Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
shyet
Cooling Neophyte

Default MCP600 and highlighter fluid

I've read a post in ocforums that Swiftech does not recomment using dye with the MCP600. I've contacted Swiftech twice a week ago about this and did not get a response. I currently use highlighter fluid in my system and I just received my MCP600 from UPS. Can I use highlighter fluid or not?

Thanks
shyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

"I've contacted Swiftech twice a week ago about this and did not get a response."
untrue
response sent 4/15

no colorants containing pigments
NO, I have no idea if that brand (or any other) contains pigments
Sorry

Regards, Bill Adams

Swiftech (562) 595-8009
Bill.Adams@swiftnets.com http://www.swiftnets.com
unquote
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
shyet
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks, sorry I didn't check my other email.
Unread 04-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
shyet
Cooling Neophyte

Okay turns out Accent highlighters contain pigments, propylene glycol and glycerin.
So if you have the MCP600, don't use accent highlighters!
Now I need to flush my system before I install my MCP600.

Does anyone know which highlighters do not contain pigments?

Last edited by shyet; 04-19-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Unread 04-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Butcher
Thermophile

Do uv water dyes like dye-lite contain pigments?
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

I would ask, don't know if BillA will answer, exactly WHY the prohibition and what is the failure mechanism if that is the reason? I am purely speculating here, but my understanding is that aside from running on 12V, there isn't anything that spectacularly different between the Swiftech pump and other good quality units.

So I don't see what the problem is that would make Swiftech pumps sensitive to pigments, but not other brands of pumps. (Or do other brands also prohibit pigments?) It does occur to me that the reason may simply be that the pumps aren't tested with pigments, and Swiftech doesn't want to take any chances on pumps run with untested stuff (do they restrict other materials as well?)

If the pigment prohibition is common to many brands of pumps, then the answer may be the same as you get when doing almost any other mod - void the warranty....

Gooserider
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I believe that you'll find that the term "pigments" may refer to colors that can become a solid within a loop. Also, many pump manufacturers may tell you the same information, but only if you ask them.

Also, some pumps are different, even within the same manufacturer. With my LGPC 2-MDQ-SC, which is a true mag drive, the issue may not be as important, but with my Johnson CO30P5-1, which is a direct drive, the pigment solids may very well get lodged within the bearing (if it's indeed a bearing!).

To my knowledge, all highlighters contain pigments (hence why you can see it!). The UV feature, if present, would be an add-on.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:06 PM   #8
shyet
Cooling Neophyte

I bought this blue UV dye from SVC over 6 months ago and haven't opened the bottle in like 4 months. Now when I shake the bottle and look closely, I can see some solids in there, it kinda looks like paper shredded into very tiny pieces. Is this that pigment crap?

There has to be some kind of highlighter fluid or UV dye that does not contain pigments because the Swiftech Hydrx is UV reactive though it does not glow as bright as most dyes.

Does our urine have pigments? If not, could we take some high quality multivitamins and take a jizz in our systems? Just a thought.

Last edited by shyet; 04-19-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Body fluids aside...

There's a blue UV dye out there somewhere that's clear in normal daylight. Wasn't it DTEK Customs that sold it?

Yep...:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=44
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 04:27 AM   #10
Jabo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyet

Does our urine have pigments? If not, could we take some high quality multivitamins and take a jizz in our systems? Just a thought.
D00de, you can pi$$ all over your machine if you like!
Make sure you document it well with some pictures and home made video footage - I am quite sure you gonna be the first one to do it and may even be able to make some money out of it (pervs market).
I know! Got a suggestion for you m8! Drink lots of medical radioactive marker and then pi$$ into your machne's cooling loop - it is going to glow pretty damm good if you drink nuff of it!

Enjoy!
Jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Gooserider
(were you paid by a competitor to pose this question ? jk, jk)

the particles build up on the bearing surfaces and greatly reduce the coolant flow over these surfaces
(note the various grooves on the shaft and Ryton thrust bearing in the MCP600 pump head)
-> decreased coolant flow will increase the heat/wear rate

note that users are quite free to add whatever they wish to the coolant, we just ask that these users not abuse the RMA function (hence the warranty disclaimer)
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #12
Gooserider
Cooling Savant

No Bill, I thought it up all by my lonesome... The prohibition just seemed odd to me considering that the pump seems targeted towards the enthusiast market, and at least some enthusiasts like to add bling bling color to their loops. (I've never understood the reasoning behind wanting lights and windows, let alone die jobs - they don't make a system cool better, OC more, or make less noise - whats the point? I'd rather spend the money on better kit)

I haven't studied pump warranties, but I've never heard of such a restriction. It would also make me concerned because an awful lot of anti-corrosives, anti-freezes, and biocides contain coloring of some sort, would they also be prohibited? I hear good things about the Swifty pumps, but if they are that delicate?

I would rather have a pump that can tolerate a certain amount of crud - anything intended for a pond or aquarium needs to be able to handle small amounts of particulate matter because it will be in the water (certainly larger particles than a good die would have). Hopefully a loop would be cleaner but I could still see possible contamination issues, and I wouldn't want a pump that was overly sensitive to them.

Gooserider
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #13
Pug
Cooling Neophyte

I used to use highlighter fluid in my loop till I started noticing a tidemark in my res window.
I cracked my Eheim open to see this kind of build up, so I stopped using it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpDye.jpg (72.6 KB, 97 views)
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:30 AM   #14
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooserider
. . . . .
I would rather have a pump that can tolerate a certain amount of crud - anything intended for a pond or aquarium needs to be able to handle small amounts of particulate matter because it will be in the water (certainly larger particles than a good die would have). Hopefully a loop would be cleaner but I could still see possible contamination issues, and I wouldn't want a pump that was overly sensitive to them.

Gooserider
lots of aquarium pumps should suit your needs then

for others,
the 'position' of Swiftech is simple: additives adding junk to the coolant loop are not going to be recommended
and this includes particulate pigments, algaecides, and even such things as Water Wetter; which, while not causing a reliability problem, does deposit a slime which is not helpful
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
lots of aquarium pumps should suit your needs then

for others,
the 'position' of Swiftech is simple: additives adding junk to the coolant loop are not going to be recommended
and this includes particulate pigments, algaecides, and even such things as Water Wetter; which, while not causing a reliability problem, does deposit a slime which is not helpful
i take it HydrX is slime free? does it stain?
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #16
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

yes, HydrX does not contain any oil;
and it does not stain tubing (if that was the question)
Unread 04-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #17
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
yes, HydrX does not contain any oil;
and it does not stain tubing (if that was the question)
cheers
yep that's what i meant.

it seems way superior to any others (unless you don't like green of course.....)
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #18
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooserider

.... then the answer may be the same as you get when doing almost any other mod - void the warranty....

Gooserider
This is SOP when building most custom modded rigs. :shrug: I see Bill's or Swiftech's answer as SOP as well. I'm sure build up is going to happen in many/most other pumps as well. :shrug:

First time I've ever seen use of body fluids considered!
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #19
Titan151
Cooling Savant

this post is a little late to actually get read. That said I have found that using the gel inside of a gel pen works well. I left a glass of the mixture on the counter for like 4 days and never saw any build up of solids or stains on the glass. So into th e system it went. Looked good. Only got the UV reactive action from the orange, green, and yellow pens.
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2004, 02:31 AM   #20
shyet
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
this post is a little late to actually get read. That said I have found that using the gel inside of a gel pen works well. I left a glass of the mixture on the counter for like 4 days and never saw any build up of solids or stains on the glass. So into th e system it went. Looked good. Only got the UV reactive action from the orange, green, and yellow pens.
The blue UV reactive dye I bought from SVC started to have buildup after 6 months.
Unread 09-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #21
babybunny
Cooling Savant

I got a pack of two generic Bridgeport highlighters for 25 cents the other day at Big Lots. Would you guys say extracting and mixing the highlighter fluid with water and then waiting to see if there are particulates would be a good way to find out if it's safe for the MCP650?
babybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 02:36 AM   #22
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyet
HAHAHA

S*** like this catches me totally off guard at 3:30 in the morning. Who the hell thinks of stuff like this?
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote