Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Bigfoot
Cooling Neophyte

Default DDC problem

Hello everyone I am looking for some help as I'm having problems with my DDC pump.

It is not modified and at first I used Koolance coolant when I notice it would sometimes not start. It seems to be ok when running just fails to start up.
I switched to regular tap water in order to see if it would present a fix and it did not. It is not making any funny noise and works fine once started.

I purchased this pump because a friend recommend it to me and now his is doing the same thing. We do not have the signal lines hooked up will that make a difference?

If this is the wrong spot to ask for help I will move the topic.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

contact your vendor, RMA the pump(s)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Bigfoot
Cooling Neophyte

Yes but what did I or we do to cause this problem?
Kevin tells me he read somewhere in this forum the pumps are good for 5 years.
Been more like 5 weeks for him and a few weeks for me.

What did we do wrong?

Makes no sense to make the same mistake twice
Unread 03-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

well, the one thing you ddi that was not very smart, was to run tap-water in your loop.
Not that that was the cause of th epumps problem, but its not a good idea....follow printed instructions?
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
Marci
Cooling Savant

Ensure you have enough ampage and wattage spar on the 12v rail of your PSU for the pump to start. If PSU is too weak, pump may not be able to start.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Bigfoot
Cooling Neophyte

I only used tap water as a fix test.

I will test the voltage on the power supply.

My friend Kevin has recieved email for our RMA and the vendor does not offer any suggestions and our problem is not news to him.

We will try agian if the power supply is OK

Thanks for the help
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
allnighter
Cooling Neophyte

It's somewhat strange that both of you have exactly the same problem but than again, if purchased at the same time they may come from the same batch and have same kind of defect, if defective. Voltage is the usual culprit in cases like this but if it turns out not to be the case, simply get your pumps replaced. These are quality pumps but even the best have some that are simply broken. Good luck troubleshooting.
allnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Tempus
Cooling Savant

What PSU are you using?
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:14 AM   #9
Remote Man
Cooling Neophyte

I Have a similar problem that fixes with a PSU change, but I would be interested to know some batch/serial numbers.
Remote Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #10
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

http://www.cooling-masters.com/forum...ic=1446&st=650
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
Bigfoot
Cooling Neophyte

The PSU seems fine at 12.8 V on my system

I can not read french but can tell alot of people are having this problem from the above link.

Looks like this "unregistered" guy that has been telling everyone that these units are bulletproof has some explaining to do.

Going to plug my Koolance pump back in for now
Again thanks for all the help everyone.
Unread 03-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

if you translate that page things are even less clear
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
explaining for sure, I have no problem with candor
but before I speak I like to have a grip on what is happening, this is still unfolding
that letter from Ralf/Laing is verbatim what I have been saying, but more should be known shortly

when something can be said, with confidence, it will be
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
allnighter
Cooling Neophyte

Kepp us up to date Bill. I have no problems with my pumps but sure am curious about all this.
allnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #14
tinker77
Cooling Neophyte

Interesting! I think I'll hold off buying and DDC(mpc350) for now.... :shrug:
tinker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
lolito_fr
Cooling Savant

According to Ralph (see link above, doesn't need translating, lol) only the first 200 pumps had a problem.
I'm sure Laing have it all sorted by now don't you think!?
lolito_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

see post #2 and post #12
listen to whom you wish (use the past as a predictor ?)
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Remote Man
Cooling Neophyte

I still don't see any batch/serial numbers.
As I would like to know if it's my pump or power supply that has a problem.
Remote Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

Maybe his PSU doesn't have sufficient amperage on the 12V line for consistent startup? Just because the line is at 12.8V when it's up and running doesn't mean anything. Everything requires more juice to get going than it does to keep going. I would try swapping PSUs if at all possible first. Not all PSUs are created equal, despite being rated for the same wattage.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #19
Jam
Cooling Neophyte

I'm going to watch this thread as well.

I bought three of these pumps recently {from three different sources} and only now just fired up the first two in a rig I am building. The third will sit in a box for a couple of months.

All three pumps have been modified for 1/2" ID inlet - and I added the RPM sensor wire, so if any of the three fail, I don't expect an RMA. Still, we "modders" need to be prepared to replace the pump with a good one, if they do fail.

I had communications with Laing a couple weeks ago {Michael Solso, Greg leaverton} and I was told the pumps have been coming into the country {from Hungary, where they are made} for about a year - and that Laing has a six-figure USD inventory.} Sounds like, if there is a problem, they'll get it sorted.

While I did not measure the startup current, I highly doubt that any standard computer switching supply will fail to deliver enough current to start and run these little pumps.

Cheers,

Joe
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #20
surge
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
I'm going to watch this thread as well.

I bought three of these pumps recently {from three different sources} and only now just fired up the first two in a rig I am building. The third will sit in a box for a couple of months.

All three pumps have been modified for 1/2" ID inlet - and I added the RPM sensor wire, so if any of the three fail, I don't expect an RMA. Still, we "modders" need to be prepared to replace the pump with a good one, if they do fail.

I had communications with Laing a couple weeks ago {Michael Solso, Greg leaverton} and I was told the pumps have been coming into the country {from Hungary, where they are made} for about a year - and that Laing has a six-figure USD inventory.} Sounds like, if there is a problem, they'll get it sorted.

While I did not measure the startup current, I highly doubt that any standard computer switching supply will fail to deliver enough current to start and run these little pumps.

Cheers,

Joe
I got mine to start of a pair of 6 volt batteries in series when I was testing it, even though the voltage drooped to 10 volts
surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #21
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam

Cheers,

Joe
But he's not just starting the pump. He's starting everything else in his system at the same time. It's entirely possible his PSU just doesn't have enough juice. Not likely, but possible.
Unread 03-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #22
surge
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker
But he's not just starting the pump. He's starting everything else in his system at the same time. It's entirely possible his PSU just doesn't have enough juice. Not likely, but possible.
Just measured the start-up current. Its 1.5 amps. I'd of thought any PSU would do that!
surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 08:20 AM   #23
nightic
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
The PSU seems fine at 12.8 V on my system
Could be the problem right there.
Have found anything above 13.2-13.3V (measured) and the pump won't start (although if the voltage is increased while the pump is already running then it's fine).
Your 12.8V (assuming you're reading that from BIOS/software) could easily translate to over 13.3V measured (or you could have a pump whose tolerance for start-up voltage is tighter than mine).
nightic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #24
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge
Just measured the start-up current. Its 1.5 amps. I'd of thought any PSU would do that!
Well then. I stand corrected. Who knew it used so little power? Obviously not me.
Unread 03-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #25
eander315
Cooling Neophyte

Any update on this issue yet? There have been at least a couple of people here and over at SPCR who have had problems with non-starting Laing DDC pumps. Still a relatively low failure rate, I'd say, given the number of people who have pumps that work fine, but any info would still be appreciated.
eander315 is offline   Reply With Quote