View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
snap-tech
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Comparing transfer rates with different RAM amounts

not much to say other than changing memory size has no real benefit on a snap. Snap doesn't need or lets say doesn't now what to do with the extra ram. The os was not written to take advantage of larger memory sticks.

as for the striping. it is 64kb / 128 sectors.

(which equals standard 128 sectors -- 65536 bytes x 512 bytes = 128 sectors)

damn, a 128mb stripe is huge.

although it would make my life in the world of data recovery a hell of a lot easier when recovering from a failed raid. That would mean that most files would not be striped across multiple drives.

as for transfer speeds. the best thing you can do is match everything.

if you force snap to 100full you need to force the switch port(if you can) as well and as well as the pc nic. while I was still supporting snaps I wrote a couple of programs that basically would do the following:

ask you where the files were located that you wanted to copy to or from snap, as well as how many, and then would create logs of the transfer and time down to the millisecond how long took to copy each file.

I would then run the same test over and over again each time changing something like forcing pc nic and not snap and so on. Then could study all the logs to see which configuration produced the best speeds.

it all came down to matching everything to each other.

I will also tell you that I ran the same tests between to pc's and 98% of the time I did not see much difference between pc's. unless I forced on nic to 10half and the other to 100full. Then of course it made a big difference. but if one was forced to 100 full and the other set to auto, there wasn't much difference. but that same senario can produce some amazing numbers when you throw a snap in the picture.

And not all drivers are created equal. even though you may not see any changes when transfering between to pc's with different drivers loaded for the nics. You can see it sometimes when again you throw a snap in the picture.

For example:

I found big issues if you let windows 2000 supply the driver for the 3c920 nic that is built on the motherboard like in alot of dells. but if you use the driver that dell supplies for the same nic there was no issue. but again, there was no issue between the dell and any other network device. Only when doing something with the snap was the issue seen.

ok, I have had enough of this. good luck, and just sit down, take a few hours and really do some good test. Keep track/notes of all changes----- AND, I CAN NOT SAY THIS ENOUGH ---- MAKE ONLY 1 CHANGE PER TEST. OR YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHICH CHANGE WAS THE ONE THAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!

Douglas Snap-Tech
snap-tech is offline   Reply With Quote