View Single Post
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #34
holzinet
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Unable to log into Snap 2000 from Vista

It seems, that I talk to myself

... but if somebody is interested in another idea to solve the problem with Vista, here is the last idea from me (I've ordered a terastation today and will try to sell my snap 2000 and 2200):

only a short and dirty explanation of my thinking:

what about this way:

- create only one big share at the snapserver and get sure, you are able to use the share from windows
- load and install truecrypt from http://www.truecrypt.org/ on your windows machine
- open truecrypt and format the networkdrive (the share from the snap) using truecrypt engine using your windows machine (ntfs maybe also possible)

after waiting some cups of coffee it should be ready to use, reboot snap, reboot windows and start truecrypt. after that try to mount the share.
now there should be a network share with ntfs, or am I wrong with this reflection?

IMPORTANT: at the moment there is no truecrypt version for vista!!!

I repeat: only a theory, don't know, if it works or will kill the snap, you should make a backup-image of your snapos before (like mentioned at wiki section).

another sollution should be, to mount the share to a samba-server at the network (which is running samba3). now you can access the share from windows by connecting to the samba-server and his mounted share. (same sollution like for active directory at snapos 3). But my linux server at home is connected with wlan, so this is no sollution for me because of the network traffic it will cause.
I had also no motivation to install samba at my linux-router (wrt54gs) to mount the snap share directy from the router and connecting samba share at the router from the windows machine.

would be happy about a short feedback

cu

Tino
holzinet is offline   Reply With Quote