View Single Post
Unread 07-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default Cut it Out??!!??

Ok after several solid weeks (hell years) of reviews with technical problems in them being posted and dissected here, I think we can all see the pattern:

1) Someone posts review here and points out inaccuracy
2) Rest of forum jumps on said review
3) Someone from that site comes here
4) Flamewar commences
5) Overall opinion of Procooling on the web is lowered
6) Lather, rinse, repeat

Is anyone tiring of this yet? I know that I am! Let's try something else ok? The occasional car wreck rubbernecking is ok, but this is like having a slaughterhouse with glass walls across from your porch!

It is clear that you guys have a much greater grasp of water cooling than the average person out there. Hell quite a few of you have a greater grasp of heat transfer theory than I do! But it isn't doing anyone any favors to have constant forum flareups like this. It's slowing me down from getting more productive work done on the site and it's alienating would-be readers. So here is what I propose:

How about it's understood that we think a review sucks and is without technical merit UNLESS we post it? That's right, all the water cooling reviewers of the world can just ASSUME that we believe their equipment is inaccurate, their tests were poorly designed, and their mother's a whore. When we see something posted that's actually GOOD or USEFUL though, we laud it and perhaps even send a hooker or two to the author.

Yes in a perfect world pointing out problems with a review will lead eventually to higher quality reviews and better education of consumers. Yes those are noble goals. Is it actually happening though, or are we just spinning our wheels, isolating ourselves, and getting increasingly frustrated.

I haven't had any of our advertisers complain, and in fact mfgrs are increasingly eager to have their products looked at by me and Procooling. So this isn't motivated by anything other than just a general sick feeling at the negativity that the site is sinking down to of late.

So how about this:

You can't do anything about system testing or generally uncontrolled conditions for water cooling reviewers. You can't make someone care about physics or math or anything else for that matter. You CAN raise the bar by showing how to properly do things properly yourself (and providing clear enough methods for the tests to be repeated by others).

We CAN do something about misinformation being spread around the web (gold having a higher thermal conductivity than silver; water staying in radiator a longer time with low flow means it performs better, there is a cooling advantage to small tubing, it doesnt matter if you add additional blocks to a "low flow" loop, etc etc. I can, and will, revive my "Cooling Myths" editorial section and update it whenever I get another submission. Those articles DO point out flaws and inaccuracies in other site reviews, but they seemed to do so without the inevitable flame wars that come from this forum all the time. We can have a sticky where you guys link inaccuracies and factually incorrect quotes and then I/we deal with them.

But "this review is just shitty" while probably accurate is rarely ever helpful.

It's your forum as much (maybe more) than mine, so if I am way off base here then just tell me to shut the **** up. But from my perspective this is getting old and my preference would be to move on and forward and be more positive.