Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 12-26-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Gulp35
Cooling Savant

Voltage ripple in PSU lines

I was thinking about buying a new PSu recently, a Fortron 530W . Thinking about this decision i was pondering the idea how voltage can ripple cause instability in overclocking.

Solution : regulate the lines more. My Dad proposed putting a capacator on the lines to even out the current.

I know the Mobos and PSU already have allot of regulators like this but I was thinking allong the lines that more is better. Would this idea help at all? Any ideas on circuits on how to use this Idea?

This is a place of innovation so I thought I would ask here. Please comment away.
ATi Radeon 9800Pro (stock, too hot)-----ATI RageXL
WD800JB+WD2500JB-------WD1600JD
Sony DVD/CDRW-------NEC 3520A Black
Forton350W--------Antec TruePower2.0 550W EPS12v
Gulp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

First, a quantity:

Specs call for max ripple to be at 50 mV, for the +3.3 and 5 volt lines, and 100 mV on the +12. Can't remember what frequency though (Since87 would know).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 08:06 AM   #3
punish3r
Cooling Neophyte

Hrmmm... I would imagine that with the price PSU's are going for these days that the inductors are dioded against inductive kickback (kind of a "duh" on my part, but you never know), so in an "ideal" system, you shouldn't have a problem putting caps on the output lines, but I would imagine the precharge and drain times associated with the caps might present a problem, unless you can match them evenly across all the voltage lines. Even then, it might screw with the timing on the RC networks.
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson
punish3r is offline   Reply With Quote