Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Nijoe
Cooling Neophyte

Default Anodization

I purchased an al aluminum radiator at car junk yard 2 days ago. All my blocks are copper, so im thinking of anodizing the rad. I'm unfamiliar with the process so i need some help. As I get it, i'd need sulphuric acid, cathode, a tub, and a source of 12 V DC power.
What i want to know is how long am i to keep the rad in tank so it doesnt get eaten by the acid completely?
It's a 23x16x4 cm rad. I'll post pictures when i get my camera.
Nijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Default Re: Anodization

skip such
boil it out in distilled water; and use 25% antifreeze with distilled water for use
(boiling in tap water will kill it)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
mx
Cooling Neophyte

First I have to warn you, Al and Cu don't mix well even if it's anodized and you use anti-corrosive liquids in the water. If you're running a storm or some other block with narrow jets/channels, save yourself the trouble and look for another rad or another block since it will clog up pretty fast.

Google it!
You should really research the topic before you start mixing acids with strong electricity or it could blow up in your face.

Aluminum reacts with air and builds up a skin, kinda like natural anodization. Thats why it loses its shine after a while. You need to remove this layer before you anodize or it wont work very well. Since you can't just sand it away you'll have to get some strong chemicals to clean it. You need to do this just before you anodize it or will build up a new layer and mess up the anodization.

Anodizing at home isn't very hard if you just want to change the color of something. But you want a really good anodization thats durable, not just a new color. I suggest that you hire a pro with the right equipment and knowledge. It will probably be cheaper than buying all the chemicals and you'll get a durable anodization.

If you still want to anodize at home, I suggest that you practice on other parts before you do the rad, use lots of anti-corrosive stuff like zerex in the loop and change water and clean the system often.
mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Nijoe
Cooling Neophyte

Re: Anodization

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx
Google it!
You should really research the topic before you start mixing acids with strong electricity or it could blow up in your face.
I researched, but didn' come up with anyone anodizing their rad (good links for anodizing motorcycle parts at home, though ). Anyway, id can be done fairly good at home, but than again, radiator is a bit more intricate in design... I was just hoping someone has done it before me. Still don' know if it's worth to bother with it
Nijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

I guess it would be harder to get the anno inside the rad.

I think its a waste of money unless you got a spare plastic container, dc psu or battery charger, sulfric acid, maybe some lye to remove any old anno or remove surface impurities, Al wiring for negative and positive lead, and some additional stuff.

You don't need to dye it because that just for color. That means you need SS or spare pot to boil some water and rite dye to color the rad.
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
metarinka
Cooling Neophyte

unless you really want to do it yourself, I imagine you could get it done by a shop for much cheaper than the setup costs with home anodization.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote