View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #118
Roscal
Cooling Savant

We can't say that Eve's design have more surface area than a typical fin/pin design because the 2 waterblocks are different. Mine are 40*40*10 mm and Eve are ~55*50*15 mm. In this case, fins areas are near each other. Pressure drop are similar too, designs provide low pressure drop thanks to a lot of channels in parallel. My 0.3 mm fin version have 80% more surface and less pressure drop than 0.5mm version. Testing is the only way to go to compare them on each point. I don't like big WB because they are useless, heavy, take a lot of room, a lot of copper, etc. Small WB designs are more efficient generally (convective coeff in minchannels goes up for example) and it's easy to fit in a case (mine are only 120gr I believe and I could reduce it easily). The design should be always thinked to be the less restrictive and here it's the best design to have that.

An impingement is possible but my waterblock is too small to fit 3 barbs or 2 with one central, we need a different design. Impimgement isn't the ultimate solution, minichannels are very good without it, too long to explain why. My projects are to make much smaller and thinner WB again without loss of performance (core area is the limit)
Roscal is offline   Reply With Quote