Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 01-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Brando457
Cooling Neophyte

Default question about black ice project

I plan on buying the YY case from directron.com that you ve used in your black ice project and was planning on modding it the same way. I just wanted to know what size blowholes you put on the top of the case and if you know where i could get some lights to go around the bottom to give it the alien glow.

Thanks in advance
Brando457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Hey dude what's up. There were 120mm holes on the top. I thought I talked about that. Maybe you didn't see all of the articles...
I got the light (cold cathode) from www.pcmods.com, but now pretty much every online store sells them so just shop around for deals. I'm not sure if you saw all of the articles detailing what went on with the project. Check them out and if you still have questions, you know where to find me .
-Kev
Unread 01-30-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Kevin

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...art_1-mods.php
That's part I

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...rost_updat.php
That's part II

Let me know if you still have questions.
Unread 02-01-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Brando457
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for the reply.

I also was wondering if you'd recommend using a holesaw or a dremel for the top blowholes.

I m a 1st time modder, but planned to make my case like you have except the watercooling.
I guess great minds think alike

where did you purchase yours from ? I ve found it at directron.com only.

is there some way to switch the psu from bottom to the top

how did u run the mobo power cable through the chamber
thanks again

thanks
Unread 02-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
Kevin

I got mine at www. servercase.com a LONG time ago. I'm not sure if they sell it there, but I remember it was slightly cheaper there than Directron.

As far as switching the psu, I'm sure it's possible, but you're talking about doing a lot of cutting and then filling the spot where the psu was supposed to go. Plus you'd have to install some sort of reinforcing brackets to hold the power supply up.

There's a little bit of space at the top between the motherboard and componenet chamber. There's room for a mobo power cable for sure.
-Kev

GOOD LUCK! Give me pics when you're done!
Unread 02-01-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Brando457
Cooling Neophyte

Will do.

I wont be purchasing hte case to mod for a month or so since I have to save all my lunch money lol

Mind answering question about the holesaw or dremel for blowhole?
Unread 02-01-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

no doubt, dremel or wholesaw. if u don't have the practice then u better get some.

after about 2metres of dremeling holes and straight lines, the blowholes i now make are right about perfect. so if that case is a couple of months worth of lunchmoney, better get some scrap plating to practice on.

the best advice i can give you is to take your time. i know that if u find that case in the mail one day, u want it up and running the same day. well, try not to be like me, and do it slowly
Unread 02-01-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If you use a hole saw, remember to use oil (or you'll strip the saw quickly)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #9
Brando457
Cooling Neophyte

looks like daddies getting a dremel lol i have a case i paid like 65 dollars for downstairs to mess around with for practice and my antec soho fileserver 1080 amg here if needed

thanks for feedback
Unread 02-02-2003, 07:32 PM   #10
Brando457
Cooling Neophyte

good news for me

O k after estimating some figures for case and all i ve figured i ll need around 500 $ US.

This covers case, window, holesaw to make blowhole, arbor for the holesaw, dremel, fan grills, lubrication for holesaw, and the 100$ i owe my cousin for buying me a WD 120 gig 8mb cache HD

I figure I get 10$ a day for lunch + i m selling a kvm on ebay I can have everything i need in 50 days or so IF everything goes well. I have many plans as what to do to this box.

1st i m going to be putting 2 x 120 mm blowholes over each chamber

2nd cutting out front panel for bezel and adding 2 fans

3rd a blowhole on the harddrive chamber side which will take air in and use the 2 back fans as intakes and use the 1 120 mm fan as exhaust.

4th I plan on putting a 5 inch lcd in the front drive bays or putting a 5inch flip up but reversing it so that the tv mount sits on top and when u pull the tv up and forward u see teh picture. from my brothers work

good to have a brother who works in car electronics and installs heh

5th a nice temperature monitor once i find one to my liking

6th paint all my drives to match the case

7th buy lots o hds and rounded ides

8th Take lots of pics during process and show u guys as I progress

9th i dont plan on rushing it going to do it over a period of time and weekends and when i have vacation.

This is going to be one of my last pc cases for awhile so i figure why not go all out After i'm done i'll have to find a good desk that allows me to put the case on top and show it off . IF anyone would like to donate to my little project feel free to leave me a msg lol

Last edited by Brando457; 02-03-2003 at 05:16 AM.