Pro/Forums

Pro/Forums (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Xtreme Cooling (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Quad TEC Water Block (http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10178)

muffy 08-01-2004 11:05 PM

Quad TEC Water Block

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Quad TEC Water Block i went quad to gain electrical and hot side Efficiency

Groth 08-02-2004 02:09 AM

Two waterblocks and a couple heatsinks on a hotside plate? Funky.

kizzap 08-02-2004 07:41 AM

what temps?

hows the power bill?

freecableguy 08-21-2004 01:31 PM

How is this going to fit on a CPU? Looks like you are going to have some major interference problems.

jaydee 08-21-2004 04:55 PM

Interesting. Now how to mount the beast? Maybe better to make it an inline chiller instead.

HAL-9000 08-21-2004 09:28 PM

If you're not careful in design, you'll end up with most of those pelts cooling power just going to cooling the environment. The die is only so big, you know?

muffy 08-22-2004 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL-9000
If you're not careful in design, you'll end up with most of those pelts cooling power just going to cooling the environment. The die is only so big, you know?

i dont know what happend to my pic but .. the hole thing is not that much bigger than a standard p 4 heat sink . but yes some cooling will be lost

JFettig 11-28-2004 03:54 PM

Like jaydee said, make it into an inline chiller if you cant get it to fit, and even if it does fit an inline chiller might be better. If they are all 220w peltiers run them all at like 5v and you should be able to cool quite cool without consuming too much power, a 220 at 5v will consume about 7 or 8 amps and has cooled my old duron 1600@2400mhz(with bridge mod) down to 35C under load. CP was between 11 and 15c.

Jon

muffy 11-28-2004 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFettig
Like jaydee said, make it into an inline chiller if you cant get it to fit, and even if it does fit an inline chiller might be better. If they are all 220w peltiers run them all at like 5v and you should be able to cool quite cool without consuming too much power, a 220 at 5v will consume about 7 or 8 amps and has cooled my old duron 1600@2400mhz(with bridge mod) down to 35C under load. CP was between 11 and 15c.

Jon

like i said it fits straight on. see new pic....

Belenar 11-29-2004 02:22 AM

Maybe some detail pictures? =because it's quite hard to see the block mounting in this picture ;-)

muffy 11-29-2004 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belenar
Maybe some detail pictures? =because it's quite hard to see the block mounting in this picture ;-)

ok here you go

davekusa 11-29-2004 08:13 PM

fuggly. But how does it coooooool? temps? system info?

muffy 11-29-2004 10:08 PM

well it uses 4 T.E.C thremo electric coolers . they work by transfefring heat from one side to the other which means you can run below 0c with enough power. i went for 4 under powered TEC's to gain electrical efficiency ( other wise TEC use billings of watts ) and of cause more TEC should also mean lower temp with the use of more watts, it runs on 2 black ice extreme radiators and a 20cm X 22.5cm active heat sink ( which is also cooling the water ) . interestingly enough if i put one water block directly onto the CPU ( not using the TEC's ) my pc can run with NO fans running while playing quake 3.

in the post i replied to JFettig you can see the PSU's i used in the top 2 bays. if your wondering what all the led is for ( theres more you can't see ) other than make my pc more than 35 kg's it's because with all these high-ish watts running though my pc i was getting induced current, meaning all the voltages weren't stable, however the biggest reason for it was the flicker it put on the screen ( though induced current ) which meant i couldn't play my favourite games any more, cause it made me sick in about 20 minutes. so in went the led and now it's all sweet ass.

eXtenz 12-05-2004 08:26 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fuggly. But how does it coooooool? temps? system info?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...i would like to know this my self, what are you cpu temps with that?

muffy 03-20-2007 04:32 PM

Re: Quad TEC Water Block

Ok here’s an update 3 years later …
Os lets recap on the system the pc was a p4 2.53 OC and a Nvidia 4200 OC

The cooling system was two black ice extreme radiators which are 12x 4.5cm, with fans running at 7 volts. It also had 3 times 20cm x 7.5cm x 5.5cm heatsinks ( http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/H3406 ) from a previous system with VGA water blocks stuck to the bottom of them and one 12cm fan blowing on them as they were lined up next to each other. They were mounted to the top of the system. It had another VGA block on the GPU The water blocks are made by Silverpro. The pump was a Eheim 1046.

The TEC block had quad 80watt TEC’s with two Silverpro CPU coolers

As for temps @ idle it would cool it below 0 however if left for some time the water would heat up and the temps would increase. @ full load the problems were the same which made the hole system not worth the minimal decrease in temps in comparison to the draw backs of using heaps of electricity and significantly heating the room.

After completing the system there some improvement which could have been made to improve the system
1) The hot side is far to thick for having 2 coolers on it .
2) more radiators would always help
3) I should have used nylon screws between the hot and cold side and for mounting the hole thing to the cpu ( however this would have cost a bomb to import the screws from another country since I couldn’t find them in NZ )

Not surprisingly enough increasing the voltage over 12 ( 16.1 max ) didn’t decrease the CPU temps

bigben2k 03-21-2007 03:36 PM

Re: Quad TEC Water Block

Thanks for the update!