Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-14-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Default My monitor shakes, anybody know why?

I have a Viewsonic G70f Graphics Series monitor and it shakes no matter what resolution I put it on. If I put it on like 800x600 it takes a while before it starts shaking. I like to use 1024x768 or 1152x864, and it shakes horribly in both of them.

It doesn't shake so bad that I can't use it, but it shakes back and forth about 1 or 2 pixels every time it refreshes itself (75 times a second) and it gets VERY annoying. Anybody know why it does this?

If I wasn't a Gamer I'd get an LCD but I do play games, so I can't get one.

Any suggestions?
Phant0m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #2
winewood
Cooling Savant

It sounds like you may have electromagnetic interference. Try placing your unit on the floor or away from anything you have on the desk. ALSO try plugging it into a different outlet. Some outlets are not properly grounded or have alot of garbage effecting the current. Try to plug into a different breaker alltogether.

Oh, and some 17'" lcds are perfect for gaming.. you just have to find the right ones.
Unread 08-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
joemac
Cooling Savant

Phant0m51 I had the same problem once. At the time my computer was too close to my monitor. I moved the two apart and the trouble went away. If that is not the case then check your cable. If all else fails at least LCD price are droping.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Think speakers. Those magnets can't be too good, eh?
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Ok, I've tried it in different outlets (I went to a LAN party and it did the same thing there). I don't have speakers, just headphones. My computer and monitor are about 2 feet apart, diagnaly. The bottom left corner of my monitor is 2 feet away from the top right corner of my Case.

Any other ideas? Maybe it's just the monitor, eh?
Unread 08-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Try a different power cord. Otherwise take it back to where you bought it.

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Any wireless gear? That can cause interference. Perhaps your case IS too close. What material is it made of?
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 08-15-2003, 11:20 AM   #8
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

My case is a standard Metal case, but the top of it has an additional layer of plastic with a handle on it, so you can carry it around.

I don't have any wireless gear in my house.

My other Viewsonic monitor is doing the same thing, but it's alot worse than mine. Maybe it's just the Viewsonic brand, because my brother is using a different companies monitor (can't remember who, may be sony) and his doesn't shake like the 2 viewsonics do.
Unread 08-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #9
N8
Cooling Neophyte

If both of your monitors are doing this, then you probably have a bad electrical socket(s), poor grounding, or a magnetic field near the monitor location, etc. Just because you plug things into separate sockets, doesn't mean they are isolated. Many sockets in the same room or adjoining rooms are all wired together on the same circuit, and will all have problems.

If you have any type of magnetic field present near the monitor, it will also cause jiggle. Magnetic fields could be caused by power cord wiring (try rearranging your wiring), water pumps, unshielded speakers, and various other electrical gadgets around the house.
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Viewsonic monitors are outstanding. That isn't the issue. To test, swap his monitor in for one of yours and see what happens.
Unread 08-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #11
winewood
Cooling Savant

make sure your going to a different breaker. two different plugs in the same room wont do it.
Unread 08-15-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
BrianW
Cooling Savant

You could also try a line conditioner.

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
Unread 08-15-2003, 06:17 PM   #13
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

I like this 'Line conditioner' Idea...Where can I get one, and how much do they run? If it's not too expensive, I'll just buy one and see if it works.
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #14
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Best Buy. Or you can try pricewatch.com , for a competitive price. Google it.

BrianW

Unread 08-24-2003, 07:22 PM   #15
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Ok, well guess what...I think it IS the lines. I went to another LAN party yesterday, and my monitor didn't shake at all. I'm just going to have to buy a Line Conditioner.

I have a question about my PSU on my current case. It has the normal plug, for the wall. But it has another, Female plug on it, so I can plug something else into it. Anybody know what it the hell that thing is used for? Redundant PSU or something?
Unread 08-24-2003, 07:41 PM   #16
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Usually to plug in your monitor.

BrianW

Unread 08-24-2003, 09:00 PM   #17
winewood
Cooling Savant

It doesn't sound like you tried the other breaker idea. Run an extension chord to a different plug in a different part of the house. If the shake goes away, you know what your problem is. No more guessing. Then you could spend the money you would spend on a line conditioner on a new breaker box.
Unread 08-26-2003, 09:04 AM   #18
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

My house is 20+ years. Who's to say that the wiring itself isn't all screwed up? I'll try a different breaker, but I'll probably get a line conditioner anyway.
Unread 08-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #19
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

That plug is for your monitor, but is just a pass-through. It wouldn't help you at all, unless you were to use a single line conditioner for them both.