Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
killernoodle
Thermophile

Default Whats the problem?

My comp recently died, couldnt figure out what happened because it happened a few minutes after flashing the bios of my Infinity. So, I thought I fried the mobo somehow because the comp wouldn't start, it just flashed the lights a few times on the front, then stopped that and just kept on without doing anything. I ordered a new Infinity (this is my third mind you) and it worked once and is now showing the same symptoms. I turn the system on and the HDD led is solid, the CD roms are solid, then they all just turn off and the comp sits there with the power button on. It did turn on once, showed the bios, but then I had to restart it and it just sat there. Just like in the previous DFI death, resetting all the bios settings to default had no avail. Now I'm worried that it is either my CPU or 9800pro, but I doubt it for some reason.

If I pull the molex out of the 9800, it should display an error on booting, would this reveal anything?

If I pull the CPU out and try to boot it, should it just sit there?

Should I put in a speaker and see if there are error beeps?

This is confusing the hell outta me... I really need some advise. Thanks in advance!
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
Nightfall
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
If I pull the molex out of the 9800, it should display an error on booting, would this reveal anything?

If I pull the CPU out and try to boot it, should it just sit there?

Should I put in a speaker and see if there are error beeps?

This is confusing the hell outta me... I really need some advise. Thanks in advance!
Plug the speaker into the headers on the motherboard and see if it gives you a series of beeps having everything plugged in normally. You can verify what the beeps mean by either looking in the manual or going to DFI's website (should be on there). Have you tried putting your proc into somebody elses machine to see f it boots. Another possibility is that if it turns on then off right away the proc isn't getting properly cooled; ensure that you have a thin layer of some thermal adhesive and the HSF is mounted properly. Let me know how it goes
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

PSU power?
Check your agp/pci cards are seated properly
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
killernoodle
Thermophile

Problem solved, itself....

Dont you think it is weird when you leave a computer alone unplugged for a few hours later and it works fine the nex time you turn it on... like nothing was wrong? As long as it makes me happy. Perhaps the comp just needed a vacation for a while? :shrug:
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:58 AM   #5
Nightfall
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Problem solved, itself....

Dont you think it is weird when you leave a computer alone unplugged for a few hours later and it works fine the nex time you turn it on... like nothing was wrong? As long as it makes me happy. Perhaps the comp just needed a vacation for a while? :shrug:
I would still be pretty leary of the machine Maybe run a few tests to ensure everything is okay. I.E. run memtest, download motherboard monitor and check to make sure your temps are okay, maybe run 3dmark 03 in a loop (overnight) after checking the other two options, ect.
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
cristoff
Cooling Savant

Did you check the ram? My ram just all of a sudden stopped working in my pc... switched it out... works in another computer and mines fine...

Sometimes stuff just happens... check the ram though. I thought it was my mb, chip or vid card.
Unread 08-31-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
Nightfall
Cooling Savant

Forgot to mention that SiSoft Sandra has a burn-in feature... or better yet test stability by folding for procooling with that machine
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
killernoodle
Thermophile

The system is plenty stable now, it actually clocks higher now... which is kinda odd. It starts up now every time, has been folding all night, it has a few air bubbles which are kinda annoying, but seems to be fine now.
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:58 PM   #9
LPorc
Cooling Neophyte

Sounds similar to a problem I had a while back. Turned out to be an otherwise OK hard drive that sometimes didn't want to spin up to speed without pulling way to much juice (especially when it was still warm and stopped!), enough that the MB would fail to boot and hold the ATX PS-on line steady. Machine would hit the beep during boot, then power off leaving the power light on, a kind of half-way emergency shutdown.

It's actually this kind of HDD issue that has me working HDD cooling into my setup. On the one hand, it's not strictly needed, on the other hand I've got fast spinning drives that will hopefully spin continuously for several years at a time - so a few degrees operating temperature will make a significant MTBF difference.

Funny thing was the same drive would do ok with a different MB 99% of the time. Apparently that MB was better able to maintain its voltages than the other. Might have been cheap Chinese caps on the board that had the most trouble with it.
LPorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
Cathar
Thermophile

The problem is that you keep buying DFI...

Sorry - I couldn't resist. After my horrific experiences with the board - I was shocked that these things actually cost more than other boards. Working to solve issues with a motherboard should not be that difficult, nor should problems be that plentiful, not should they recur across different boards.

They are a faulty product IMO, plain and simple. The few people that have never experienced any problems really are quite rare.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote