Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 03-16-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

Default Need advice, computer runs hot

I just built my first system, including the case which is out of 1/4" lexan (i'd have pictures, but i'm still working on the digital camera, grrr ), and it seems to be running hotter than it should. I'm comparing this to my current system which is an AMD 2000+ oc'ed to 2100+, w/ stock hs, runs 39c idle, 45c load. my new system is a biostar M7VIQ MB w/ an AMD 1700+ and a cooller master HAC-V81 heatsink & fan. it hits 50c at idle & 56c under heavy gaming. i've currently got two 80mm intake fans & 1 80mm outlet + ps fan. for the moment i'm assuming fairly decent air flow through the case (its a cube, btw) and i'm wondering if there are any known issues w/ the temp diode on the mb or if that heat sink/fan combo (supposedly rated to 2800+) just plain sucks? now i'm aware that amd chips can in fact handle these kind of temps, i'm just not real pleased with them. also, please no comments on the motherboard, i know its crap for OCing, but it fit my design criteria, & its for my little bro, who has no interest in tinkering w/ computers, to take to college. would appreciate hearing from anyone thats used this hs or has any ideas. thnx.

w/ any luck i'll be able to snag a dig camera from a buddy so there might be some pictures in the near future.
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Imo, you're assuming wrong. There should always be more air being removed than the one being put in.

So, in your case, you're putting more air into the case, wich has no sufficient exaust, then it heats up, and alot of the hot air is trapped inside your case.

Then, theres another problem, it's a cube. The air movement through cube server type cases are not that "regular". Some pictures would be nice .

Last but not least, the Coolermaster HAC-V81 is not that good as a HSF. There's alot better ones, cheap. Like a v7+ or a v9.
Unread 03-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
Zogthetroll
Cooling Savant

Default thnx for the input

i'm adding a few things after considering the previous post,

1. i'm upgrading the PS fan to a panoflo, current fan is crap, so i suspect that the PS is actually contributing to the heat problem.
2. i'm getting some arctic silver III (as opposed to the generic thermal paste that was included)
3. ducting the HS fan 90deg. off of the heat sink to orient it towards the nearby front intake fan, (the heatsink fan blows air through the HS instead of pulling it through) so it shouldn't recycle as much heated air.

i think i'll stick w/ the current HSF, i'm not entirely convinced that changing that will have enough impact to be worthwhile w/ the case being fairly cramped. i'll have a better idea after the mentioned mods. still no digital camera, so no pics, hopefully in the near future though. :shrug:

just for reference though, specs are
AMD 1700+
256 meg RAM
coolermaster HSF
(4) 5 1/4 bays
(2) 3 1/2 bays
generic cd rom
48x burner
40gig HDD
integrated sound, lan, & graphics (not too shabby actually)
(2) 80 mm blue led intake fans (on a baybus of sorts)
80 mm top exhaust fan
300W power supply
overall case dimentions 12.5"Tall x 12.5"Wide x 14.5"Deep
which i think equals 318mm x 318mm x 368mm or therebouts'

terramex, not that i'm disregarding your advice at all, it made me consider the overall design quite seriously, i just came to the HSF decision after looking at a number of reviews on the available alternatives, plus, like you said, air flow isn't all that great currently so i'm trying to correct that first & see what happens.
thnx for your input
Zogthetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #4
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

I would probably have to agree with TerraMex.

I ran into a similar situation where I built a system for a friend which consisted of a ABIT NF7 in a mid-size case with a 80mm intake over the HSF + 80mm intake (front of case) and only the PSU to remove the heat. The CPU was an Athlon XP 1700+ Running @ 2100Mhz at about 47C with cover off. Once the cover when on, the temps jumped to about 52-55C. I then added an additional 80mm exhaust fan and the temps went back to 47C.

With the setup that it SOUNDS like you have, see if you can take one of those 80mm fans and make it an exhaust fan near the back of the unit and then add some air holes near the front.
Reason: More air going out of system than into system creates a slight vacuum effect inside the case causing air to be pulled from the outside of the case inside. With the air being brough in from the front and forced out the back, you create a wind tunnel inside the case => very good airflow throughout entire case. (Worked wonderful in an external SCSI case that I made for work!)

Good luck.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote