Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
DG
Cooling Neophyte

Default Odd pump problem?

Hello everyone. I first want to thank everyone for the great links on this board.

I just finished my second water cooling system using different companies parts.
I have a danger den CPU and GPU cooling block, a Swiftech reserve and a C systems mag pump.

I hooked up the pump to main power supply because I have no idea how much wattage my MOBO can take and I did not want to risk a guess. I bleed my system using the old suck on the tubing method, turned on the power and believed the pump was dead. I tried to look in reserve with no luck then the Cpu and could finally see the flow. Thinking the flow was very low I set up another bottle to look at open stream and there was plenty of flow!

It has been 3 days now and I still have no idea when or if the pump is running.

Question.... or questions
Is there an inexpensive flow meter I can use?
Is the cable C-System has on there site for RPM feedback safe for any MOBO?

I know this may seem like a weird request but I would like to know if the water is flowing.

This new system is upgraded from my old system and I can see very little difference in performance temp wise. Using TDX block vs Maze and CSP pump vs danger den 12V.

Last edited by DG; 05-07-2005 at 06:29 AM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
XTATDSM
Cooling Neophyte

trust me, if the pump is not flowing any water you will know in no time, I mean your CPU temps will shoot up the sky.
XTATDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
csimon
Cooling Neophyte

Hold the pump in your hand or touch it with your finger and you can barely feel the vibration.

Be sure to get all of the air bubbles out of the pump, radiator and wb by tilting the entire unit back and forth and side to side. Sometimes depending on your setup you almost have to invert the entire rig. Especially if your radiator is mounted upside down.

A flow meter will add more restriction to the line but there are some available if you really want one.

If you have the csp-mag it will monitor rpm's off of a motherboard header but I wouldn't plug the csp-750 into a mb header for an extended period of time.

If you have the 750 order a MAG from and when it comes in swap it out and return the 750 to c-systems for a $29.99 refund.

Can you show us any pics of your w/c system?

Last edited by csimon; 05-07-2005 at 07:33 AM.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Dave
Cooling Savant

DG you are not alone with this issue.
There are several posts on other boards with same concern.

I even read on a dealers board, that a customer was going to RMA a working pump, and the dealer had to convince him the pump was running

Don't have any answers, just suggestions.

Yes- the rpm cable is safe with any MOBO. If you have a 775 processor board, you are 100% safe to plug straight into CPU fan port.

We have a run up automated motor test we use on every pump that leaves here.
When I do long term testing, I set up a board with an LED, that flashes if the motor is running. I just look at the bench every morning.

I suggest you use rpm CPU fan feedback via your mother board bios, and let the built in functions monitor your pump and enjoy

Dave
C-Systems support
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
flatline
Cooling Savant

dave have you considerd adding a small led to case?
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ Maybe, not sure what people want anymore.
Never figured we would make a pump that is TOO quite!

There pushing the new alloy injected case tooling schedule up, need to figure out something before they cut the mold.
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

An LED won't help. The motor could still be busted and we wouldn't know, as long as the LED was still getting power. The best method is RPM monitoring, but if they don't use it, nothing can really be done.

Too quiet IS an interesting problem. I'll say that much.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Dave
Cooling Savant

I think he means a flashing LED, like I have on the bench test or like an HD LED.
Unread 05-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
flatline
Cooling Savant

yes an led conected "some how" to the hall sensor inside the pump like an alternare to rpm cable
Unread 05-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Dave
Cooling Savant

I have the RPM line tied into simple TTL counter, and a LED off the 4th bit.
LED flashes every 8 turns. The RPM line is tied to hall.

Simple circuit even for home guys, may even add some "bling" to nice custom case

Last edited by Dave; 05-07-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Unread 05-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
flatline
Cooling Savant

intergrashon into case wud be nice blue may be...

ps carefull of the word "bling" antiblingers hunt in packs round hear
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #12
DG
Cooling Neophyte

Ok all I will just set up rpm and let computer BIOS do the job.
I know it seems like no big deal but I am nervous around small pumps because of recent problems.

Thanks for eveyones help.

I can take pictures but how do I post them?
My set up is not pretty as I perfer performance over fashion.
Think I have a good mix of pieces, and not willing to spend $300 to get another 1C lower CPU temps like some of you here.

I just want to run my system at 100% all the time, and have had very good results with my first set up.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote