Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

Default DD Maze3 P4 or Swiftech MCW462-UH....????

Lo fellas..:!

This is my first post in this forum.

Have been into both liquid and phasechange cooling a little while.
My last rigg contained a vapochill/Chieftach dragon modd...and befor that a water setup using Eheim 1250, DD Maze2 and Swiftech Rad 676.
As off my last rigg..I got tierd of heavy, bulky and loudy riggs.

So my goal now is to build a water rigg to my P4 and still keep it as quiet as possible.

My rigg will look aproxymatly like this:

Eheim 1048

Black Ice Extreme

Cpu block (have a hard time to decide)

Gpu block (if I go DD I´ll use there GF4/Radeon block and if I go Swiftech I´ll use the MCW50)

Chipset block (trying to find any that fitts)

Now to my questions:

1. As the topic says..wich one would you go for DD Maze3 P4 1/2" or Swiftech MCW462-UH..any big difference in performance.
Have read some rewievs...but want your opinion since you guys are suposed to be the topnotch in water riggs

2. Have been looking for a block to my chipset Intel 845E on my IT7Max...but looks like there isn´t anyone since it doesn´t have any mounting holes. Does anyone of you fellas have any ideas or suggestions..?

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
512mb TwinMos PC3200@222mhz
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
[NH]Naughtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

Anyone..wanna help me out..??????

I can add to your info that I wont be using any Pelt/TECs ...just pure water.

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
Unread 01-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well, first off, you're in the wrong Forum, unless you're making your own waterblock.

2: if you're considering a BIX, you don't need any help. Consider switching for a heatercore.

CPU block: Is price an issue? Do you mind an international order? Did you see Swiftech's latest?

GPU block: I don't believe that one is significantly better than another, but hey, that's just me, keeping it cheap.

Chipset block: if you don't have any mounting holes, you'll be stuck using thermal epoxy, which is OK.

Many tips to keep it quiet, name your noise!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 04:36 AM   #4
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

OK...well I´m sorry for posting in the wrong forum...did´nt really know where tp post it. I needed help with water blocks and this part of the forums was about waterblocks....so I hoped for this one to be right.

bigben2k:
1: thnkx for your input...I really only needed your opinion on these to blocks.
But since you mentioned it....whats wrong with the BIX??...you said if I consider the BIX I wont need any help.....exactly what do you mean by this..??
I have been reading around this forum a little while..and yes I have seen you sugest the "heatcore" many times...but I thought since I´m not gonna build a pelt/tec system....the BIX will do just fine.

2. About the gpu blocks....as I said...I ´d rather prefer to use blocks from the same manufacturer..DD cpu block-->DD gpublock .... Swiftech cpu-->Swiftech gpu block. Mabye you think I´m stupid here...but thats the way I want it.
You asked if I mind ordering international...NO I don´t ...you have any sugestions..??

3. About the chipset...I have been thinking about useing thermal grease...think thats the way it´s gonna be...thnx alot.

4. And finally...what I meant about keeping it quiet... was compared to my vapor riggs...I want to keep it as quiet as possible...lownoice fans...useing a fanbus....keep the HDD as quiet as possible e.t.c.. e.t.c. This I already have solutions for....but thnx anyway.

Apreciate your inputs....any idea is helping....thnx again.

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
Unread 01-18-2003, 05:49 AM   #5
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

1) the bix is in my opinion; higly overpriced. there's no fun in buying something that costs 4 x more than a standard issue dtek heatercore, or 8 x more than what u harvest from a car junkyard. even more if the performance is mediocre as opposed to the heatercore solution. the build style is almost the same between HC and BIX; just the surface area is king here. if u got a HC that hardly has more surface area than a large aircooler... than u will have to use relatively loud fans to cool adequately.
so, if it is performance u want or silence; it all gets better with a HC

2) as BillA points out, the regular U version of swifty seems to outperform the UH against all odds. if u read other reviews the UH seems to perform at about the same as maze3 ( a good mount will get u better temps than another block)

3) for gpu and NB i don't thk it is necessary to watercool. get an old cpu heatsink and glue it on either, and u will get as good temps, no sound, and alot less cable clutter.

4) if silence is golden, than u need surface area on that heatercore, or get used to temps in the lower 50°C's.
Unread 01-18-2003, 08:19 AM   #6
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

OK guys....I hear you....you really think HC is "THE THING"....but here´s the thing for me....I got this BIX for less then half the price a new one cost here in sweden. Have also been looking around for HC...can´t find any resellers. So I´m sorry to say...I´ll STICK WITH THE BIX...even though you don´t like it.

Now...about the blocks..the issiue I wanted help with from the start.
Sounds intersting that the U outperforms the UH...I mean UH has 1/2" fittings...shouldn´t that give some extra eficensy with the water flow.

Anone have some nice rewievs around about this...???

Also as I said in previous posts if anyone knows any other manufacturer of any other good blocks...then I´m all ears...don´t mind ordering international.

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
Unread 01-18-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by [NH]Naughtyboy

Now...about the blocks..the issiue I wanted help with from the start.
Sounds intersting that the U outperforms the UH...I mean UH has 1/2" fittings...shouldn´t that give some extra eficensy with the water flow.

Anone have some nice rewievs around about this...???
The info on the the U vs UH is in this article by BillA. (Chart 4 to be specific.) This is lab testing data, not a review, though.

In short, because (for a given flowrate) the water hits the baseplate at higher velocity with a smaller inlet, the cooling is better with the U.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

No harm done, the moderator should move this thread where it belongs.

I won't go over the "BIX vs HC": g.l.amour covered it, plus it's a component that you already have, so nothing can be done here (but you could re-sell it, and get yourself a HC. Your choice).

I do understand that if you are going to buy a CPU and GPU block, you would rather order them from the same manufacturer: it will save you on shipping cost to Sweden, so nothing stupid here. If I had to choose between those two, cost not being an issue, I would opt for the Swiftech, especially the new 5000 model. On the other hand, you could check out DTEK: they have everything you need (including a HC). Alternatively, you could find that reseller in the UK that carries the Maze line, and save yourself a lot of hassle from having to order from the USA.

As I stated before, if you name your noise, we'll give you tips to eliminate it.

Best of luck.

Last edited by bigben2k; 01-20-2003 at 07:26 PM.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #9
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

OK..fellas....I really apreciate all yout help.

Think I have decided to go for the Swifty combo cpu, gpu and some kind of chipset block.

As of the BIX...I´m still gonna gp for the BIX...BUT...I have considered changing it...and I time I will trie out a HC.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k As I stated before, if you name your noise, we'll give you tips to eliminate it.[/b]
Well I would very much like to keep it somewhere around 25db....I know it´s hard mesaure the sound...and all that...but at least some thing to go for.

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
Unread 01-18-2003, 07:56 PM   #10
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

if u got the space; why don't u mount the BIX + HC (parallel, serial ... u name it) then no WB ever gonna touch the performance u got with em 2 rads.

Last edited by g.l.amour; 01-19-2003 at 12:41 PM.
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2003, 11:14 AM   #11
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

Hmmm...sounds tempting...

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy
3Com TX 10/100
220gb hdd
Unread 01-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
[NH]Naughtyboy
Cooling Neophyte

OMFG....wierd how things in life can take turns.
I have just bought my self a hole other setup than I first ment to.

Now I know that you all can give me 1000 off reasons to not buy this stuff..and that there are things that are better. But I´ll give this a try.
I know I first said I wouldn´t go for peltier/TEC...but I just couldn´t resist this offer.

Rad: 2xBIX

Cpu block: Swiftech MCW478-UHT 1/2 226W TEC

Gpu block: Swiftech MCW50-T GF4/Radeon 80W TEC

Chipset block: Wich ever I can get.

PSU: Swiftech S-320-12

Windows XP
Ilyama 19"
P4 2.4b @ 3014ghz
Abit IT7 MAX
Radeon 9700 Pro
SoundBlaster Audigy