Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-24-2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Spinoza
Cooling Neophyte

Default to much weight?

I'm putting together a Tyan Thunder system. I'm cooling it with two swiftech water blocks. Each block weighs like 2 pounds. The system is going into a lian-li PC-70. Do you think that's too much weight to have the board up on it's side? That's a ton of weight to hang off a mainboard. Suggestions?
jig of RAM
http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~vito/complete.jpg
Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2001, 05:09 AM   #2
lancelh
Cooling Neophyte

The new AMD boards have 4 holes next to the CPU socket. If your board has this you should use them. I haver a Danger den Maze 2 and the whole unit weighs around 3 1/2 pounds they use the wholes to mount you'll get the idea. I can't imagine why you want 2 water blocks on that thing anyway. Buy a maze 2 it comes with the brackets and it will cool a hell of a lot better. www.dangerden.com
Unread 07-01-2001, 05:12 AM   #3
lancelh
Cooling Neophyte

Duh because it's a Dual board
Unread 07-01-2001, 01:45 PM   #4
chefmws
Cooling Neophyte

a maze2 weighing 3 1/2 pounds?..
thats 56 ounces... i seriously doubt that weight is correct. the size of a peice of copper that has been milled out to weigh 56 ounces would be much larger than the deminsions of a maze2.
didn't mean to flame anyone but making a random unsupported claim on weight could scare some people from using a watercooled system.
i would be very surprised if the maze2 weighs over 1 pound. i just ordered one from dd along with a chipset block and the entire shipment was less than 2.5 pounds.
Unread 07-01-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
GuyBFF
Cooling Savant

According to the shipping page of Danger Den, the Maze 2 Block is 1.1 pounds. I would say it ways more full of coolant though (and with hoses hanging full of coolant). Not to much because of great holddowns, just don't try any one story drop tests.
Heater Core Style Rad
Thunderbird 1400 (Soon Barton)
512mb PC2700 CL2
Promise SX4000 Raid 5 w/256mb PC133 Cache
4x40gb Western Digital 7200hdd
Plus More...
GuyBFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2001, 06:56 PM   #6
Spinoza
Cooling Neophyte

Reply to own post:
For the first guy... The swiftech blocks only mount through the new 4 hole mounting specification. I guess I'll just put the thing together and see what happens. if it looks too weak I'll lay it on its side or something. out...
Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote