Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 09-09-2000, 02:58 PM   #1
NeO
Cooling Neophyte

Default Recommendations on cooling for my new system

Hey,

I am building this comp and I just bought:

-ASUS CUBX motherboard
-P3 800MHz 256MB onboard Socket 370 Flipchip
-Kingston 128MB SDRAM PC-100
-ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 128 16MB
-Sound Blaster Live
-U.S. Robotics Pro Modem 56K
-Syslink Ethernet Network Card

And i Had a old:
-Creative PC-DVD X2

I got it all in a ATX case with 7 drive bays.
I got a 20GB drive and in process of gettting a 2GB for operating system. I also got a 300W power case. What exactly should i use to cool this baby? I have figure that if i use the fan in the front of the case (one i mounted to bring air in) that it won't cool the part of the case i want cooled. It just will blow onto the lower components. If you got any reccomendations Please let me know!
NeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2000, 10:05 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

One word:

BlowHole's

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2000, 03:56 PM   #3
NeO
Cooling Neophyte

Blowholes?... o k . . .

------------------
-NeO-
Unread 09-22-2000, 02:03 AM   #4
inventor2010
Cooling Neophyte

NeO-
Are you the One? Never mind.

Is your power supply fan blowing outward? If it is, you may be fine with just the one fan in the lower front of the case blowing inward. It does not really matter that the lower fan is not blowing directly on anything significant. The point is to mix the air by creating turbulence and to change out the air quick enough to keep it cool inside. Having a large case with a lot of air volume is to your advantage. Also, try to arrange your ribbon cables so that they create as little obstruction to the air flow as possible.

If your power supply has a fan that blows inward, you can take the case off the PS and flip the fan over to reverse the flow. Otherwise, you might need to add an exhaust fan to the upper rear of the case.
inventor2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2000, 10:56 AM   #5
NeO
Cooling Neophyte

Well i know that my power supply blows out, BUT it is what they call a GENERIC brand . (DEER COMPUTERS, INC. LTD) or something of that name. so i think i might what to take that fan out cause from what i plugged in...the fan in it sucks. If you got a site or anyhere that i can go to to disconnect the fan and put the new one in that would be great. I saw an article somewhere,but i dn't know where i saw it...quit a bit a long ago.

thanks

------------------
-NeO-
Unread 10-09-2000, 08:36 PM   #6
adam_jj
Cooling Neophyte

If you really want to get into it, you can modify your case to include extra fans at either the top or bottom. The bottom fans you want to blow in pulling cool air in and the top fans you want blowing out to pull out the hot air that is rising to the top of the case. I suggest adding an extra fan or two to the case. I did and it helped enormously.

------------------
~-~-~-

Insert fav. quote here.
adam_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2000, 12:29 AM   #7
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

A blowhole is an actual hole cut into the case where a fan is mounted, blowing cool air in/out. It is suggested that you cut a blowhole on the side of the case over the processor and one on the top of the case. Cool air will blow in through the blowhole near the processor, and the hot air will exhaust out of the top of the computer. BTW... I heard those Dear Tech. psus die quickly so watch out.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2000, 07:33 AM   #8
teras
Cooling Neophyte

i've had mine for a year now and i've had no probs with my 300 watt deer psu...they may be generic but they work very well
teras is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2000, 08:32 AM   #9
ondaedg
Cooling Savant

avoid the asus CUBX, unless you already got it. It doesn't seem to be as overclocker friendly as most would like. If you don't have a motherboard yet, get the Asus CUSL2. Should be out shortly if it isn't already out. Good luck!
ondaedg is offline   Reply With Quote