PDA

View Full Version : *GRrrrrrrrr* Marking stuff as read...

Marci
02-24-2006, 04:57 AM
I've noticed with every site that's up'd to vB3, as well as the IVB2.1 based sites out there (such as my own) that when you visit a site and then leave again, it marks EVERY post as read whether you've read em or not.

This is SERIOUSLY beginning to do my tree in. I came here 10 seconds ago, had a page of new posts. I hit the wrong button, lost the browser. Reopened, hit "New Posts" and get nothin, yet I hadn't read a bloody thing. At what point did Forum Software Writers all universally move to "New Posts since your last visit" instead of "Show Unread Posts". Was it the same time they decided to start inspecting their own rectal cavities close up? I even remember being able to go to UserCP and decide whether you wanted forum to mark everything as read when u left the site or only as you actually read them.

I miss more stuff on EVERY site these days due to this (seeing as everyone is running vBB3)... I'm not having a go at you Joe, just ranting about the authors, as like I said, I have this same uncurable arse-pain on over-clock.com forums which is invisionbaord based and it just plain pisses me off.

bigben2k
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I know what you mean.

I make sure that when I visit a site, that I:
a) log in right away
and
b) run the "new post" search, asap.

It's the only workaround that I know.

Dryadsoul
02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Yep, the new and improved net pain. Does it even matter in ones choice of browsers with this issue?

ProHandyman
02-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I have seen this behavior using both IE and Firefox. I too have become disillusioned with this behavior. Obviously deals somewhat with "cookies", but why?

I vice-admin (can't change code) a site, and moderate all forums... and the latest versions have even caught me... and that's not good! I don't need to be getting "instant mail notification" for every post on the forum! Yet this seems to be the only other way, other then the "search".

Marci
03-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Duh. I'm blind. Anyone else spot the "Live BookMark" RSS Feed icon at the right of the address bar in Firefox? Instant new-posts-history... problem solved here - jus' nowhere else! :)

bigben2k
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I see it now, but after I bookarked it, I then selected "open in tabs" which overidded all my open windows... I had to log back into *everything*.

Gonna take some getting used to, but it works well.