perhaps they'd get more mileage out of damaging your rep than they would from a thorough review from me.
My own personal opinion on this fact (having been a self-appointed mediator between you and personally recommended this as a trustworthy site to send products to) is that we should have conducted the arrangement of placement by mail, rather than allowing it to continue in the way it was going.

I'm still awaiting the official word from a representative of P/C as I requested in the "other" thread. Alphacool are subsequently awaiting my word on which kit configuration would be best suited to your planned article. I can fully understand their frustration as your approach has been less than professional up to this point (as perhaps, has mine and others).

Your statement appears to overlook this fact.

Perhaps, in light of the new information, someone should have edited Cathar's thread title to reflect the fact that it is indeed not a Pro as we all know that the attention span of many readers may not take them to the point where they could read the updated facts for themselves (and if anyone cares, the correct spelling is NexXxoS).

Credit to Cathar for posting the updated information. I'm inclined to agree with Taner. I've never seen a baseplate like that on any block I've had from them (including the cheapies in the range).

Perhaps with the advent of the XP conversion kits, someone has upgraded their own NexXxos HP Pro and sold on the remainder of parts which someone else has used to add a replicated baseplate too. :shrug:
I take it that Cathar's source for this block wishes to remain anonymous? Otherwise, some clarification from them might shed a little light on things...
Unread 07-14-2004, 06:12 AM   #65
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug
My own personal opinion on this fact (having been a self-appointed mediator between you and personally recommended this as a trustworthy site to send products to) is that we should have conducted the arrangement of placement by mail, rather than allowing it to continue in the way it was going.

I'm still awaiting the official word from a representative of P/C as I requested in the "other" thread. Alphacool are subsequently awaiting my word on which kit configuration would be best suited to your planned article. I can fully understand their frustration as your approach has been less than professional up to this point (as perhaps, has mine and others).

Your statement appears to overlook this fact.

Perhaps, in light of the new information, someone should have edited Cathar's thread title to reflect the fact that it is indeed not a Pro as we all know that the attention span of many readers may not take them to the point where they could read the updated facts for themselves (and if anyone cares, the correct spelling is NexXxoS).

Credit to Cathar for posting the updated information. I'm inclined to agree with Taner. I've never seen a baseplate like that on any block I've had from them (including the cheapies in the range).

Perhaps with the advent of the XP conversion kits, someone has upgraded their own NexXxos HP Pro and sold on the remainder of parts which someone else has used to add a replicated baseplate too. :shrug:
I take it that Cathar's source for this block wishes to remain anonymous? Otherwise, some clarification from them might shed a little light on things...
I'd say their approach was, at first, worse than that of the people here. Conjecture to lawsuits is a pretty big jump, dont you think? I think that cascade data should be taken down from watercoolplanet.de too, but i dont see it happening...

How about we ALL get off our high horses (you included, and perhaps more so, Pug) and just let pH do what he does best; that cant be argued apon. At least they came to their senses about it all.

At any rate, that original thread was more based at low flow vs high flow, which can be typically classed as german vs us set ups. Might be an idea to keep this seperate entirely, as the NexXxoS HP pro will test this theory simply by the block data anyway.

I personally am more interested in the results, as im sure everyone else here is, then bickering about bullshit to a seller.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #66
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

certainly a public relations fiasco
(a new definition of customer support for sure)

why does this bp conjecture remind me so of the mfgr who slipped a ringer to WCP.de - but got found out,
by Cathar (I believe)

amazing to me how people become upset when the truth is revealed, then labor mightly to obscure their culpability
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #67
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Pug:
I said in that thread that I had no problems with testing out a mfgr supplied kit; was my last word.

Cathar:
So if AlphaCool is sending you blocks to test then I don't need to mess with it, right? Sounds like tacit support of your objectivity to me
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #68
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
certainly a public relations fiasco
(a new definition of customer support for sure)
Bear in mind that the person sending the letter identifies himself as a "Foreign Manager". As in (probably) "Foreign Sales Manager".
As engineers, we've probably all had to work with guys like this. They manage sales people whose motivators are basically fear and greed. These managers often forget that there are non-salespersons in the world who don't work this way.
So... this letter assumes greed on Cathar's part - and attempts to instill fear.

It looks like Tanner has "come to" and realized that Cathar is not a salesperson - and has it together enough to realize that what he was doing was totally counter productive. Good on him!

BTW I just re-read that letter and don't see anything about a threatened lawsuit or even a "forward to our law firm for advice" or anything else which might be construed as a hint of a threat.

Oh, and Cathar, the next time you speak with Tanner could you point out that "denigrate" is offensive to some people in the US (reference to black people). Not personally offended or trying to be politically correct myself, but don't see any reason to be hurtful, either...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #69
firtol88
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
...BTW I just re-read that letter and don't see anything about a threatened lawsuit or even a "forward to our law firm for advice" or anything else which might be construed as a hint of a threat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the letter Cathar quoted
Statements about other firms products, which do not correspond to facts or which affect the business are punishable. If you carry on behaving in the same unprofessional manner and you do not contradict your unjustified statements within 24 hours and you desist for the future, we will initiate all legal measures against you,
hmmmm...

And there's a whole lotta quotin goin on, WHOOOT!!!! oh sorry just one of those mornings.
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #70
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
. . . . .
Oh, and Cathar, the next time you speak with Tanner could you point out that "denigrate" is offensive to some people in the US (reference to black people). Not personally offended or trying to be politically correct myself, but don't see any reason to be hurtful, either...
good points in the beginning, this last is crap

it is the action of denigration that is offensive, NOT the word itself
get real

1) To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.
2) To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.

see any race stuff there ?
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #71
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Next the PC police will be protesting this beverages
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM   #72
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

yup, next Johnny Walker too
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #73
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Quote:
Don't worry about it. I get a threat to be sued almost monthly.
Welcome to ProCooling enjoy your stay and please have legal council on retainer

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #74
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Welcome to ProCooling enjoy your stay and please have legal council on retainer
and on speed dial
Unread 07-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #75
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
good points in the beginning, this last is crap...
see any race stuff there ?
Sorry.
Had one person I managed (who happened to be black) quietly ask me after a business meeting in which I'd used "denigrate" to please not use that word any more.
I felt badly and probably took it more to heart than I should have...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote