Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-19-2002, 03:36 AM   #226
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Geee, m8, I really dont want to take advantage on your good will.
Those Y pieces are not available here, so I hope I didn't ask for too much, just thinking that I'll need two for inserting temp probes and one or two for splitting the flow and merging the pumps.

For the other things, I cannot think of anything for now, got AS3, found a shop (RC modeller center) that has large dia Si tubing but no Y splitters...

So the Y pieces are my only need.

Thanks a LOT for help and good will!!!!!!

Pls, PM me with address and total sum for Y's and postage so I can send you cash...

Oh, and customs, yup, they won't charge anything as long as goods sent are less than 40 Euro total, everything over that will be charged, doesn't matter are they sent by a shop or a person...And one catch too, that 40 Euro total is for various goods, meaning I can buy for example one AS3 and one UV dye for total 25 $ and that is ok, but if I buy four AS3, I'm pushing my luck...

Those Y's will be ok, don't worry. Man you're doing me a GREAT favour!

Thank you!
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:23 PM   #227
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Some more progress... these are the tools I bought (and used ) today. Tappers and holder. Here's the pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tapper.jpg (17.4 KB, 132 views)
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:27 PM   #228
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Since I was doing this for the very first time, I tried it on a piece of copper (don't let the tinned surface fool ya)...not hard at all, just time consuming. Couldn't find any cutting oil or such, so it was done on *dry*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharaf2.jpg (7.9 KB, 129 views)
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:29 PM   #229
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Tomorrow is a block tapping time!!!

For those interested in metric threads, here's the back of the tappers package, some useful drill dia for different dia taps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metric.jpg (20.1 KB, 123 views)
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:43 AM   #230
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i can send you for the moment 1 Y the shop only carried 3, so, considering the shop is far away, it will take me some time to get there again. so one is no problem...

what would it cost to send, because the Y in itself is too dumb to pay for, costs 2€/piece.

i got my copper yesterday, sawed off a piece, sanded some. second hole i tap; bingo, tap broke off. i tapped 3 holes for the barb without a problem (with a 70€ tap) for the M4's i bought a kit for 20€ with 20 taps, i should have known that cheap junk would be nothing but trouble. what did you buy for your tapping kit?
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:46 AM   #231
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

g.l., you got PM.

Glad you got the copper!!!

Sad to hear you broke the tap...

The taps I bought were 6 Euro, just for M4 tap. The holder was 4 Euro, but it can hold M3 - M8 tappers only. There was a bigger one, but I'll wait till the shop get the 3/8 tappers, and buy it both (they said next week...). The tappers seem to be a good quality for the money, I managed to tap these two holes holding the piece of the copper in my hand. I have found another store that have tappers of better quality, and the price was for M4 about 14 Euro. If I break one of those I have, think I'm going to buy that better ones.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:50 AM   #232
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i'm gonna look into the pm right away;

telephoned a metal tools shop, apparently they have a tapping set for m4, where u handtap in 3 stages, easy-medium-finish

they say it can tap holes in cobalt, so should be extremely stiff.

they also told me again, that it is not necessary to use cutting oil for copper.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:56 AM   #233
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Yeah, those 3 stage tappers are easy to work with, athough I found that if I go with easy and medium, without finish, the screw is somewhat tighter in the hole, I tapped one hole just with the first two, and second with all three, and the screw in the all three tappered hole is more loose... Maybe its because I was tapping the holes holding the copper in my hand, so it wasn't precise...

I'll try it again, just to mount my vice on the balcony (happily, it's a sunny day...)
Unread 11-20-2002, 06:50 AM   #234
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

:shrug:

There must be a Murphy's law about working on a piece of crap always turns good and easy, and working on a piece one actually wants to use and consider it most important, fails on a first attempt...and unrepairable, if possible...

Hate it, I just managed to break two (2) tappers, easy and medium, ofcourse in two different holes on one half of the block.

Great.

When I broke first one (on the first hole in block), I thought never mind, I'll seal it good and have only three bolts holding the two halves. Then I broke second tapper, in different hole, and ofcourse, on the same side of the block, so I cannot even use two diagonal bolts to hold the halves.

Oh, and I managed to break one 2.5 mm drill bit aligning the halves of the chipset block. Scratch that too...

MadDogMe: think I'll listen to the early warnings for now on...

Brittle...hate that word...

Well, off for lunch, and to make another, brand new half of the block later...

brittle...hate it...mumblemumblemumble...told ya so...mumblemumblemumble...
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:49 AM   #235
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Damn I sorry that that happened , Cu is very 'grabby' even though it is soft. Try doing 1/4 turn forward then 1/8th turn back. use WD40 or 'Three in One' oil for lubricant,(we definatly used paste at school, but it was for tapping Steel). try using the tips of your fingers to turn the tap, so you can feel any increase in pressure or snags/grabs, then turn backwards and move forward/inwards very slowly in small steps/turns...

The cheap taps are VERY brittle, you get what you pay for with tools :shrug: ...
I'd go for the best ones you can afford...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:19 AM   #236
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

a good advice indeed :-(

what do you think maddogme, i can buy a 3 stage tapping set for 8€ that can be used to thread cobalt. would that be any good? cobalt is supposed to be the most hard material , no? or should i go more expensive still.
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:04 AM   #237
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I don't think that you want to spend a lot of money on it.

You should take the time to figure out why the tap broke. Off-hand, I'm going to guess that you put a side-to-side motion in the handle; that was probably the cause.

Oil is absolutely necessary (WD-40 is my favorite), at least with steel. Copper is softer, but that's no excuse.

You should probably take the tap out, somewhere in the process, to clean it up: like MadDog said, Copper is grabby. 1/4 turn in, 1/8 out. One step at a time...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:07 AM   #238
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

thk u bigben, i will go get myself some wd40then.
Unread 11-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #239
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

BREAK

Thx for the tips!

/rampage mode on

After the lunch BREAK I decided to buy better taps. Maybe the best I can found in my town. I'll take a BREAK of drilling and cutting till tomorrow, so after the BREAK of dawn I'll be back in bussiness. I'll BREAK open a new bag of espresso coffee, and after a morning grumpiness gives me a BREAK, I'll try again. But not sooner. Don't wanna to BREAK something more.

/rampage mode off

Yeah, copper is very grabby, and funny thing, I broke both of the taps trying to slowly back the tapper. For the hole 10 mm deep, I managed to take it out fully and clean it twice, and on the third time it broke. I'll try with WD 40 next time. It could be that when I tried harder to back it, I put more pressure on the side, so the tap broke, but I really tried to keep it straight all the time. Dunno... One experience more I guess. It can always serve as a negative example.

Think that I'll saw off that piece of copper to 50 x 50 mm size, and use it anyway. At least in another block.

Thx guys!

Off to ATM and into the shop.
Unread 11-20-2002, 01:07 PM   #240
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Seems that tomorrow is the Day. Got new set of tappers for 14 Euro, but I'm not tapping anything more today. Any more suggestions and tips are very warmly welcome!

pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tapper2.jpg (12.7 KB, 95 views)
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:03 PM   #241
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Puzzdre, I guess the guilty one of your "accident" was the vice.

Think of it: When you handholded the piece, any unwanted sideload applied to the tap simply tilts the part because of the soft holding. With the part firmly attached to the vice all sideloads are flexing the tap.

Even if you buy the most expensive Taps the situation is the same, it could be harder, but still brittle.
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:15 PM   #242
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

It did crossed my mind that when I was holding the piece in my hand, movements of hand compensated the sideloads on the tapper, but today, before I started to tap the block, I tapped two more holes in the same piece of copper I tappered in hand, just to 'get the feeling' and see what happens. Everything went smooth. I was more careful, and advanced slower when I was tapping actual block than when practicing on that scrap piece.

You could be right though, I'll try again tomorrow both, in the hand and in the vice.

Yeah, no quality of the tool can compensate noobines in using the tool, but these I bought now are just a little more on the quality side, and ofcourse, no warranties that I won't break them too.

Thx!
Unread 11-20-2002, 03:52 PM   #243
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

if this ain't a hobby, then what is???

anyway, welcome to the club of workpiece spoilers puzzdre.

what can be learned?
-when u have a series of different jobs to do on one workpiece. the job that is most prone to failure and fux0ring up your workpiece, you do first.

so in my blockmaking career, from now on
1)sawing up the workpiece
2)lapping both connecting sides
3)tap the holes
4)....

anyway. is there a concensus on tapping? better to use no vice and just try doing it by hand? somehow i have the gut feeling that the vice is a bit better. i broke my tap when using no vice, whereas the succesfull hole i used a vice.

like bigben says, i thk WD40 will have a huge impact on lowering the rotational flex on the tap (is what killed mine). i don't thk sideway flexing had to do with my accident.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:14 PM   #244
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Quote:
so in my blockmaking career, from now on
1)sawing up the workpiece
2)lapping both connecting sides
3)tap the holes
4)....
good idea, I should print it, with large bolded font if possible...

Quote:
if this ain't a hobby, then what is???
RC helicopter models cost a little bit more than this, but that's the next step...

Quote:
anyway, welcome to the club of workpiece spoilers puzzdre.
Thank you! I just hope that the number of the spoiled workpieces won't make me vicepresident, or worse...
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:40 PM   #245
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

dammit puzzdre, there's nothing that gets you down now is there? ;-) never forgetting the humour to it all.

i can tell u , i was mighty pissed for a couple of hours after fux0ring up my workpiece.
Unread 11-20-2002, 04:51 PM   #246
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

It's easier this way. Several yrs ago, I would throw the block, the drill press and the table down the balcony...But then I'd had to go down to pick all that mess up, and see what can be repaired of the broken tools.

Sure, I was pissed off too, but having the federal reserve of copper and still some money for the tools, just decided to drop it for today...Saved my PC's life several times that way...

Humour is the best way to tell the people (and to yourself) how pissed off you really are, and what a stupid and silly situation you are in so we all can have a good laugh...maybe...:shrug:

/edit/ Jeeeez, just re-read that, sounds like a clip from the 'Return of the Confuciuss' son part two...I must stop doing that...

Last edited by Puzzdre; 11-20-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Puzzdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #247
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

hehe, and once you get past the " break the tap in the firts hole" syndrome, and you go forth and become rather proficient at doing it.... watch out for the last hole..... it will get you every time.... just as you are thinking to yourself..." I'm getting good!!!" SNAP
Unread 11-21-2002, 03:21 AM   #248
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

well, i got 6m of copper now, and i still got pissed because i would lose 2cm of copper out of braking the tap. thats just the way i am. i had to move heaven and earth to get that damn copper...
Unread 11-21-2002, 06:41 AM   #249
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Thank you #Rotor!!! Now we must figure the way of tapping the last hole first...

g.l., it's not just the copper, it's (IMO) all the bloody effort, time, money, tools we lost... If I imagine that I ruined my last piece of copper, I would take a month off of making the block...but now...

Imagine tapping the soap. That's the way it was today...
Good tools, and WD 40, I merely twisted the bloody thing, it all went smoooooth... Like it was tapping itself, me just standing there looking pretty...

If I didn't have yesterday's experience, I would never believe when somebody told me the tapping is PITA. NEVER. Good thing it happened like that, cos' now we now to go slow and buy the GOOD tools, cos' result is more than beautiful:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cijeliblok1.jpg (11.6 KB, 101 views)
Unread 11-21-2002, 06:44 AM   #250
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

There is still a gap between the halves cos' I didn't clean the mess in between, and didn't screw the halves all the way...

Man, I'm I satisfied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's the top view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cijeliblok2.jpg (7.3 KB, 105 views)