Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   SNAP 4000 Power Supplies (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13544)

Phoenix32 10-11-2006 12:25 AM

SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

Hey SNAP people, I am in need of a couple SNAP 4000 power supplies. I have a couple of SNAP 4000 units that the power supply units are weak and need replaced.

Now when I say weak, I am not saying that I have a need for some special application. I am saying these power supplies have gotten old and just do not have enough juice to fire up all 4 drives anymore (4 x 30 GB Quantum drives).

If you have one, two, or a source, I am begging you to pass the info on to me please. These two 4000 units are useless without them.

FYI, I already tried Northwest Tech. All they had was SNAP 2000 power supplies which are lower rated (about 60W, not enough for 4 drives either).

Hallis 10-11-2006 05:29 AM

Re: SNAP 4000 Power Supplies

That is going to be rather hard to find. The only thing i could think of is to fab something custom, but that might be a little easier said than done. You'd probably want to send Joe an email.

Shane

re3dyb0y 10-11-2006 10:56 AM

I found one from a random source

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/

I rang up, told him the voltage i needed, and the other stuff from the PSU, and he sorted it

One of the ones that they supply regularily

For my 2200

Model: PSA60W-120

And just needed a little round power adapter

http://www.watt-power.co.uk/Phihong/phihong.htm

Try emailing the specs to them, and see if they can find ought

Just get some more wattage

If you need a UK source if they wont send it to the US.... Im sure we can sort something out (ie i can help you ought)

Phoenix32 10-11-2006 02:40 PM

Thank you, I will see what they got...

Hallis 10-11-2006 03:24 PM

I'm also trying to source something from somebody i met through ebay. They m ight be able to get you OEM replacement.

Shane

re3dyb0y 10-11-2006 03:27 PM

From the Email i sent Pheonix32

Quote:

Ive just dug out the guide/catalogue I got at the time

Its down as 2002... Is it really 4 years since I sorted the snap server at my dads work.... How time Flies... May have been 2003... Will have to look for my first post - Did you know, I was the person to bring OS v4 to procooling... Lol

Mine is the PSA60W-120

12V Output Voltage

Load, min 0A, Max 4.16A, Power 50W Max, Ripple 120mV, +- 4%

There is also a PSA65U-120 - Max Load 5A... Possibly 60W

Due to it being 3 or 4 years ago now, and the fact that I didn’t buy the PSU myself, I don’t know the cost of it. I seem to believe it was £30, but no more than £50... It depends on VAT I think

I believe mine was originally made for a LCD monitor

http://www.wattpowersolutions.com/images/PSA60W.gif - That is mine - And below

http://www.wattpowersolutions.com/pr...04ee18e7a9416c

£22.33 (inc VAT) = $ 41.40

Sounds quite a bit cheaper than what I paid

I also needd a little adapter to make it fit.. Only a couple of quid from the same guy

I believe the original Snap Server 2200 PSU I had, was a 35W one... And this is 50W

The 4000 being rated at 120 watts... You probably want at least that then.. Maybe 150W?

Will have a look about to see if I can find one to fit, if not, I can email them for you, and try and find one, as they were very helpful!

Im willing to help you guys out if your stuck

Phoenix32 10-11-2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallis

I'm also trying to source something from somebody i met through ebay. They m ight be able to get you OEM replacement.

Shane

YES PLEASE! I am still looking for one...

Phoenix32 10-11-2006 04:22 PM

Thank you Sam. I am still researching (and using your info). I will not rest until both of these SNAPs are up and humming...

Hallis 10-11-2006 06:44 PM

Well, my OEM replacement source was a dead end. But they're trying, i believe, to manufacture a replacement. And might take it into production

re3dyb0y 10-12-2006 04:39 AM

This company has all sorts... Random stuff that will fit

Errm

Same as i have , but with a US supplier

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...2D858034B5E17F

blue68f100 10-12-2006 07:47 AM

Allied use to have a store/warehouse in the DFW area.

Phoenix32 10-12-2006 09:46 AM

Thank you for all the help guys. I will solve this... I refuse to give up... I am going to try an microATX I think first....

Phoenix32 10-12-2006 04:03 PM

I have in fact powered one of the 4000's up on an ATX power supply and it worked great. Now all I gotta do is get a power supply with the same board layout or similar to fit inside the case.

I also Spoke to NW Tech again today. They are going forward with those power supplies they are putting into a kit for the 4000. They have the rating and such, so should be a good thing when they become availble in a month or two.

Hallis 10-12-2006 09:07 PM

Andy did you happen to get a price from them on the PSU's they're making?

Phoenix32 10-12-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallis
Andy did you happen to get a price from them on the PSU's they're making?

They have not determined the price yet (I did ask)...

Phoenix32 10-29-2006 06:44 PM

UPDATE:

I have been able to replace one of the power supplies with a 250 Watt power supply. It looks just like the SNAP came from the facotry that way, stays cool, and provides plenty of clean power.

Bottom line, it can be done...

rpmurray 10-30-2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix32
I have been able to replace one of the power supplies with a 250 Watt power supply.

Pictures? Instructions?

Phoenix32 10-30-2006 11:14 AM

Pictures? Instructions? You mean you want me to do some work? And if I tell everyone, then I can't go into business doing it for them and charging them exuberant amounts of money for the task like several people on ebay did after they got all the info for hard disk upgrades they needed here on the forum.

Okay, Okay, I am just teasing, I am not that way. I will see what I can come up with. Might take me a while though, I still have a few projects in the works, but I will try to get to it. Anyone who is in need of how to do this before then, contact me directly in e-mail and I will try to help you out (and no I won't charge anything, lol). It's not too difficult in my opinion.

rpmurray 11-01-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix32
You mean you want me to do some work? And if I tell everyone, then I can't go into business doing it for them and charging them exuberant amounts of money for the task like several people on ebay did after they got all the info for hard disk upgrades they needed here on the forum.

Darn, you've discovered my secret plan to corner the 4000 power supply market on ebay. :D

Phoenix32 11-01-2006 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL

Here is what it looks like...

Before and after...

dandrews 11-12-2006 02:15 PM

Phoenix32... excellent solution. Can you tell me where you got the replacement supply? Hope I did not miss it in the thread. What is the model number. Like you I have a 4000 box laying dead here and need a supply. I was considering warting on an ATX supply and going that route but if I can put it inside the case that would be great. Thanks, Don

Phoenix32 11-12-2006 03:17 PM

In this case, it was an old AT power supply I had laying around for years. Sorry, I do not remember the model number but I think it doesn't matter based on how old that power supply was. I did test with an ATX power supply I had also and it worked fine.

The key here is to not go overboard. There will be some air flow over the power supply, but not near as much as it was when it was in the power supply case. So don't use a higher power supply. Stick with one that is in the 150 to 250 zone and has decent cooling sinks (and has 6 plus amps on the 12V rail).

Now I am not goign to BS you here on this and tell you it was simple. The mod itself is easy enough, but not simple. You will have to do some dremel metal cutting, some hole drilling, some wire cutting, and some desoldering and soldering (and rewiring if ATX). Nothing hard, but not just a simple pop in pop out deal either. It takes many hours to do it right. This mod is not for the average John Doe who does not know how to solder well or understand wiring diagrams. The whole point here was that it could be done.

If you still want to do it, contact me in e-mail or PM me here and I will try to talk you through it. Or, if it comes to it, I can do it for you for a price. No, I am not out to make money doing this, but there is enough involved in this mod project that my time has to be worth something. Or, if you decide it is not worth the cost and hassle, I am still looking for a SNAP 4000 unit and I would consider buying it.

Bottom line, it is an involved project and has it's risks and costs. But it can be done. I searched high and low, and I mean A LOT and had others I know in this field looking also. The very best I found was $75 and even then I had to beg and plead them to sell me one (if I had not been a tech and well connected, I would not have gotten that one). Most of the others that were anywhere near close to being a direct replacement were in the $150 plus zone, and even they might need a few mods to them.

In other words, 1) if you are a tech and feel comfortable doing this type of work and don't mind spending the time, or 2) have a serious need for more power than the OEM power supply can give, then this is a worth while mod. If not, then in my opinion 1) you are better off just replacing the 4000, 2) getting someone else to do it, or 3) waiting for NWTech to get their Kit completed. Also remember, you can kill your 4000 DEAD if you screw up.

NOTE: I cannot tell you the whole deal (they asked me not to), but the NWTech kit will be designed for most anyone to do it, but will require some minor mod work on your part. It will use 2 lower power supplies (not 1) and will have a toggle power switch on the back of the SNAP 4000 unit to turn it on and off. Knowing what I know, I would have to venture a guess the kit will be at least $75 but probably a little more, but that is just a guess on my part. Now you have all the facts I have and can make your own informed decision.

Phoenix32 11-23-2006 05:29 PM

dandrews,

How about an update, and maybe some pictures, of the power supply mod you did from my instructions? It might help someone else.

dandrews 11-24-2006 02:10 PM

I will try to get some pic's over the weekend.... wife has a list I am working down but will get to this before monday. The help I got helped so much that taking a pic or two to help someone else is easy money.

Phoenix32 11-24-2006 03:29 PM

Back before I retired from the military, we used to call those "honey do's".