Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-02-2004, 10:34 AM   #81
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

SnowRider
you say you have read up on the subject; your questions conceal the expected results
go here and read the article on the Thermochill rads

as Groth stated, undefined conditions = bs marketing

bobkoure
and the temp rise across the wet side ?
dry side ?
suggest you read that rad article also

Last edited by BillA; 05-02-2004 at 01:05 PM.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 01:25 PM   #82
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
To plumb it in parallel or series is quite easy to decide. Just buy some cheap vinyl tubing and try it both ways, see which way its flowing faster through the CPU block. Give it the old bucket test.

Too bad about the Black Ice radiators. Are you sure there isnt a core or two to fit? BIX seem like kind of a rip off to me.
the BIX is expensive...
but essential in where size was the major factor... only factor.
the other option that should be considering when you plumb everything in...
how many bends and length of tubing you will need...
I have seen certain recommended flow paths... but if the recomended flow paths cause to many bends... make your own flow path...
like AntiBling said.. the bucket test is truely the only way to test your flow rate.
Unread 05-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #83
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, I've already read through the "Online Database for Heatercores: Ben" thread which poses my next question. I can't seem to figure out how to actually buy or look at the heatercore I'm interested in. For example, I like the dimensions of this heatercore
Quote:
306 | a304 | 2-756 | 9.5 | 5.375 | 1.625 | 0.625 | 0.625
but I don't know how to do anything with that information. Help?? :shrug:

*edit* I really should've waited to post my questions about radiators until this question got answered which will definitely limit my choices on rads/heatercores
Quote:
.... now the big question. If I had those 120mm fans exhausting (pulling air through the radiator which is what I've heard is best), and seeing that the radiator is pretty close to the dvd-rom...... how much do you think this would this hurt my cooling capabilities to leave the dvd-rom there? I think the space would be about a half inch at the most. So, which would be better.... a single 120mm fan sized radiator/heatercore? Or a Dual 120mm fan sized radiator/heatercore with that very small gap on one side?

Last edited by SnowRider; 05-02-2004 at 01:50 PM.
SnowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 02:10 PM   #84
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

2-756 is the Fedco number.
9.5 and 5.375 (aka 5 3/8") are the dimensions.
1.625 is the thickness (i.e. 1 5/8").
0.625 (twice) is the inlet and outlet diameter (5/8").
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 02:24 PM   #85
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
2-756 is the Fedco number.
9.5 and 5.375 (aka 5 3/8") are the dimensions.
1.625 is the thickness (i.e. 1 5/8").
0.625 (twice) is the inlet and outlet diameter (5/8").
I knew the dimension part of it (sorry, I guess I didn't clarify that) but didn't know what to do with these #'s: 306 | a304 | 2-756
Ok, the 2-756 is the Fedco #....... what's that:shrug:?
What are the other #'s for and how would I go about buying this heatercore if it was the one I wanted? Thanks
Unread 05-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #86
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Umm... We know for SURE that more water will flow through series, unless we're talking outrageous restriction like an X-flow. Parallel offers lower inlet temperatures.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:09 PM   #87
pdf27
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
Umm... We know for SURE that more water will flow through series, unless we're talking outrageous restriction like an X-flow. Parallel offers lower inlet temperatures.
Erm... You sure about that? If you've got two similar blocks, the flow resistance from them in parallell will be less than that for them in series. While this cuts the flow rate through the paralell blocks, it increases the system flow rate as a whole. If you split the flow at/after the CPU block then surely the CPU benefits from the increased flow while the GPU/NB/Other gubbins (which is less temperature sensitive) has reduced cooling.
This is all theoretical (I have yet to build a water cooled system) but it appears to make sense to me.
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #88
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Hmmm...
They're changed their site. They used to state measurement conditions on every page that had ratings for their radiators.
The one for the BlackIcePro (120mm but thinner than the BIX)
still does *100 CFM, .28inH2O fans, 6 l/min flow rate. The missing ones are (IMHO) a simple oversight - stuff gets lost nearly every time a web site gets re-designed.
i note that still omits the key to their overblown ratings... 40C differential over the air...
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #89
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider
Ok, the 2-756 is the Fedco #....... what's that:shrug:?
..... and how would I go about buying this heatercore if it was the one I wanted? Thanks
Fedco are one of the firms that make heatercores, each of whom have their own numbering system....
this extremely useful site lets you find the others:
http://www.autopart.com/radiatorinfo/heatercoretech.htm

enter the fedco number, change manufacturer to fedco and click continue... it also gives you a drawing from the GDI number...
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:44 PM   #90
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldenton
Fedco are one of the firms that make heatercores, each of whom have their own numbering system....

enter the fedco number, change manufacturer to fedco and click continue... it also gives you a drawing from the GDI number...
Ok thx. That'd help except for the fact it didn't seem to be working. I entered the Fedco # switched the manufacturer to Fedco and clicked continue but just got a page where it looked like information should've been but wasn't there. I'll keep trying but I think they might be having problems at that site maybe? Thx again.
Unread 05-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #91
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:

anybody have a copy of the images like they use to have in leakycar.com?
I'd host them with the table hosted here
Unread 05-02-2004, 06:45 PM   #92
AntiBling
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
I didnt say that quite right. What I meant to say was try this:

CPU in series with GPU and NB

vs. this

CPU in series with GPU and NB in parallel

and see if the CPU flow is significantly slower when all are in series. If so, choose configuration 2. If not, leave them all in series. Hope I explained that ok. I tried putting some arrows and all in the post but when I posted it they wouldnt line up right.
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #93
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Significantly slower? No... Try to work some numbers. The pressure drop is half of that of the NB or GPU block @ system flow. Assuming we're using Swiftech's, at 7.2" drop at 1GPM. You're using a Mag 3. Your CPU block is a Swiftech as well, at 8.6" drop. Work out the difference in CPU cooling. I doubt it'll be measurable. Your NB and GPU will both suffer from the reduced flow more than they'll gain from the lower inlet temperatures.
Quote:
Erm... You sure about that? If you've got two similar blocks, the flow resistance from them in parallell will be less than that for them in series. While this cuts the flow rate through the paralell blocks, it increases the system flow rate as a whole. If you split the flow at/after the CPU block then surely the CPU benefits from the increased flow while the GPU/NB/Other gubbins (which is less temperature sensitive) has reduced cooling.
This is all theoretical (I have yet to build a water cooled system) but it appears to make sense to me.
You're correct, although stupid. J/K, obviously. The CPU gains are small, if measurable.
Unread 05-03-2004, 11:21 AM   #94
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
i note that still omits the key to their overblown ratings... 40C differential over the air...
Really? 40C? Yow!
It's surprising to me that they bother to specify 6 l/min. I had the impression (from Bill Adams' Radiator Heat Dissipation Testing) that, above a certain fairly-small minimum, coolant flow didn't matter that much - particularly for the flat-tube radiators.
40C... so in a 68F room, the coolant would be 60C/140F? Of course, to the extent that you weren't trying to dissipate at their rated number, that temp should fall.
OK guys - you're totally right. There might be numbers, but they're not all the numbers and so qualify as "marketing-speak". Maybe they planned to remove these partial specs from all the web pages and the one I ran across was an oversight...
IMHO, folks choose these radiators (and the thermochill 120x1) because theyfit. I don't think a "real" set of performance curves would hurt sales at all - and would help with things like fan selection.
I've a couple of PCs "out there" with BIPs in 'em (coupled with Eheim 1046, Panaflo L1A at 5V, Swiftech "old style" center inlet blocks). For silencing a system, these work great (one of the above systems is in a recording studio - not on the same side of the glass as the mikes, but noise is still an issue).
Bob
PS: I'm a software guy who got into this because noise really bugs me...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #95
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure
Really? 40C? Yow!
It's surprising to me that they bother to specify 6 l/min. I had the impression (from Bill Adams' Radiator Heat Dissipation Testing) that, above a certain fairly-small minimum, coolant flow didn't matter that much - particularly for the flat-tube radiators.
40C... so in a 68F room, the coolant would be 60C/140F? Of course, to the extent that you weren't trying to dissipate at their rated number, that temp should fall.
OK guys - you're totally right. There might be numbers, but they're not all the numbers and so qualify as "marketing-speak". Maybe they planned to remove these partial specs from all the web pages and the one I ran across was an oversight...
IMHO, folks choose these radiators (and the thermochill 120x1) because theyfit. I don't think a "real" set of performance curves would hurt sales at all - and would help with things like fan selection.
I've a couple of PCs "out there" with BIPs in 'em (coupled with Eheim 1046, Panaflo L1A at 5V, Swiftech "old style" center inlet blocks). For silencing a system, these work great (one of the above systems is in a recording studio - not on the same side of the glass as the mikes, but noise is still an issue).
Bob
PS: I'm a software guy who got into this because noise really bugs me...
i believe it's a standard differential for domestic radiators (i.e. the ones in your central heating system) where 40C differential isn't quite so off the scale....
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:56 AM   #96
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Hey guys, what do you all think about the new DD Maze 4 chipset waterblock? I've been looking at it and I think it looks pretty nice. Plus it has a mounting option for the stupid chipset hooks on my mobo

*edit* BTW, I still can't get that heatercore cross reference site to work http://www.autopart.com/radiatorinfo/heatercoretech.htm. Is everyone having this problem or is it just me because I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by SnowRider; 05-05-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Unread 05-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #97
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

All I can say about the chipset block is: "It's about time." It has an incredibly low pressure drop, and cooling that is good enough for the chipset.
Unread 05-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #98
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRider
Hey guys, what do you all think about the new DD Maze 4 chipset waterblock? I've been looking at it and I think it looks pretty nice. Plus it has a mounting option for the stupid chipset hooks on my mobo

*edit* BTW, I still can't get that heatercore cross reference site to work http://www.autopart.com/radiatorinfo/heatercoretech.htm. Is everyone having this problem or is it just me because I'm doing something wrong.
works ok for me (on a 2-342) - could it be that the core you were looking at isn't in their database?
Unread 05-05-2004, 06:07 PM   #99
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
works ok for me (on a 2-342) - could it be that the core you were looking at isn't in their database?
Yeah it does work for you. I just tried that heater core (2-342) and it worked fine. Why is it that the only heater core I pick, out of that list of hundreds is the one they don't have . I thought I tried a different core before just too see if it worked and it didn't though hmmmmm...... that must've been before I knew what #'s to plug in.

*edit* Ok..... I just tried it with other core #'s and so far your's is the only one that actually brought up any results. What a helpful tool lol.

*another edit* I found some that work. It seems that most of the 2-700's don't work, grrrrrrr.

Last edited by SnowRider; 05-05-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Unread 05-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #100
SnowRider
Cooling Neophyte

While we're on the topic of heater cores I might as well ask..... does anyone know of a heater core that is equal to or a little less than these measurements - 11"L x 5 3/4"W x 2"D? The 5 3/4" measurement is really cutting it close because the core would have to fit in my upper drive bays which I'm sure all of you know are also 5 3/4". I'm basically looking for one that can fit two 120mm fans, and has both barbs on one end. So let me know if you know of one that is close to these sizes. Thx

Last edited by SnowRider; 05-05-2004 at 06:45 PM.